Thread: Need help with Black and White conversion

Need help with Black and White conversion

Hey there,

30 september I need to shoot a wedding. And the couple also wants some black and white shots. The fact is that I have a hard time coming up with a proper black/white photo. I just can't seem to get a nice and good toned black-white photo.

Are there any programs/plug-inns you use? I'm very curious on how you do it, because I think beautiful black and white is a true art which I don't poses.

At least pushing the sliders to monochrome in Lightroom doesn't really work out that well.

I use Lightroom 3 and CS5.

Thanks!

Jan

Re: Need help with Black and White conversion

Are you not happy with any of the default Lightroom 3 B&W presets?

Agree, black and white is a true art. I have been working with B&W the last 2-3 years and have come to see it that way.

I have been using the same plug-in for almost 3 years now, it is called B&W Styler, you can see for your self if you like it http://thepluginsite.com/products/photowiz/bwstyler/index.htm

Some people prefer this some prefer that when it comes to B&W conversion. I think the key is to make best use of the tools you have.

- Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by cfnz

Are you not happy with any of the default Lightroom 3 B&W presets?

Nah I tried all of them, but they don't give me the look I want. There's always something not right and in most of those cases I'm not directly sure of what to change so it looks better.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rasmussen

Agree, black and white is a true art. I have been working with B&W the last 2-3 years and have come to see it that way.

I have been using the same plug-in for almost 3 years now, it is called B&W Styler, you can see for your self if you like it http://thepluginsite.com/products/photowiz/bwstyler/index.htm

I'll check it out when my pc is up and running again. Need to re-install everything this afternoon or tomorrow, but so far it looks good.

Some people prefer this some prefer that when it comes to B&W conversion. I think the key is to make best use of the tools you have.

I know and therefor I'd like to get as many tips as possible [] I really struggle with black and white so all help is welcome.

I tried to make a portrait of a baby in black and white, but I couldn't get a good one. Mainly because sometimes the baby looked more dead than alive in my black and white attempts while I have seen great black and white shots of babies...sigh...time to practice!

Thanks already and all other input is welcome!

Jan

Jan,

The way I see it you can make two sorts of images, the technical correct ones and the artistic ones. I have been playing several musical instruments since the mid -70´s and improvisation is what I like most. When I started to work on b&w images I first tried to make everything technical correct. They were ok, but not what I wanted. Then I decided to stop thinking about if it is technical correct or not and started to focus on the artistic aspect. ( Improvisation ) Then I got much better results.

My suggestion: Do not focus on the tools right now. It does not matter if you are using Lightroom, Photoshop or a plug-in. Instead go buy a book or go to the library and get a book with lots of b&w images. Study them, pick the ones you like, then try to replicate the ones you like. When you master that you have come a long way.

In order to make great b&w´s you need an idea to work from, a starting point. That´s where a book filled with b&w images can come in handy. Every time I start working on an b&w image I study it carefully until I get a clear idea what I want do to with it. It can take several weeks from the shooting till I start working on it. My lesson is this: No clear idea = no good result. (Most of the time )

Lightroom is a nice tool by the way. I am using it now and then. The b&w conversion tool in combination with brushes and dodge&burn will cover most of your needs. My most used b&w tools are the plug-in mentioned and dodge and burn in Photoshop.

You can of course buy "one-click" plug-ins and scroll through a list of presets. It can be a starting point and help you get going.

There are no short cuts I´m afraid, just a lot of work ahead if you want great b&w images. ( But you already know that.. )[]

- Johnny

There are a lot of books out there that can be recommended. I know that Michael Freeman writes books that are easy to understand for amateurs like myself (you are perhaps a few steps above amateur?). You could check that out, it is available on amazon (haven't read it myself): The Complete Guide to Digital Black and White Photography (Complete Guides) <span class="ptBrand"]by Michael Freeman. If you come across another easy guide for B&amp;W photpgraphy, let me know, I am always interested in gaining more knowledge on digital photography.

Lars

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    Are there any programs/plug-inns you use

http://www.kubotaimagetools.com/actions.html

Heard this guy was pretty good with his plugins, but do agree B&amp;W photos are subjective.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

rzFoto

B&amp;W reqiues different lighting than color - something software can't do. Nevertheless, I have some actions that might be useful to you. I can email to you if you are interested.

Richard

Hey people, thanks for replying!

My suggestion: Do not focus on the tools right now. It does not matter if you are using Lightroom, Photoshop or a plug-in. Instead go buy a book or go to the library and get a book with lots of b&amp;w images. Study them, pick the ones you like, then try to replicate the ones you like. When you master that you have come a long way.

I guess that's a good idea as well, Johnny. Now that you mention it, I have a book and I'm pretty sure it mentions a chapter about B&amp;W...can't believe I never thought of that

The b&amp;w conversion tool in combination with brushes and dodge&amp;burn will cover most of your needs. My most used b&amp;w tools are the plug-in mentioned and dodge and burn in Photoshop.

Well the point is, that I really need to know how and where to start. I guess if my start will be OK I'm more than curious enough to play around with it until I achieve what I want.

You can of course buy "one-click" plug-ins and scroll through a list of presets. It can be a starting point and help you get going.

After that I have no clue what to change [:P]

There are no short cuts I&acute;m afraid, just a lot of work ahead if you want great b&amp;w images. ( But you already know that.. )[img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

Yeah well I didn't expect anything like that, but of course it would be nice []

Quote Originally Posted by Lars
    There are a lot of books out there that can be recommended
    <div>Thanks for the suggestion Lars, although English is not my native language and so English books aren't always available here. I'll start with what I have and keep searching.</div>
    <div>
    <div>

you are perhaps a few steps above amateur?

Nah definitely not in any aspect and when it comes to portraiture and B&amp;W I'm a total newbie [] but that's ok [:P]

<div>

If you come across another easy guide for B&amp;W photpgraphy, let me know, I am always interested in gaining more knowledge on digital photography.

Will do!

Quote Originally Posted by andnowimbroke

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    Are there any programs/plug-inns you use

http://www.kubotaimagetools.com/actions.html

Heard this guy was pretty good with his plugins, but do agree B&amp;W photos are subjective.

Looks great! But...kinda expensive I think...at least for my kind of usage. Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by rzFoto

B&amp;W reqiues different lighting than color - something software can't do. Nevertheless, I have some actions that might be useful to you. I can email to you if you are interested.

Richard

That would be great Richard! I will PM you []

Thanks again everybody and still every tip and hint is welcome!

Jan

</div>

</div>
    </div>