Thread: Bokeh Dots

Bokeh Dots

So I was curious about some image capture techniques. I done some shots where there are tons of bokeh dots in the background. I used a string of Christmas lights, but I was wondering if anybody has tried doing shots with bokeh dots any other way. And I am talking in a studio setting because obviously all you need is a city background. Thanks for all your input people!

Something similar to this shot I took (halfway down the page) http://community.the-digital-picture.com/forums/t/2888.aspx?PageIndex=7

Re: Bokeh Dots

Quote Originally Posted by powers_brent
    I used a string of Christmas lights, but I was wondering if anybody has tried doing shots with bokeh dots any other way.

Lots of things can be used for OOF 'dots' from light sources. Disco balls, candles, etc. Unless you take additional steps, the shape of the OOF light source(s) will approximate the iris diaphragm of your lens (shape, blades, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    nless you take additional steps, the shape of the OOF light source(s) will approximate the iris diaphragm of your lens (shape, blades, etc.).

Yeah I love doing DIY Bokeh as they call it. At least DIYPhotography calls it that. I was curious if spraying water and lighting it in the far background would create "bokeh dots."

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    nless you take additional steps, the shape of the OOF light source(s) will approximate the iris diaphragm of your lens (shape, blades, etc.).

Yeah I love doing DIY Bokeh as they call it. At least DIYPhotography calls it that. I was curious if spraying water and lighting it in the far background would create "bokeh dots."

Quote Originally Posted by powers_brent
    I was curious if spraying water and lighting it in the far background would create "bokeh dots."

Sure. You can get 'bokeh dots' from pretty much anything, with the right lighting. Take the example below (although it's from outdoor shot) - the 'bokeh dots' on the left side came from the sun reflecting off the rocky dirt path in the background on the right (same background, left shot from lower and closer and with f/1.8).