I use an EOS 5D Mark II and have purchased an arsenal of L series lens.
I usually shoot wide open at either f/1.2-1.8 and f/2.8. Recently I have been looking at other professional images and I have realised they were pin sharp, where it be portraiture, landscape, studio work, still life, etc.

I've been attempting to achieve this by using f/8 or find the sweet spot for all my lens's and still cannot get it pin sharp.
I went to take pictures of my son using a 70-200 f2.8 IS II USM using MFD 200mm and reasonably fast shutter speed, ISO 100 and using f5.6 for that day.

Focusing was either centre or sometimes different depending where he would stand. Focus was always on his eyes.
Pictures looked sharp from the LCD even when zoomed in to check. I then quickly uploaded it to the iPad to check for sharpness and again, when I enlarge the image, the details are never there.

Even in studio lighting using sekonic light metering to use the correct aperture, ISO and shutter speeds, tripod and remote firing, I still couldn't get the subjects full details out. Always looks a bit grainy.

Tried micro adjustments and didn't make any difference so reverted back to default.

Lenses used were 24-70, 50 f1.4 and 1.2, 85 f1.2, 70-200 f2.8 and f4, 16-35 f2.8

Please help!

Regards,

Jonathan