Thread: Aperture 3 vs. Lightroom 3

Aperture 3 vs. Lightroom 3

And go! Serioulsly, tell me what you know about either of these programs. Has anyone used both? What has your experience been?

Re: Aperture 3 vs. Lightroom 3

Hi Mark,

First of all, I've only truly used Aperture, but tried out Lightroom a few times and from an Apple user perspective, Aperture just made way more sense to me. I didn't like the Library/Develop etc. modes in Lightroom, but they both have quite a (common) feature set. Some say they prefer the Aperture's RAW rendering, but in the end it mostly comes down to personal preference. When using Aperture is was surprised how nice it handled external editors like Photoshop, really seamless. Whereas Lightroom is really tightly integrated in CS.

BTW, here is a thread comparing Aperture 2 vs. Lightroom 2 op TDP.

Joël

After a brief round with the trial version of either program, I settled on Aperture, because it integrates better with the other Apple software, and I don't use anything else from Adobe.

So I only used Lightroom very briefly, which was enough to notice that one feature was actually more powerful than in Aperture: For a BW conversion, Aperture gives you sliders for the three colour channels, but Lightroom gives you more fine-grained control with IIRC six colour channels.

(Quite frankly, I'd like to have the choice of either, a simple low-level addition of weighted colour channels, and a more elaborate one like Lightroom, although going beyond: Choice of how many and which colours, choice of form and strength of the fall-off function, etc.)

Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Colin500

(Quite frankly, I'd like to have the choice of either, a simple low-level addition of weighted colour channels, and a more elaborate one like Lightroom, although going beyond: Choice of how many and which colours, choice of form and strength of the fall-off function, etc.)

Colin

Aperture actually does give you both. Convert to B&W, the pallette will open with the RGB sliders but you can also use the Color Palette and do a more precise fine tune adjustment.

<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';"]Thanks for your replies everyone. I'm going to download the trial version to see how it feels. One thing that annoyed me with Lightroom (trial version experience) was the different tabs for Library and Develop. That's not the biggest deal in the world though. I just wish I had the foresight to install the trial version at the same time as my LR3 beta version long since expired :-(<o></o>

Well since everyone is such an Aperture fan here I should show my love for Lightroom!

Truly Mark, no program is better than Lightroom! Apple products are for fashion-junkies who don't know what they're talking about, trust me they go crazy by seeying the Apple-logo where it's all about. Aperture might bebetter looking on the outside and sold in a nice stylish package, but true love is in the inside: Lightroom.

Buy Lightroom and find out that your photos will win contest after contest. Your photos will be more vibrant, better looking, better selling, better everything! Everytime I use Lightroom I feel like a kid in a candystore, it's too good to be true!

Right!....back to seriousness []

I never used aperture and honestly I have no clue what it looks like or how it functions. I only used Lightroom and DPP and I must say that I'm absolutely not a fan of DPP. Lightroom gives me a total package and I'm happy with it. The library-editor tab-thingy is something that also bothered me in the beginning, (to be honest, sometimes it still bothers me a little) but after a while it functions very good. For the more basic editing and the multiple file-adjusting it works great. For the more serious work you use the editor. Anyway I like that they give both options, easy and advanced, although I had rather seen it in 1 single mode with advanced-tabs or something.

I must say that I like the workflow and the integration of multiple other programs like Photoshop, Photomatix and others.

The thing I also like are the Library with importing and especially the exporting to files, but also the exporting to online-services and flash/html slideshows and webtemplates.

Anyway I'm a satisfied user of Lightroom. It works for me so I won't be making a change to Aperture anytime soon []

Sorry for the true Apple-fanatics between us, please don't take it all to serious [A]

Jan

I just have to jump on this band wagon----Yes, I am a huge Lightroom fan; and though I have never used Aperture I understand it is quite good as well. I have to say that the complete workflow layout and designis what I love the most about Lightroom. From Upload to output, lightroom has most anything the average photog needs or wants. Even when it comes to adjustments on specific areas of a photo, I would rather use the adjustment/burn/dodge tools in Lightroom, than jump in to layers in CS 3.4.5.......

Normally, If my photos are so bad that I need CS/PS to repair, adjust or re-fabricate them, I just don'tbother.Of Course, I also don't have to make my living from my photographs---If I did, I might have a different opinion.

I will say, That I do wish Adobe would put a nice selection of easy to use frame templatesin this software. There are plugins that allows you to put borders on your photos, but no frames that I can find. So, If I want to frame my work for presentation, I do have to use photoshop and orsome 3rd party software.

Bob

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams
    If I want to frame my work for presentation, I do have to use photoshop and orsome 3rd party software.

I didn't think I was that old, but when I read "frame my work for presentation" I thought of prints and gallery frames, not Photoshop and Powerpoint.

[:P]

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    I didn't think I was that old, but when I read "frame my work for presentation" I thought of prints and gallery frames, not Photoshop and Powerpoint.

Ya Know, Your right, That sounded strange to me as well when I typed it --I guess it is an age thing. Anyway, I got to looking and found a frames plugin for Lightroom and am getting ready to download the trial and give it a shot. It's OnOne's Photoframe pro 4.5 and can be found here: http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=18

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Ya Know, Your right, That sounded strange to me as well when I typed it --I guess it is an age thing. Anyway, I got to looking and found a frames plugin for Lightroom and am getting ready to download the trial and give it a shot. It's OnOne's Photoframe pro 4.5 and can be found here: http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=18

Bob