Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: World Cup Football!! Congratulations to Spain!!!

World Cup Football!! Congratulations to Spain!!!

Well it's a fact! The Netherlands are playing in the finales of the world cup football in South Africa! (soccer as some like to call it...) After defeating Uruguay yesterday we're through! WOWOWOWOW!![H]

I have no clue how big of a deal this is for most people around here (did you even know the US played as well??[A]), but it's HUGE in the Netherlands and at this moment also in Spain and Germany. Here in the Netherlands people all dress up in orange clothes and in the most silly outfits and there's absolutely nobody walking on the streets when there's a game on! Only the plaza's and the terraces of cafes are fully filled with fans watching the game together! (search for Dutch fans on google images for some ideas[:P])

Anyway, tonight Germany and Spain battle for finalist as well and I know there are some Germans around here....what do you think it's gonna be??

I truly hope Germany wins so we can have a final between the Netherlands and Germany, that would be awesome! Some true rivalry going on there...

Woooooo! I can't wait till sunday!

--Jan

Edit: Spain qualified tonight as the second finalist, so they will be playing against the Netherlands this Sunday!!
    <h2>Edit2: Spain defeated the Netherlands in yesterdays final game. Congratulations to the Spain!</h2>

Re: World Cup Football!! The Netherlands are through to finales!!

Too bad you guys didn't have the checkered pants like your atheletes had at the olympics! [:P] those were pretty sweet.

And I would love to see a Netherlands and Germany final as well, though Spain would be a much tougher opponent.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    The Netherlands are playing in the finales of the world cup football in South Africa!

yeah, that was a good game yesterday. Congrats on getting through. If Germany beats Spain today I'll be cheering for you in the last game. (Otherwise I gotta stick with my spanish speaking friends)

Good for the Netherlands! I've been watching this world cup and as an avid soccer fan am quite excited...

I will tell you that I am rooting for Germany. The Dutch will have their hands full whoever they play in the final, I don't know if their defense can handle Spain's tight passing game and ball possession or Germany's counterattacking. Or stop Schweinsteiger, Ozil and Klose. But ESPN predicts that Netherlands wins the final, though. for me it all boils down to Dirk Kuyt -- he will have to step up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    what do you think it's gonna be??

Germany vs Netherlands in the final. Germany wins in a shootout. that's my 2&cent; at least. If Netherlands does end up playing Spain I am clueless who'll win. Both sides have great midfield playmakers (though Spain's is arguably the better midfield with Alonso, Iniesta, and Xavi) and both have superb attacking players. The difference in that match will be Robin Van Persie. The Dutch need him to step up and score goals, especially against offensive powerhouses like Spain and Germany. Meanwhile, though, the Spanish have the same problem with Fernando Torres. IMO Van Persie and Torres are two underperforming top players who need to show everyone what they're made of.

Thomas Mueller is suspended for Germany, though. We'll see if that makes a big difference.

brendan

Hmm I guess some people do watch soccer [][Y]

Quote Originally Posted by mikehillman89
    checkered pants like your atheletes had at the olympics![img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]those were pretty sweet.
    <div>

Can't remember checkered pants, but I'm guessing you're referring to the female athletes? []

Indeed it's exiting what tonight's play brings us! I do have to agree that the Dutch will have a hard time in the finals no matter what the outcome of tonight will be. OF course my Dutch blood says we're going to be worldchampions, but the down to earth side of me doesn't agree with me []

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan7
    Germany vs Netherlands in the final. Germany wins in a shootout. that's my 2&cent; at least.
    </div>

Argg shootouts...let's hope not!

I agree with the rest of your analysis though. And yeah we'll see how Muller's absence will show tonight...

Talk to you guys later this evening []

<div>

Quote Originally Posted by Whatsreal
    If Germany beats Spain today I'll be cheering for you in the last game. (Otherwise I gotta stick with my spanish speaking friends)

[Y][Y][Y]
    </div>

So Spain vs Netherlands...

I'm not much of a soccer fan but I reckon the Aussie Socceroos are going to get a wildcard entry into the grand finals and take the Netherlands 43-0 []
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by mikehillman89

So Spain vs Netherlands...

Yup! Spain played very well this evening. A bit bumpy start where both teams seemed pretty equal, but Spain got better during the match and so we can see the Netherlands vs Spain this sunday! It's gonna be a touch cookie to crack for the Netherlands!

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor

I'm not much of a soccer fan but I reckon the Aussie Socceroos are going to get a wildcard entry into the grand finals and take the Netherlands 43-0 [img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]

You watch too many dance/talent-shows on TV Ben [:P] Haha! But I'm with you on wanting to see the Aussies vs the Dutch! I guess you're more a traditional rugby fan? Not the American football thing...

Rugby Union/ rugby league all the way mate. Been playing both since I was 7 years old, might be my last year though as the body's not holding up as it used to.

The final game in this year's State of Origin series or rugby league was played last night, it's the best series of football you could ever watch. 3 games, Queensland vs New South Wales and some of the most brutal footy you'll ever see... great stuff. Especially since QLD beat the pants off NSW.

Good luck tonight mate - I'm sure there'll be a few sneaky celebratory beers coming your way regardless of the result.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

some of the most brutal footy you'll ever see... great stuff

I know, I watched some games of the 2007 WC, but normally it's hard to find a rugby match on tv around here.. Soccer/football is our national sport and close are tennis, cycle racing, ice-skating in winters and kickboxing in a less commercial way. Other than that there must be some kind of WC or olympics before they show it on tv...

Rugby Union/ rugby league all the way mate. Been playing both since I was 7 years old, might be my last year though as the body's not holding up as it used to.

I could have guessed it [] Your getting old mate! [:P]

Good luck tonight mate - I'm sure there'll be a few sneaky celebratory beers coming your way regardless of the result.

The finals are played this sunday evening at 2030h (UTC+1), but yea the beers are flowing no matter what the outcome will be [B]

This saturday Uruguay vs Germany for 3rd and 4th place... although in football/soccer there's only 1 important place and that's number 1! But untill sunday, we'll just have to wait! [A]