Thread: Canon 5DII sensor Quality ?

Canon 5DII sensor Quality ?

I am most of the time wedding photographer for some 8 years.

But sometimes I do some fashion shootings.

I used plenty of Canon cameras and lenses... Calibrated Cinema on my mac pro...

Here I would like to speak about weakness of 5DII sensor.

I wonder how many of you guys are really satisfied with their ooc results on canon 5DII?

First of all I must say I am getting pretty much frustrate how weird can human skin look with my camera.

Sometimes I use flash for fill in the subject in darker places or Lastolite reflector in nature without flash...

Workflow: PP raw files in C1, LR, ACR... Picker, white balance on something grey, black or white andsometimes I use grey card on the field.

It balance surroundings pretty well but it is almost impossible to get realistic skin tons!!! Skin is sometimes simply unpleasant !

That would be the first problem. And the second one...

My Camera is usually set to AWB (Sometimes "K" or custom WB) and if it not set in camera to WB shift/BKT to B2, G2 my files simply has to much of magenta.

I regret I bought it because sometimes i got the feeling i have to wrestle with files.

I heard the same thing from my friends who uses 5DII...

Original 5D is King of Canons... And Canon 1DsIII is worth the money when compared to 5DII

The last wedding i shoot i used my trusty Canon 1VHS with few rolls of Fuji Reala 100

Skin and nature colors are simply natural and beautiful.

BL: I am so frustrated

Re: Canon 5DII sensor Quality ?

I have no complaints about the images that come out of my 5DII. I rarely shoot jpg OOC but I set the Picture Style to Neutral. The portrait setting is terrible. It over saturates and turns everyone red. My RAW files are fine. AWB is okay except those lights that look like fluorescent but actually are something else and they change temperature. Like the one in some gymnasiums.

I definitely notice a difference between the unedited RAW files in ACR and Aperture. ACR tend to over saturate and add too much contrast upon opening. I much prefer the way Aperture handles the RAW starting point. Well I prefer the whole process in Aperture actually.

You can change the camera default settings of the RAW converter so that they look more reasonable upon import. It will save you a bunch of frustration.

Thanks Keith B

I appreciate Your advice.

Kind Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by mzemljic

I wonder how many of you guys are really satisfied with their ooc results on canon 5DII?

I, too, am dissatisfied with the raw files coming out of my 5D2; however, it is for completely different reasons than yours. (And even so, the 5D2 is still the best possible camera for me.)

First of all I must say I am getting pretty much frustrate how weird can human skin look with my camera.

Canon changed the color filter on the 5D2 (compared to earlier Canons), so that may be what you're seeing.

My Camera is usually set to AWB (Sometimes "K" or custom WB) and if it not set in camera to WB shift/BKT to B2, G2 my files simply has to much of magenta.

I never use AWB so I can't comment on that particular problem, but I would suggest that if you are concerned about color that you avoid AWB altogether.

<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="content-type" />

It balance surroundings pretty well but it is almost impossible to get realistic skin tons!!! Skin is sometimes simply unpleasant !

The last wedding i shoot i used my trusty Canon 1VHS with few rolls of Fuji Reala 100

Skin and nature colors are simply natural and beautiful.

Realistic and pleasant are polar opposites. In order to be truly realistic, colors would have to be so incredibly dull that no one in would find them pleasing. Thankfully, very little of photography requires strict color accuracy (crime scene photography and art reproduction are two examples that come to mind) - most styles benefit from (and require) more pleasing colors.
    <div>Second, while the film's colors are more beautiful (according to some tastes), they aredefinitely not more natural (accurate) than the 5D2. But again, the goal is pleasant colors -- accuracy doesn't enter into it.</div>

So the root problem is that you are not getting the kind of pleasing colors that you want. Since you like the color rendition of at least one type of film, I suggest tryingDxO's raw converter with the FilmPack. It even has Fuji Reala.