Hey everyone,

Just wanted to get some opinions about having a Back-Up camera body, and more so, its importance to me and my situation in life at the moment, so bare with me while i explain!

Currently i own the 5Dmk2, and before that i had the 40D. I sold the 40D for a reasonable price (a bit cheaper for a friend), and used the funds towards the new 5D. Anyways, this year, i start my first year of Uni, which goes for 3 years, and as it stands, i have just the 1 camera body. My concern and debate is about whether i need another right now. Part of me wishes i just kept the 40D as a spare, even though it would just sit in the bag forever because of having a Full-Frame camera. So there is probably a bit of sellers remorse atm.

I know the benefits of a 2nd camera body, and none more important than if your main body fails at an inopportune time, you can finish the shoot. But, i am not Pro yet and am not getting payed to do stuff on the spot, where getting the shot there and then is mandatory. Uni won't require a 2nd body, but i will no doubt do a bit of work side to side, where the 2nd body will be needed (i will be shooting a work mates wedding in a few months - nervous about that one!).

So options are to just borrow a body for the particular shoot, regardless of what it is. The 5Dmk2 will be used for 100% of my photography for the next 3 years+, guaranteed. But its that 'what if' i need to be concerned about. Another option is to buy a 50D, benefit from its high res sensor, and speed and crop if i do shoot some birds or sports. And last option, is to buy a FF, either an old 5D, or another 5Dmk2. I prefer landscapes and portraits, which is why i prefer FF than crop, but I do enjoy nature stuff, animals birds etc.

I can only afford a 50D now (only just), maybe a 5D a bit later, but another 5Dmk2 will have to wait until i get a job after Uni for sure. I don't want to spend more money on a body atm, as i need to get a 580ex2, a good tripod, and other things which are more important.

Thoughts and ideas appreciated!

Cheers.