Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WANTED: advice/opinion on photo editing software.

Re: WANTED: advice/opinion on photo editing software.

I own both PS and LR3, but my post processing time is almost exclusively spentin Lightroom 3. In addition to fairly powerful editing functions in LR, the output functions are powerful and very easy to learn and use. The only disapointments i have had with LR was its noise reduction in previous verisons. But, in LR 3, the noise reduction is very clean. Since buying Lighroom it is very rare that I even open Photoshop. I should have asked the same question you are asking when I started taking an interest in digital photography.

Bob
    Bob

Thank you all...for the helpful advice. I am a bit of a novice to photography and editing...so this is helpful. I purchased a Canon 50D last year and have been learning about my camera too!

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams
    I own both PS and LR3

Bob- are you comparing LR3 to creative suite or to elements?

The $239 price is likely the education version. Be prepared to prove your credentials as either a student or employee of a college or university through a mildly confusing process. All you will be able to do is use it as a trial straight out of the box.

I use CS4 and recently LR3. I rarely open photoshop these days unless I need to do something with layers. LR3 is only $90 through the education program if you qualify.

So, if I understand this correctly...you do NOT need a version of Photoshop CS3, etc - in order to get Lightroom or Elements. In addition, I have seen the results of Onone Plug-ins and really like that software as well, but I think a version of Photoshop is required?

Thanks again!

Pretty much. There are plugins available for lightroom but the majority require photoshop. Lightroom is an independent program and does not require photoshop to run.

I've also used lightroom extensively and you can make a lot of adjustments with it. I do like to work with layers though which is whyI predominantly use photoshop.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams
    I own both PS and LR3

Bob- are you comparing LR3 to creative suite or to elements?

<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I am comparing to creative suite---I don't own and have never used PS Elements
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Lindado

Hello, Photoshop is top notch software, obviously, but it doesn't come cheap (look at adobe site, it's about $700, so I think the sites that offer it for $239 could be just a scam). I think it's the only professional program for editing images (I used to use GIMP, but it's not as powerful as Photoshop)
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Fishy site for sure.I checked under shipping &amp; returns and found this statement:

Return Policy
    Our Guarantee!
    We are dedicated to providing our customers with top quality home fitness products and nutritional supplements.

LOL

Haha I suppose you could eat the box it comes in. Not many calories there!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

OMG - I just noticed that! That pretty much says it all - SCAM!!!!! (I kindly sent them a message)

Thx,

JKP