Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Display Focal Length

Display Focal Length

I just upgraded to my first DSLR (T2i), and have a quick question. When using the camera to review the pictures you have taken, is there any place that displays what the focal length was for the picture? I know it is in the EXIF data, but it would be nice to see without having to download the picture to my PC.

Re: Display Focal Length

I just looked through the T2i manual, and I'm not sure it's possible to display the focal length of a given image in-camera. I thought it would be displayed if you hit the "DISPLAY" button a couple of times, but that seems to be just about the only relevant information that isn't readily available.

Anyone else?

Not as far as I know. You need to remember, or check the EXIF data on your computer later. Or, use a prime lens... [:P]

Is this just the T2i, or is this true for most DSLR's

Quote Originally Posted by LJ2b2c

Is this just the T2i, or is this true for most DSLR's

True for all of the Canon ones, AFAIK. I can say from personal experience that neither the T1i nor the 7D can display the focal length during image review.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    I can say from personal experience that neither the T1i nor the 7D can display the focal length during image review.

Or the rebel XT, 1DIIN, or 5DII.

I was quite annoyed by this at first. By now it is just one of those Canon stupidities I've gotten used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    I can say from personal experience that neither the T1i nor the 7D can display the focal length during image review.

Or the rebel XT, 1DIIN, or 5DII.

I was quite annoyed by this at first. By now it is just one of those Canon stupidities I've gotten used to.

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

The 50D can't display the focal length either AFAIK

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

Perhaps a stupid question, but why would you need to see the focal length when viewing your photo in-camera? I'm not seeing the need for it.

After reading some of the reviews of the kit lens that came with my T2i, they seem to indicate that it is sharpest within a certain range. After taking a few pictures, I was trying to see how they fell within that range.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    why would you need to see the focal length when viewing your photo in-camera?

Quote Originally Posted by LJ2b2c
    After reading some of the reviews of the kit lens that came with my T2i, they seem to indicate that it is sharpest within a certain range. After taking a few pictures, I was trying to see how they fell within that range.

Well, I can think of worse places to judge image sharpness than reviewing them on the 3" LCD on the back of the camera. But honestly, I'd have to think really hard, and probably not have much luck. A 12" VGA computer monitor smeared with vaseline might be worse, for example.

If you want to critically review your image sharpness/focus, the camera isn't the place to do that. Same goes for evaluating exposure based on the image itself - the histogram(s) should become your best friend(s)!