Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wide-Angle Weirdness

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Wide-Angle Weirdness

Thanks Everyone - for your thoughts and suggestions.
    I've learned quite a bit reading over your comments.

Maybe my familiarity with the scene clouds my judgement of the shot. In reality those buildings are huge. Standing across the river you "feel" their presence; it's imposing, like a wall along the river's edge. Now that I've read your comments and thought about it more, I can see there was no way I was going to capture any of that quality with this shot.

Thanks for pointing out some of the things that do work about the image. I like the texture in the water and the colors/reflections.

I was especially interested in your comments regarding the softness of the buildings and the motion blur showing up in the boat's lettering. I hadn't really noticed either one. Your guesses were right on the money though, it was quite windy that morning, and the East River flows at a rapid rate in any case. I never even thought of raising the ISO. I've never dealt with such a sensitive subject before like this boat in the water. A 6-sec shutter speed... I should've known...

I'll have to try your suggestions of a faster shutter/higher ISO/tighter aperture for better DOF... I really appreciate all of your comments and I can't wait to put them into practice.

Thanks again! You guys are the best!

hey Rich - by all means - I'd love to see what you come up with.

That's a great idea - cut out some of the FG water and maybe the buildings loom a little larger. It sure can't hurt; there's not much happening in the dark FG water anyway...

thanks again for your comments and your help!

Something like this you mean?

My crop ends up at 1.7 aspect ratio. To keep the 3/2 means cutting off the tall bldg on the right side. I didn't even try it - I figured the image would just get weaker without that "anchor" on the edge.

Anyway - you were right, it looks much better without all the FG water.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.29.05/5D_5F00_20100703_5F00_13_5F00_dxo_5F00_02_5F00_crp pd.jpg[/img]