Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd Body Choices!

2nd Body Choices!

Hi All,

First time poster here - pls go easy on me! [] I love this site and have read many a review here... really great work!

Keeping it short - im going on Safari in Sep for 2 weeks (in Zambia) and will bring the following along...

50D, 300/2.8, 17-55.2.8, 100/2.8 macro, 1/4x & the little S90

I am also waiting for my 70-200/2.8 to arrive which will replace my old friend, the 70-300 DO.

Now, i am wanting to get a second body and im in need of a little help! Should i stick to APS-C bodies and get the 7D given that i have a couple EF-S lenses (i also have the EF-S 10-22), or make the switch over to FF and go for the 5DmII? The majority of my photos are wildlife, followed by scenary/travel & portraits. I am concerned that if i went for the 5DmII that the mIII will come out straight afterwards!

Of course, i could always go for the 1DmIV but then i would probably end up in court with my wife rather than photographing wildlife in Zambia! [:P]

Any thoughts/suggestions/tips would be gratefully received!

Many thanks!

Re: 2nd Body Choices!

I guess it really depends on what you shoot. I personally don't see an advantage for full-frame, unless you want real wide stuff (now watch the flurry of responses to my bad claim here[:P]) but anyways,

my two cents is that functionally the 7D is better than the 5D. 7D is faster, 8fps vs 3fps, and has an awesome 19pt af system vs the smaller 9pt af system.

So yeah... That's my scoop

Enjoy your trip!

Mike

ps. welcome!

Thanks Mike!

After i got my 50D i told myself that my next camera would be FF to get the most out of my L lenses... but i completely see your point - the 7D would definitely be the better option if i could only take 1 body with me on the trip. However i just thought that by already owning the 50D it would make the 5D the better companion.

I guess i could i get both the 7D & 5D [] but then i might as well go for the 1D and the divorce!

Maybe you shouldn't take my advice, as I'm the guy with the wife who had to talk him into taking the 5dII plunge. I love my 5dII, takes amazing portraits and fits my needs perfectly.

That said, there are advantages to both the 7D and the 5dII. If you put your new 70-200 on a 5D, it instantly will be shorter than what you're used to. That, paired with the fact that you're replacing your 70-300, it will feel even shorter on a 5D. The 7D is like having lenses 1.6x as long as usual.

Plus, the 7D's auto focus isapparentlybetter (never used it), and it has a higher frame rate, which is my one real complaint against the 5dII (that and the 1/200 max sync speed, but I doubt you'll be setting up studio lights to shot the wildlife).

That all said, you already have the 50D, which is a nice camera, so your EF-S lenses won't be wasted, and if you need that extra bit of reach, you can but the 70-200 on the 50D instead. That way, when you get back home, you'll have more options for shooting whatever you like, with one FF and one crop body.

Tough choice. If/when I get a second body, it'll probably be a 7D (or its replacement), but that is because I already have my FF covered.

Go for the 7D. I'm not a wedding shooter, which seems to be one of the markets that's most enamored with the 5D2, but regardless I have to say that the 7D is a fantastic camera and an absolutely incredible value. I liked the 7D so much I bought another 7D three weeks later. The autofocus modes just make a lot of sense to a human, and would be so beneficial on safari. Also, the metering is quite intelligent - the camera cares mostly about portions of the frame that are in focus. Objects in shade are no longer so dark, though you'll lose detail on your background (a tradeoff I happen to love). Although I've never compared it, the 7D is a very responsive camera, especially next to a 5D.

My thought, for those who started with APS-C, is to get a second APS-C camera. Third camera could be a FF, allowing the first to be sold. Fourth camera could be a FF, allowing the second to be sold along with the EF-S glass. That said, ultra-wide is just so much cheaper with APS-C that I can't see why people go for FF so quickly.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Although a 7D makes your lenses 1.6 times longer than a full frame, you are losing light all the same. You are just cropping away the light instead of cropping it away optically. But the problem is the full-frame with an extender is better than a 1.6 crop.

So in reallity you are better off with a 2X with a 5D II on your 300mm f.2.8than a 1.4x on a 7D.

But the 7D is faster and has better AF and cheaper. So it's a toss up.

John.

Quote Originally Posted by SafariMonkey

I guess i could i get both the 7D & 5D [img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img] but then i might as well go for the 1D and the divorce!

My best bet would be:

- the 50D/7D combination with 300mm f2.8/with 1.4x extender for safari's. 7D would be better in this regard for the weather-sealing it offers(dusty safari??) and the improved focussing system.

- the 5D with your 70-200 for amazing portraits and street/city shots. I guess Zambia isn't that densely build that you'd need an extreme wide-angle. You probably have plenty of room to foot-zoom. Else bring your 10-24 if you're worried about the wide angle.

The 5D just offers(besides more expensive wide-angle) better image quality period (not only at high iso), better use of depth of field, which is very attractive in portraits (that's why these cameras are often used with weddings etc []) and it's just something you must see to believe. Although it's focus sisn't up to the 7D etc, I wouldn't trade my 5D2 for a 7D, not even for sports. (But I might be biased because the one time/day only I used the 7D for action-photography, it didn't serve me the way I was hoping it would do)

But that's just what I would do!

Jan

Edit: almost forget to mention: WELCOME!!! [] I'd love to see some footage of Zambia when you return [:P]

For wildlife, the 7D trumps the 5D2 in almost every regard. It will give you a lot that your 50D can't. The 5D and 7D are oriented for different uses and complement each other very well.

I would suggest you buy a 7D, although the best option would be to:

1. Sell the 50D

2. Buy the 5D2 AND 7D

And don't worry about a new camera. The new camera doesn't make the old one work any differently, and the 5D Mark II is an excellent camera.

Quote Originally Posted by SafariMonkey
    Should i stick to APS-C bodies and get the 7D given that i have a couple EF-S lenses (i also have the EF-S 10-22), or make the switch over to FF and go for the 5DmII?

Canon NEEDS a FF 1D body. Right now, there is no perfect wildlife body - the 5D2 has great IQ but is too slow, the 7D doesn't have the fastest frame rates, 1D durability, or superb high-ISO performance, the 1Ds is slow and expensive, and the 1D4 is APS-H which IMO is a very awkward format. It doesn't increase your EFL much, and hurts wide-angle performance. But if the 1D4 will put you at odds with the wife, then the 7D is the body to get. And if you can add a 5D2 on, even better.

brendan

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    I wouldn't trade my 5D2 for a 7D, not even for sports

Then you haven't used a 7D enough []

They are different cameras that complement each other, not compete with each other. The 5D2's IQ is much better, but the 7D gives you much better AF and more than twice the frame rate. A 3fps burst doesn't compare to an 8fps burst. But ISO 6400 on a 7D doesn't compare to ISO 6400 on a 5D2.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan7
    Canon NEEDS a FF 1D body. Right now, there is no perfect wildlife body - the 5D2 has great IQ but is too slow, the 7D doesn't have the fastest frame rates, 1D durability, or superb high-ISO performance, the 1Ds is slow and expensive, and the 1D4 is APS-H which IMO is a very awkward format. It doesn't increase your EFL much, and hurts wide-angle performance.

Thats exactally why I like Nikon for speed, they have a fast FF. Actually, I am even thinking about a D700. Since I can convert all my old lenses to whatever I want.8 fps FF, yeah! You get great noise of a FF and speed of a 7D.

John.