Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pin sharp images

Re: Pin sharp images

Quote Originally Posted by jho288
    I see what you mean, I'll dig up some photos too to see if the sharpness is deeply related to size of the subject.

Take the simple example of focusing on an eye. Perceptively, 'eye sharpness' is often (and most easily) judged by how easy it is to distinguish the eyelashes from one another. If the subject is closer (or you're using a longer focal length), the eye takes a larger portion of the image. That means there's more physical separation of the eyelashes based on where they fall on the sensor, and thus it will appear sharper.

Re: Pin sharp images

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

First of all, that's an excellent photograph. Nice work!

Thanks so much for your comment

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

Second, it does look very "grainy" to me too -- but the grain I'm seeing is compression artifacts. Theuploaded image is so highly compressed (21 MP in just 750 KB) that it has completely fallen apart.

Could you upload the same image with less compression? (About 10 times less would be nice.) Web sites like "yousendit.com" allow for uploading very large files for free.

This highlights how important post processing is for nailing sharpness. Some raw converters do better than others (e.g. Lightroom 2 throws out detail on high ISO shots).

Well, I wouldn't put it that way, but it is certain possible when the conditions are right.

I'll try the site you mentioned about.

My work flow is > Take shots > upload to computer > Import into Lightroom 2.7 > fine tune in Lightroom > edit in PS CS4 > Saved as 16bit TIFF > then back in Lightroom export to JPEG

However as mentioned above, perhaps this picture's subject is too small and the aperture 1.2 doesn't provide sharpness in the eyes. So I might have to look for a picture that I didn't shoot at 1.2 (which isn't much because I have a habbit of using 1.2 - 2.8 for a while now) Also spending that money on a 1.2 makes me hesitate and not adjust to anything small LOL.

BTW, you guys reply really fast Thanks so much for the efforts. It's great to talk and share photography ideas with everyone.

Regards,

Jonathan