Thread: Digital Backdrops

Digital Backdrops

Anyone ever use anything like this before ...

http://photography.bhinsights.com/content/digital-backdrops-savage.html

I was just reading about it briefly but it sure beats the price of buying various muslin backdrops!

Any thoughts/opinions on using something like this?

Denise

Re: Digital Backdrops

Well you need a green/blue screen for it or some photoshop skills and it's pretty much nothing more than just a wallpaper set. There are a lot of wallpapers for free download and you can also use other photo's as backgrounds. And even use the full 18MP of your camera.

It's not really hard to make I think and I think it's worth trying.

It's pretty much like this:

These are all separately shot portraits of me, my brother, little sister and girlfriend. I used photoshop to clear them of their background (which was a blue sky mostly) and I pasted them in front of a "borrowed" photo which I picked from Flickr. Anyway it's pretty much the same idea, but I haven't paid for it.

Jan

Oh and of course I should mention that it's very hard to get the lighting to continue on your background, so I'm not entirely sure how well this would work for more serious portraits...

Awesome photo, Jan! Yeah, I was just looking at this really quick but you are right about lighting being an issue. I do have a green screen but haven't used it for anything. I also have Elements. Hmmm...I do like your idea though, great way to save money!

Denise

Awesome photo, Jan! Yeah, I was just looking at this really quick but you are right about lighting being an issue. I do have a green screen but haven't used it for anything. I also have Elements. Hmmm...I do like your idea though, great way to save money!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    Awesome photo, Jan! Yeah, I was just looking at this really quick but you are right about lighting being an issue

Thanks Denise [] Well I must say that in my example the back/foreground differentiation and different lighting isn't a problem. And there will be times where it's also not a problem for you and so you could follow my example. However I think in the majority of times this won't give you a nice effect.

You could also try to use a flash for backgroundlighting and equip it with flash-gels for different colors and stuff. Like I did here on a white wall with blue flash-gel:

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.34.48/13_2D00_Corine-en-Juul-Schmink-128_2D00_Edit.jpg[/img]

Of course this isn't the best of example, but you can see that you can achieve a quite different picture by just a simple touch. With the correct use of a grid or snoot, you can also add some variety in your backgrounds.

Good luck []

Thanks for all the suggestions, Jan! I love your second photo as well! I have all I need ...except the model!! My daughter has not been too cooperative as of late so not much portrait taking going on around here lately! []

You're welcome Denise! Well my little sister has been more cooperative as well [:P] I guess it's the age, 13, all "grown up"stuff she has to deal with that we don't do these kind of shots anymore. I'll try another time [] Patience and perhaps this time a more serious and nice shot which she could put on her facebook or something...that always works to convince them a bit [:P]

I would also like to try out my ring-flash as a model-flash instead of macro. Wondering what that would look like....

Or of course I could try a shoot with my girlfriend, although I also need to learn her how to take photos now she has her own camera...sigh [:P]