Thread: 5D mkII & dust

5D mkII & dust

<span style="font-size: x-small; font-family: Arial;"]<span style="font-size: x-small;"]<font size="2"]

</font>

<span style="font-size: x-small; font-family: Tahoma;"]Hi everybody,

I am thinking to upgrade to 5DmkII from an Xti I've been using the last 2 years. Some user reviews (can't say if statistically significant) have hold me back since they are reporting that they have a serious issue with dust in the sensor (it accumulates very quickly).

It sounds a bit strange to me, such an expensive camera, recently launched, weather sealed etc to have such an issue.

I kindly ask from the users of 5DmkII to let me know if the face similar problems with their copies. It will really help my decision.

thanks

Re: 5D mkII & dust

I am having quite the opposite experience. My sensor doesn't seem to collect dust at all and I change lenses quite frequently. I am also pretty careful when I change lenses though.

In contrast, I use to get dust on my 40D like crazy.

My 5D use to collect dust like crazy but the 5D Mark2 is much better. It's usually dry and statically in the winter so this is the worse time of year for problems. I had noticed dust on my pictures only once that was the result of the sensor not being removed by the new cleaner. I used a hand blower to blast it and it has been fine afterwards. I think the lesson I learned is that the sensor cleaner works but that doesn't mean you don't have to be careful during lens changes toreduce dust contamination.

The problem that i have with my 1Ds MKIII straight from the box WHITE DUST visibly seen on Post processing.Went to S'pore for day trip and it took 1/2 hour to clean but there is still visible 2 white spots.

My 400D (European name) was a dust magnet and required Camera armor. I've been using a 5D mkII for the last month and changing lenses promiscuously. I have seen a few specks and managed to remove them with a blower. I don't think the 5D mkII is particularly dust-prone, any more (and probably less) than my 40D. Even so, the usual precautions apply, but dust shouldn't be a factor in deciding whether to upgrade to this body.

The 5DII is not weather sealed.

At least not like the 1 series, it has sealing around the access doors, but that's about the extent of it.