Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Portrait for C&C

Another Portrait for C&C

Hi guys! I turn to you again for another critique on my try on another setup portrait shoot. This one is kinda soft as it's a only a crop from a head-to-waist portrait orientation shot.

1000D + 50mm @ 50mm, f/2.8, 1/200sec, ISO 200

Again, thank you for viewing and sharing your thoughts.

- Angelo
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com

Re: Another Portrait for C&C

I really like it, but I don't do portraits and know less than nothing about them.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"]</input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

I really like it...in fact, there's only one thing I find that I don't like about it--and that's the hair that's flipped up in front of her jawline. Other than that, fantastically executed.

Lovely girl, shot and moment. That said you have both the very thin DOF of f/2.8 and a relatively long exposure of 1/200th working against you.

f/5.6 1/400th ISO 600 (or 800) for example would hold more focus and feature your model better. If you have speed lights of course you can drop that ISO back down and go f/16 or 22.

In camera smoothing is another issue and probably not required for this model. As far as directing the model a little more eye contact would help. I always try to get a bit of white on each side of the iris.

I don't know how you are managing focus in this shot, but it looks like the clothing is sharper than the face. Manually choosing an AF point is effective, choosing a center auto focus point and then pulling focus and recomposing the shot can work but is not recommended for thin DOF work.

BTW - I really like the balance of light here, and having her hair in motion really adds to the shot. Do you have a Model Mayhem page? Keep on shootin!

-Shea

Quote Originally Posted by Shea Design
    As far as directing the model a little more eye contact would help.

I like the way she is looking back across the frame. By "eye contact" did you mean you would prefer she was looking at the camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Iguide

I really like it, but I don't do portraits and know less than nothing about them.

Thank you Iguide!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

I really like it...in fact, there's only one thing I find that I don't like about it--and that's the hair that's flipped up in front of her jawline. Other than that, fantastically executed.

You're right on that one Sean about the flipped hair. I didn't like it as well but that's the best I could get from the set I had. I didn't notice it until I was cropping the photo. Thank you again. By the way, I love your Senka set at Flickr.
    Cheers!
    --

Lovely girl, shot and moment. That said you have both the very thin DOF of f/2.8 and a relatively long exposure of 1/200th working against you.

f/5.6 1/400th ISO 600 (or 800) for example would hold more focus and feature your model better. If you have speed lights of course you can drop that ISO back down and go f/16 or 22.

I guess the thin DOF have a little play with this focus issue. I've used a speedlite bounced off a white wall (camera right). I can only have it at 1/200th as it's my max flash sync. I could have opted to do HSS but that would burn my power fast and I believe my triggers don't support it.

Thinking now, I could have gone up to ISO 400. []

In camera smoothing is another issue and probably not required for this model. As far as directing the model a little more eye contact would help. I always try to get a bit of white on each side of the iris.

Oppsss.. what's camera smoothing? Sorry I'm clueless on this terms. Would you mean by a little more eye contact is to have her look not fully to her right and somewhere between in-camera and her extreme right?

I don't know how you are managing focus in this shot, but it looks like the clothing is sharper than the face. Manually choosing an AF point is effective, choosing a center auto focus point and then pulling focus and recomposing the shot can work but is not recommended for thin DOF work.

I have the center AF on this which I think I should have improved if I selected another AF point. As you have pointed out earlier, the thin DOF has a play in this.

BTW - I really like the balance of light here, and having her hair in motion really adds to the shot. Do you have a Model Mayhem page? Keep on shootin!

-Shea

Thanks, Shea! No, I don't have a Model Mayhem page. You got me curious and I'll be checking on this.

Cheers!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

As far as directing the model a little more eye contact would help.

I like the way she is looking back across the frame. By "eye contact" did you mean you would prefer she was looking at the camera?

Maybe in between her extreme right and in-camera..
    Cheers!
    --

Agree with the hair at the jawline as a distraction and typically you want some white on both sides of the iris. But it still is a good photograph despite

I really like it, a lot. But what is the perfect pose, hair position, amount of white in the eye (sclera) showing, back ground, lighting, etc etc.

I have been reading this forum for quite some time and am yet to recall a photo that someone has submitted for critique that has been deemed