Thread: Boston @ Toronto july 11 2010

Boston @ Toronto july 11 2010

red sox vs blue jays afternoon game. took about 380 pictures during the game, had my bag searched going in, they at first didnt believe me that my backpack was a camera bag. lol. i kept my 100-400L lens on the whole game, and for the first 3 innings, was not a happy camper at all, the had the skydome partially open, so there was a big honking shadow right through the pitchers mound, no matter what settings i tried, the light and dark on on either litsch or matsuzaka was playing havoc with my metering, didnt want to fool around too much, so i just shot and hoped for the best. i'll post one pic for now, till i go thru all 382, find what i like and process in DPP, and possibly CS5. i picked a shot of bautista fouling off a shot behind him into backstop.

100-400L lens at 300mm, f/5.6, 1/1250s, iso 800. home plate was in complete shade, processed in DPP to correct exposure and contrast, and a touch of sharpening, and just shrunk in CS5, no further processing

let me know what you all think, and i'll post more shots as i process them out of RAW

jim

Re: Boston @ Toronto july 11 2010

pic 2.......world cup fans at the wrong stadium [:P] good to see them show up for the baseball game though and have a good time []. took this from the first base side, from the 100 level concourse behind the seating, they were way over behind 3rd base/left field in the 200 level......

at 400mm, f/5.6, 1/1250s, iso800. i'm an idiot [:P]......i seen them on the jumbotron, and just swung over to them to get a shot with out changing camera settings, shot taken in full shade, processed in dpp to try and get better expose. too much damn noise in the shot IMHO[] i shoulda thought, and did better.

jim

P.S. WAY TO GO SPAIN!!!!!!! congrats on first ever world cup victory[]

Sounds like you had fun. I wouldn't worry about the noise in your second pic. It is barely perceptible (on your web post at least). More importantly, it is a photo for memory, not for winning a competition. That is how I see those types of photos anyways. Can't wait to see some of your other shots.

Braden

thought of you Jim (watching on TV) when they announced an issue w/the dome and I saw that shadow....hope you were still able to get some pitcher pix.

nice capture at home plate, though I think I would have been shooting a slower shutter for more bat and ball movement.

your not changing your settings for the shot of the fans in stands has been done by each and everyone of us....it's a right of passage that will be repeated. BTW, as Braden mentioned; the noise isn't bad.

hope you enjoyed the ballgame.....

Nice shots Jim!

Shots are tough when the dome is open.

Mike

thanks braden, bill, and mike......i had lots of fun......got asked by a lot of people about my lens[:P], maybe cause i was in the stands, and on the concourse level and not in the press box with the rest of the big white lens' [] anyway, here are 3 more shots of the game.

@400mm, 1/1600s, f/f.6, iso 500, glad the shadow moved[]

@400mm, 1/1000s, f/6.3, iso 400

@400mm, 1/400s, f/7.1, iso800

jim

Hey Jim....post more Sox pix will ya....LOL.

the first piclooks like the ball got away from the pitcher, good form for Dice-K and I hope the 3rd pic is cropped to fit and you really didn't cut the catcher off.

Keep 'em coming.

Nice shots Jim [Y] Those hats make it very hard to get a good exposure on the faces, especially with that high sun, but you achieved to make something good out of it. Nice!

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W
    the first piclooks like the ball got away from the pitcher

nah, thats how jesse pitches, he always has a real high release, you would never notice except when you catch the ball in a photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W
    and I hope the 3rd pic is cropped to fit and you really didn't cut the catcher off.

actually, i didnt crop that photo at all, i know i should have, sometimes i just get lazy [:P] lol

and thanks jan, i appreciate the praise. especially since i am a first time sports photographer []

and and easy way for everyone to see a bunch of my pics from the game, here is a link to my facebook album, i have about 100 shots up there http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=188680&id=655037171 they should be visable to everyone, if they are not, let me know, and i will corerect that.

jim

Quote Originally Posted by lynx0069
    they should be visable to everyone, if they are not, let me know, and i will corerect that.

I don't have facebook so I can't see them I guess? "everyone" means everyone with a facebook account? [:P]

Quote Originally Posted by lynx0069
    especially since i am a first time sports photographer [img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

It's not that hard. With sports it's about getting emotion/action, because those are about the only factors that separates your pictures from another ones. In other words: everyone(read: almost everyone [:P]) can take a photo of an athlete sprinting, however taking "that" picture of the athlete where you see his/her emotion and effort to win is something different []

This counts even more for sports where you can't see emotion due to helmets etc. For example taking a "special" picture at an enduro motocross event is very hard. There are almost no mentionable jumps are action parts which would make a great shot and you can't or barely can see emotion due to the helmets. In those cases you need to get creative to get a "special" shot which separates you from the rest.

But it's not difficult per se...good luck Jim!

Jan