Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PhotoVideoSuperstore.com - Anyone heard of it?

PhotoVideoSuperstore.com - Anyone heard of it?

They're advertising the 5DII for $1799...but they're the only store (web or brick n mortar) in that price range - everywhere else it's over $2K.

I can't find any info on photovideosuperstore.com .... has anyone heard of it, used it, know anything about it?

I'd love to save $300+ but ...

Here's the link:

http://www.photovideosuperstore.com/product.asp?id=15899

Re: PhotoVideoSuperstore.com - Anyone heard of it?

I wouldn't trust them. I get suspicious when someone tries to sell incompatible items as a kit, like their 5D Mark II Kit #1, which among other things, includes a "Canon 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 Standard Zoom Auto Focus Lens" (Canon has never made an EF-mount 18-55mm zoom, andphotovideosuperstore.comconveniently fails to mention they are bundling an EF-S lens that won't mount on a 5DII). Now, if they threw in a nice SDHC card for the 5DII, it would be a great bundle deal. [:P]

I haven't heard of them either, but one common tactic is the 'hard sell' where you place your order then the vendor calls you up and informs you of a delay in shipping, but they'll sell you this other product (at a higher price), or offer to 'expedite' your order for a fee (which is more than you 'saved' and since they already have a big chunk of your money...).

Caveat emptor. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

I found this list of reviews from NexTag. It doesn't look good. I would stay away too.

http://www.nextag.com/PhotoVideoSuperStore~4627576zzzreviewsz1zzzzmainz1 7-htm?filter_answer=3

Wow! that's awful. I had a bad feeling about it - glad I checked with you guys first. I couldn't find that NextTag review site, thanks for finding it for me.

I really had no intention of buying the 5DII right now anyway - but $1799 caught my eye...guess that's what they're counting on...

Thanks again you guys. I'll stick with B&H, best store in Manhattan! (and on the web)

As soon as I read the title I already thought "Uh-Ow".

Never trust a internet shop with a title that contains "Super"

I'm the one who always want to find the cheapest deal, but not this one, I don't know this store, but no, sounds too fishy.

Quote Originally Posted by canoli
    I'd love to save $300+ but ...

why not use some cash back program you can at least save about $170

Hmmm, interesting; looking at the overall rating they have scored a possible 4.5 out 5 stars as per Nexttag.

Looking at the kits for said body, it seems to me that they have no idea what they are doing.As for the lenses, good luck they seem to be EFS or APS-C only lenses with the exception of the very lastKit - LOL

I would stay away due to the same complaints. Pay the extra 300 bucks and deal with a reputable shop.

God knows what would happen if the camera or lens develops a problem.

I agree with Jorundr, internet store and Super don't mix!
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

canoli,

I usually check resellerratings.com. This store has a good score there but if you read the reviews and see what people are buying when they have had trouble the writting is on the wall. I vote "bait & switch" The last post and follow up by LolaT sums it up pretty good. She's a savy internet shopper.

ITMT, hang in there and save your $$$, and when the time is right you'll havea 5D MkII. I'm in the same boat and enjoying my old 5D none the less! That camera continues to out perform my expectations every outing. Now, if I was only as good a photographer as it is a camera. LOL!!

Cheers!!

I had a little time this afternoon so I called the number at the top their web page, out of curiosity, since it was too good to be true.

It went like this:
    1. After a few minutes guy one comes on and tells me he thinks it is out of stock. He puts me on hold for guy two who can help me.
    2. As I wait a long time on hold -- no big deal, I had it on speaker as I worked at my desk -- guy three comes on looking for a different customer, since I am not he I am placed back on hold.
    3. Finally, guy two comes on and I ask him "do you have them in stock?" He says "yes". I ask, "Does it include everything that is supposed to come with a 5D II?" he says "of course". I ask him what that is and the first thing I notice is that it does not include the battery. When I inquire as to the missing battery, he informs me "it is not included". If I want a kit with the battery, I need to buy the "magnesium body model" and as he is about to up-sell me to the much pricier magnesium model, I interrupt to inform him they are all magnesium bodies on the 5D II, he informs me they are not. "Only the USA models are magnesium, not the plastic import models." I tell him that is not true, the difference between Grey Market and USA models is warranty, not construction. He hung up on me, how dare I be an educated consumer!

In short, if it sounds too good to be true, it is. Having just got my 5D II, I highly recommend it, but I went to a reputable dealer and paid the price. However, it came from an authorized Canon dealer, included everything it is supposed to come with, and arrived two days after I ordered it.

I got mine at PCNation. I have purchase from them a few times and it has always been a good experience. I even had a defective product and it was handled in under a week using a "cross-ship". I returned the defective piece and they placed a hold on my credit card and shipped the replacement. One day after they received it they released the credit hold and done, just that easy. The guy I deal with is Steve Cromar. His e-mail is steven.c@pcnation.com, if you want to give him a try. I have no relationship with him other that customer-salesman. However, unlike some dealers out there, he does not put on the hard sell. He respects that I know what I want and ships it as ordered (free shipping). In addition, I always have it in three business days or less.

As has been previously said, save up and buy it from someone reputable.

Chris

Wow, Chris great story. I can't believe that they are so blatantly dishonest. I mean come on; no battery, magnesium body, and selling the wrong lens with the wrong body? Then.., in stock, out of stock, back ordered... I can't even make this stuff up.

So.., I guess you won't be giving them 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Rich