Thread: Trip to Grand Canyon - suggestions wanted

Trip to Grand Canyon - suggestions wanted

I'm taking the family to the Grand Canyon in a couple weeks. It looks like there are several places for some great shots. Any suggestions for those "high priority" sites? Thanks!
    Jeremy (Cytoman)

Re: Trip to Grand Canyon - suggestions wanted

Something wide would be my suggestion. I visited Phoenix about a month ago and had brought along my kit lens as well as my 70-200f/4. When we visited the Grand Canyon, needless to say, the 18-55 was on pretty much the entire time. I would have preferred the 17-55 I think, or even the 10-22 would have been nice.

For the Grand Canyon, I'd say wider is better.

There are many roadside pullouts for great shots. But if you have the time, head down a trail even just a couple of hundred yards to get a slightly different perspective. If the sky is alive, feature that. Don't forget to shoot verticals. If you can see mules on the trail, getting them in a shot adds a lot of perspective. The golden hours here are truly golden. Get up early or shoot late. I try to get candids of family or friends to add a little variety.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/700x500/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.43.06/IMG_5F00_5713.jpg[/img]

I agree with erno. If you get the opportunity, try and get out there for dawn/dusk. I'm sure you'd be able to get amazing shots of the sun setting/rising and cresting the top of the canyon. I always try and sneak a few photos of people when I'm out places. Especially there as people tend to like to climb out in crazy places. But yeah, the 10-22 would be awesome for some extreme wide stuff, though when I went it would have been nice to have a super tele too... Some pretty random things out there. Have fun!

Cyto....don't know what your route is, but if you have the time, try the North Rim for a different perspective (and fewer people)of the GC.

Walk downtrailsa few hundred feet or so for a different composition. Shoot early, shoot late....great colors. I know this is an obvious statement, but sometimes I have to keep repeating this to myself. []

Be aware of the weather for it's Monsoon (late July/Aug.) season and be sure to take some panos....you won't be disappointed.

Have a great trip

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by zacotton

...When we visited the Grand Canyon, needless to say, the 18-55 was on pretty much the entire time. I would have preferred the 17-55 I think, or even the 10-22 would have been nice.

Yes, I'll be bringing my 17-55. Haven't saven enough for the 10-22 yet. It will have to wait until the next trip. Thanks.
    Jeremy (Cytoman)

Quote Originally Posted by erno james

There are many roadside pullouts for great shots. But if you have the time, head down a trail even just a couple of hundred yards to get a slightly different perspective. If the sky is alive, feature that. Don't forget to shoot verticals. If you can see mules on the trail, getting them in a shot adds a lot of perspective. The golden hours here are truly golden. Get up early or shoot late. I try to get candids of family or friends to add a little variety.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Great shot idea. My wife is in a wheelechair and my kids are 8,7,&amp;5. We might try a few trails but will be fairly limited. We're staying an hour away and the thought of getting the kids up an hour before sunrise is a major buzz killer.[:@] I might be able to get away one day but will be doing sunrises mostly. Thanks.
    Jeremy (Cytoman)

One thing you need is a good Circular Polarizer Filter.
    Canon 5DMII, 30D 17-40 L f/4.0, 24-70L f2.8, 70-200L IS f2.8, 400L f4.0-5.6, 24 tilt shift, 2x 600ex-RT

Enjoy your trip. There are great photo opportunities all over the place at Grand Canyon. There are somenice views behind the lodges on the south rim. Also, the Desert View Watch Tower is a great photo opportunity. If you have the time, definately take a hike into the canyon. Although with limited time, you won't be able to go far, it's a whole different experience below the rim. Check out either the Bright Angel Trail or South Kaibab Trail. My son and I spent the night at the bottom of the Grand Canyon 3 years ago and it was amazing.

As others have said, early morning or later in the evening are best for light and colors.

You said you are staying an hour outside the park. If your plans are flexible, dotry tostay inside the park. It can be difficult to get in the El Tovar (when we stayed there we booked a year in advance). But you might get lucky at the Kachina or Thunderbird next to the El Tovar. Both also right on the rim. The Bright Angel is also next to these two.Staying at one of the lodges on the rim gives you a great opportunity both before/at sunrise and sunset. The extra time available at the parkwill also give you more of a chance to explore below the rim.

[View:http://mpphoto12.zenfolio.com/p58860...d77#h2dc78d77]

http://mpphoto12.zenfolio.com/p588608579 Here is the link to all my pictures from the grand canyon some really cool stuff there. Have Fun!