Thread: Back-Up Camera Body - Do i need it right now? And if so, crop or FF?

Back-Up Camera Body - Do i need it right now? And if so, crop or FF?

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to get some opinions about having a Back-Up camera body, and more so, its importance to me and my situation in life at the moment, so bare with me while i explain!

Currently i own the 5Dmk2, and before that i had the 40D. I sold the 40D for a reasonable price (a bit cheaper for a friend), and used the funds towards the new 5D. Anyways, this year, i start my first year of Uni, which goes for 3 years, and as it stands, i have just the 1 camera body. My concern and debate is about whether i need another right now. Part of me wishes i just kept the 40D as a spare, even though it would just sit in the bag forever because of having a Full-Frame camera. So there is probably a bit of sellers remorse atm.

I know the benefits of a 2nd camera body, and none more important than if your main body fails at an inopportune time, you can finish the shoot. But, i am not Pro yet and am not getting payed to do stuff on the spot, where getting the shot there and then is mandatory. Uni won't require a 2nd body, but i will no doubt do a bit of work side to side, where the 2nd body will be needed (i will be shooting a work mates wedding in a few months - nervous about that one!).

So options are to just borrow a body for the particular shoot, regardless of what it is. The 5Dmk2 will be used for 100% of my photography for the next 3 years+, guaranteed. But its that 'what if' i need to be concerned about. Another option is to buy a 50D, benefit from its high res sensor, and speed and crop if i do shoot some birds or sports. And last option, is to buy a FF, either an old 5D, or another 5Dmk2. I prefer landscapes and portraits, which is why i prefer FF than crop, but I do enjoy nature stuff, animals birds etc.

I can only afford a 50D now (only just), maybe a 5D a bit later, but another 5Dmk2 will have to wait until i get a job after Uni for sure. I don't want to spend more money on a body atm, as i need to get a 580ex2, a good tripod, and other things which are more important.

Thoughts and ideas appreciated!

Cheers.

Re: Back-Up Camera Body - Do i need it right now? And if so, crop or FF?

I would keep the 40D if i were you.. because you have 5Ds MKII already...for me my 1st body 1D MKII and 2nd body 1Ds MKIII.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathew Wilson

I know the benefits of a 2nd camera body, and none more important than if your main body fails at an inopportune time, you can finish the shoot. But, i am not Pro yet and am not getting payed to do stuff on the spot, where getting the shot there and then is mandatory. Uni won't require a 2nd body, but i will no doubt do a bit of work side to side, where the 2nd body will be needed (i will be shooting a work mates wedding in a few months - nervous about that one!).

So options are to just borrow a body for the particular shoot, regardless of what it is. The 5Dmk2 will be used for 100% of my photography for the next 3 years+, guaranteed. But its that 'what if' i need to be concerned about. Another option is to buy a 50D, benefit from its high res sensor, and speed and crop if i do shoot some birds or sports. And last option, is to buy a FF, either an old 5D, or another 5Dmk2. I prefer landscapes and portraits, which is why i prefer FF than crop, but I do enjoy nature stuff, animals birds etc.

I can only afford a 50D now (only just), maybe a 5D a bit later, but another 5Dmk2 will have to wait until i get a job after Uni for sure. I don't want to spend more money on a body atm, as i need to get a 580ex2, a good tripod, and other things which are more important.

That second body comes in handy if your main camera ever has to go to Canon. Think repair or 'recall'. If you can live without a camera for 2-4 days (until you could possibly rent a replacement) at ANY time, you're probably fine without a backup body. Also, how many lenses do you have? A second body can significantly reduce the frequency of lens changes, keeping sensors and lenses cleaner. Sometimes that second body can serve as a great lens holder for those times when you want to take two lenses to use on one body but don't want (or can't) take a bag.

I will say that a backup body should be very close to the main in user interface. I go between a 1D3, my girlfriend's 40D, and a Rebel XTi; I hate the vastly different Rebel UI as a result. I know it's quick to get to several menu items, but that's not really what I'm after.

Flip side: you might enjoy having a crop body as backup for your bird/animal photography.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Sometimes you got to do what you got to do. I was fortunate to financially keep my 40D when I bought my 5D2. I like having it around mostly for sentimental reasons right now, but once I'm over the buzz of the the 5D2 I'll start using the 40D for telephoto work, sports and air show stuff. Right now I just want to use the 5D2 for everything.

The security is nice incase something does come up with the 5D2. I'm not expecting anything, but you never know.

I shoot a lot of weddings and a back-up is a MUST for me. The bride will not re-schedule if my equipment fails. That said, I have an XT and an XTi as back-ups to my 1D mkII. My daughter shoots a lot of reception candids with the back-up equipment and we have no problems with image quality. It's amazing what $2,000 worth of glass will do on a $500 camera body.

You can find XT's and XTi's on e-bay for $200-$300 and Adorama has refurbished XTi's for $299.

"It's amazing what $2,000 worth of glass will do on a $500 camera body"

Without a doubt!

G'day,

Much of this has been covered in the earlier posts, but there are several different ways of looking at this question.

When I'm on a paid job I travel with a mountain of gear in several bags - 2 cameras (1D IIN and 5D), 3 flash guns, an overlapping range of lenses, two tripods, spare batteries, CF cards, filters, remote release, M80 (to immediately backup each CF card when I change it). etc. I'm also likely to take - depending on the job - light stands, reflectors, diffuser, umbrellas, studio light, background cloths, background stands ... and an assistant (my wife) to help carry and keep track of the gear.

This is all necessary because you cannot afford to have "a single point of failure." If someting fails on site you simply must have a contingency plan so you can keep going. (My special paranoia is getting the CF cards backed up so that, as soon as humanly possible, every image file is stored in two separate places.)

No amateur is going to subject themselves to all this.

When I'm out for fun or on holidays or whatever, I tend to take one camera (generally the less conspicuous 5D) with one or two light lenses (favourites here are the 24-105 and the 70-200 f4) plus one flash gun along with a spare battery and extra CF cards in one small Lowepro bag. I can carry this all day and not look like I need a baggage train.

My point is that once you start to look at redundancy you need to look at a lot more than just an extra body.

On the other hand, there is more than one reason to carry a second body. The best reason is that you can have two cameras with different lenses immediately ready. I do this quite often for church events (weddings/christenings/first communions) when I'll put the 85 f1.2 on the 5D (without flash) and the 70-200 f2.8IS (with flash) on the 1D.

Outdoors (eg an airshow) you may not want to be changing lenses all that often, for fear of dust as much as anything.

Watch the photographers on the sidelines at most sporting events. They'll generally have one camera with a big white lens (eg 400 f2.8) on a monopod plus another with a shorter lens (24-70 f2.8 or 70-200 f2.8) around their neck.

In your case, as someone starting out and on a limited student's budget, I would strongly advise building up you lens inventory in preference to carrying a second body.

My two cents, FWIW.

Cheers,

I agree more lens first. But, I have 2 bodies because I didn't want to have downtime when I sent my first one in for repair.

Since then, the only time I really carry or use the second body is when I have an expectation of farily equal photo opportunities between a super zoom and a wide angle. So, in outdoor wildlife opportunities I keep the 100-400 mount on a tri or mono pod and sling the wide angle around my neck for the landscape opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallasphotog

It's amazing what $2,000 worth of glass will do on a $500 camera body.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Definitely. I'd suggest a 10D. That's what I use. It's a bargain for the price (under $300). I've been putting most of my money into quality lenses, so I don't have a backup yet. :-)

Alan

I know it's too late now, but I would have kept your 40D. Since you do landscapes and portraits, this camera is better suited with a telephoto lens body, such as the 100-400, where you end up with 640 mm on the long end.

I agree with the posters that having more than one body is the way to go.

I was able to pick up a used 5D from my cousin, my first FF body. He sold it to me for a song. I already had the 40D, then picked up the 5DMk2.

When I go on vacation, the Mk2 is raring to go with a wide angle lens, and my old faithful 5D with an intermediate zoom, and the 40D with a long zoom.

I'm covered for every situation.

Look at an extra camera body as another lens, in terms of money outlayed (you'll always want more lenses, especially when you catch the "L" disease!).