Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Avocets, Eagles, and Gulls

Some Avocets, Eagles, and Gulls

I thought I'd share a few of my recent bird images. They were taken between June 25th and July 1st. C&C welcome

American Avocet on Road ~ EF 300mm f/4L IS USM @ f/7.1, 1/2000, ISO 400.

"Talk is Cheap, but photo gear is not" - EF 300mm f/4L IS USM @ f/7.1, 1/1000, ISO 400. I couldn't find a way to avoid the harsh lighting on this one.

Almost-Adult Bald Eagle in Tree ~ EF 300mm f/4L IS USM @ f/7.1, 1/1600, ISO 500.

Glaucous-Winged Gulls on Beach ~ EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM @ 200mm, f/6.3, 1/800, ISO 500.

A freshwater Spring that eventually empties into the ocean ~ EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM @ f/5.6, 1/1000, ISO 640.

A Bald Eagle that just caught a salmon ~ EF 300mm f/4L IS USM @ f/6.3, 1/1000, ISO 400.

Two Shots of the Bald Eagle making off w/ the salmon ~ Both 300mm f/4L IS USM @ f/6.3, 1/1000, ISO 400.

And an Eagle resting in a tree ~ 300mm f/4L IS USM @ f/8.0, 1/800, ISO 320.

thanks for viewing and commenting.

brendan

Re: Some Avocets, Eagles, and Gulls

Nice shots, I wish I could come up with something like this. However, the picture of the seagulls seems oversaturated with colour, at least on my screen. The feet are too bright orange to look natural. The Bald eagle is suffers a bit from being shot from below. But the shots with the eagle that has caught a fish are really great. Particularly where it is about to land, where you can see the blood on the fish. Real wild-life photography that easily could be in any magasine. To me, that was the best. More of that, please []

I think it's your screen, it looks perfect to me.

John.

Thanks Lars! I'll see what I can do with those gulls.

Quote Originally Posted by Lars
    The Bald eagle is suffers a bit from being shot from below.

I'm surprised you noticed! For this one I had nowhere to go unfortunately...I'd be interested to see if anyone else has the same observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lars
    Real wild-life photography that easily could be in any magasine

I dunno about that....thanks!

brendan

Hi! brendan I like those shots. those eagle with fish are great catch. I like to see them a little tighter, so I edited one of them a little, hope you don't mind.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.54/DPP_5F00_00047.JPG[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto

Hi! brendan I like those shots. those eagle with fish are great catch. I like to see them a little tighter, so I edited one of them a little, hope you don't mind.

Thanks JJ, and I don't mind. I try not to crop most of my photos, and in this one I thought that the uncropped version gave more perspective...but that's just my opinion.

Have a nice weekend!

brendan

One more

Robin with a strawberry. EOS 300mm f/4L IS USM @ f/7.1, 1/500, ISO 640.

brendan...........love the 2nd shot of the eagle with the salmon, the one with his wings back coming at you.thats great, wish we had more eagles in southern ontario, there are some nesting outside of hamilton, but i havent been able to get close enough to get a good shot, and love the robin with a strawberry......lol.thats a good one. i have some shots of a robin feeding one of her fledglings.....havent taken them out of the camera yet to process, but when i do, i'll post a couple shots

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan7
    "Talk is Cheap, but photo gear is not" - EF 300mm f/4L IS USM @ f/7.1, 1/1000, ISO 400. I couldn't find a way to avoid the harsh lighting on this one.

Love this shot(2nd photo). Frankly I like the lightning the way it turned out [:P]

By the way those "action"photos are great! From time to time I see birds of prey, hawks and buzzards mostly, but I've never seen one with a prey. Very cool!

I also think Lars is right about the saturation. The second gull has really bright flippers and also the adult Bald Eagle in the tree seems to have it's beak just a little green... But that's pretty much all comment I would give!

Jan

Brendan, awesome eagle shots! The 2nd one where it's turned towards you is my fav! And you're doing an excellent job of selling me on the 300mm f/4... Do you have any other nature stuff you'd like to show off? []

Mike