I am a serious amateur with a few good lenses (70-200 f/4 IS, 17-40 f/4 and 50 f/1.4) and a sad little XS body. It's time for an upgrade. In particular I would like better burst shooting, better AF and metering, better high ISO performance, and the ability to print larger format canvas and metal prints. Video is a great bonus.

I am not looking at full frame bodies because (1) they are too costly and (2) I want the extra reach of an APS-C sensor.

I'm willing to pay the $1600 for the 7d, but not without hesitation. I am a little spooked by the vocal minority out there who HATE this camera for its supposed AF and poor sharpness issues. I know Bryan C's review on this site says to just crank up the sharpness setting and forget about it, but at $1600, the vocal minority just has me worried.

Alternatively, I could go for the t2i, which best I can tell is like a junior 7d, and have serious money left over for more glass (I might then sell the 17-40 and get a 24-70 or 24-105, or add ).

Or maybe something else?

I thought about the 50d, but its reviews seem more mixed, it doesn't do video, and apparently it's about to be replaced.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Brian