Thread: DSLR Video Share!

DSLR Video Share!

Ever since I got my 7D I've beenobsessedwith taking videos with it, although it took me quite a bit of time to get used to wholeprocessback on the computer. It took me FOREVER to figure out even the simplest of things in Adobe After Effects. My video skills still suck compared to my photo taking abilities, but I'm working on it.

Anyways I've put a handful of videos on Youtube, and even though they're more for personal use/friends I'd still like to share them with all of you. I also want to see any videos any of you have produced as well!

And also please note, I'm only 18 so some of you older folks may think me and my friends are kinda, well whatever you'd call us haha.

Linkage -http://www.youtube.com/user/grrrrt808

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And details as to what I used in the videos;

Camera Body: Canon EOS 7D (no external mic)

Lenses Used:

Canon 50mm f/1.8 II

Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM

Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L non-IS

Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L

Sigma 15-30mm f/3.5-4.5

F-stops: ƒ / 1.8, 2.8, 4.0, 5.6, 9.0

ISO: 100-3200

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember, share your videos too! And as always offer advice where ever you see fit!

Re: DSLR Video Share!

The video looks pretty good with a couple of reservations.

1) It's too long. We live in an ADD society. You could probably have cut out 3/4s of it and still told the same story. :-)

2) This one isn't really your fault...but the video would have been much more interesting if the skateboarders had actually landed their tricks. Maybe if you did a running sequence of 4 or 5 failed attempts (each no more than 4 seconds long or so) then a shot of the trick being landed, you could illustrate how practice makes perfect, or how perseverance pays off.

Other than that, I thought your camera work was quite good. There wasn't too much camera shake and you were able to focus fairly well.

Hi Garrett -

My 19 yr. old daughter watched a few of the videos along with me and although I do agree with Sean on the #1 & #2, you still get a thumbs up from both the younger & "older" crowd on this end! [Y] You will be teaching us all a Video 101 class in no time!

Denise

1) It's too long. We live in an ADD society. You could probably have cut out 3/4s of it and still told the same story. :-)

As true as that is, I still prefer longer videos! And as mentioned above these videos were meant more for friends than a typical youtube video.

2) This one isn't really your fault...but the video would have been much more interesting if the skateboarders had actually landed their tricks. Maybe if you did a running sequence of 4 or 5 failed attempts (each no more than 4 seconds long or so) then a shot of the trick being landed, you could illustrate how practice makes perfect, or how perseverance pays off.

Haha I know what you're talking about. This bunch of kids weren't exactly "pro", and I probably could have got some killer shots of better people if the park had actually been open. We were slipping through an opening on the chained fence door for weeks.

Other than that, I thought your camera work was quite good. There wasn't too much camera shake and you were able to focus fairly well.

Well thank you! I'll have another chance to redeem my camera work coming up soon, I'll be going back out to DC with some friends and I'm probably going to bring the 35L along this time instead of a zoom. It's hard balancing out photo taking and video on a 7D, even with a 16GB card; both take up insane amount of space.

Here is one I did with the 5DmII last year. Turned out it was a wake for a popular local skater. Mind your speaker volume. -S

I've never used After Effects before but I tried using the Video Stabilization in iMovie and it makes a WORLD of a difference []

I'm currently working on learning Final Cut Pro 7, but this one was made using iMovie.

It's a little long but it encompasses about 6 hours of the early Fourth of July celebration we had with the co-workers from our lab [:P]

...also this one was taken the day after.

All taken with 7D & Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 24fps 1/40 varying ISO up to 3200 I believe.

The video stabilization really doesn't work when taking videos in the dark it turns out. Too much solid black? []