Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50 1.2 L, A few days later.

50 1.2 L, A few days later.

I'm always a skeptic and sometimes get sucked into the "better images by science"-ness of this forum and doubted the 50L. But the recent postings of reviewers clamming a possible change in production and improved performance peaked my interest. It is expensive when compared to the Sigma (no real world exp with) and totally justifiable when compare to the Canon 1.4 IMO.

I was disappointed at the initial sharpness of the lens when I was doing the ruler shots to calibrate the micro adjustments (only a +4 adj needed). Now with some (not a lot of) real world shots under my belt, I feel some shame for doubting. Real world situations have me felling very different.

I experienced NO focus issues, front, back, left, right, didn't happen.The focus is reasonably fast and accurate.I did however experience the most ridiculous bokeh and shallow DOF I have ever seen. Due to it's much closer MFD some of the shots were beyond what the 85L could do.

The build quality is that good. I feel safer with this lens than any other since there no protruding or sacredly vulnerable front or rear elements like on the 85L. Even the 85L's AF and MF ring reminds you that it may be a little fragile whether it really is or not. The 50L is stiff and deliberate.

The colors are amazing. Even at 1.2 the colors are very, very vivid and contrasty. It is at least as good as any lens I've shot with if not the best. I am really impressed with the color, love is a good word. (None or the images posted have been corrected other than wht balance).

It seems CA is much better controlled compared to the 35L and the 85L. I have not done head to heads on CA but judged by previous experience reference only.

My summation is; If I had to shoot laser printed text all day long the 50L would not be my lens of choice. It is no macro lens by any means but sharpness is good (even really, really good at times).

While the Sigma may be as good for a lot less, I may never know. I am so impressed at this point I will definitely be keeping this lens. I don't know if I've gotten very lucky or I'm just not that picky (pretty sure that isn't the case) but this lens works for me.

With all this said, I have become quite experienced with shallow DOF of wide, wide apertures as of late. All of the following shots are hand held. Some with lower than the 1/FL rule of thumb shutter speeds.

No Sharpening was applied to any images.

1/1000 @1.2

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.81/_5F00_MG_5F00_2820_5F00_sm.jpg[/img]

800px 100% crop

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.81/_5F00_MG_5F00_2820_5F00_800p.jpg[/img]

1/60 @1.2

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.81/_5F00_MG_5F00_2840sm.jpg[/img]

800px 100% crop

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.81/_5F00_MG_5F00_2840c.jpg[/img]

1/50 @1.2 (This shot made me fall in love with this lens).

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.81/_5F00_MG_5F00_2844sm.jpg[/img]

800px 100% crop

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.81/_5F00_MG_5F00_2844c.jpg[/img]

1/30 @4.0

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.81/_5F00_MG_5F00_2852sm.jpg[/img]

800px 100% crop

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.81/_5F00_MG_5F00_2852c.jpg[/img]

Re: 50 1.2 L, A few days later.

Very big thumbs up Keith!

I love that shot of the glasses probably just as much as you do! I like to add my polarizing filter all the time, even when the sun is starting to set. I just love to get that added "pre-post" vividness... If that makes any sense...

Mike

WOW! I love the shots of your dog!!! Very happy to hear you are getting everything you wanted out of this lens especially after your initial first impression! Even though I love everything else about the 35, I very much do prefer the length ofthe 50!

Enjoy ...looking forward to more photos!

Denise

Great Keith, and thank's again for sharing your first experiences with a canon L lens.

It's great to read that you like it that much, I to am/was doubtful about this lens, but I actually am about every 50mm lens on the market today because of the completely mixed reviews that are all over the place...

I was looking yesterday at the Zeiss'es 50's but I think I'll miss the AF.

Little question, how is the focus ring compared to the 85?

Cheers, jdej.

Hi Keith,

I was already looking out for this post after you mentioned that you would buy this lens. Thanks for your insight, I can see why you love this awesome piece of glass.

Joël

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

(This shot made me fall in love with this lens).

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.81/_5F00_MG_5F00_2852c.jpg[/img]
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Not only do I want this lens but the last shot at ISO 3200. I want this camera, the EOS 5D Mark II.

Thanks for sharing

Mark
    Mark

Hi Keith

I'm very glad you are happy with the 50L! Under so much scrutiny(mine included!), and bad mojo pertaining to this lens, it's nice to see someone who will use it! Even I have to admit, that when it hits, it is a BEAUTIFUL thing!! The bokeh really is incredible!! I do indeed like your sunglasses shot...

I do expect more shots as you become familiar with it. I have heard people, who have a great copy, tend to never take it off their camera....EVER!!!

Gregg

Thanks everyone. As I get some more time with the lens I will update this if I experience any of the issues that lens has been reported to have. Because of all the issues that have been reported by others and the fact that I've only had one copy of this lens I can't confidently recommend it to a friend. If there was a guarantee it would work like mine I'd definitely would say it is worth the $1450.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorundr-Jorgensen

Little question, how is the focus ring compared to the 85?

Cheers, jdej.

Focus ring is completely different. There is little to no play in it. It is very firm, it almost feels like it is a manual focus lens. The lens has a great feel to it all the way around. I was surprised by it's weight and size. Most of the pictures I see are of it on a 1Ds and It looks a little small. But on a 5DII it is pretty substantial. Obviously nothing like the 85L though.

Focus ring is completely different. There is little to no play in it. It is very firm, it almost feels like it is a manual focus lens.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Ok, great, thanks for awnsering that!

This was one of the main reasons I didn't make the jump yet. an uncomfy focus ring with such a shallow DOF would make manual focusing a very unpleasant experience.

First of all, very nice shots! I just love the blur in the dog-photo, really smooth...[A] Those colors are also very nice and vivid[Y]

I'm always a skeptic and sometimes get sucked into the "better images by science"-ness of this forum and doubted the 50L

A good friend of mine(more serious photographer than me) always complains I look too technical at a shot. Anyway I guess there's nothing wrong with wanting to get the most out of the potential you get. But yea, sometimes I must admit that I'm also a bit too tight with the "better images by science" .... it's in my nature [:P]

I experienced NO focus issues, front, back, left, right, didn't happen

After calibrated +4 for front-focussing [6][:P]

I did however experience the most ridiculous bokeh and shallow DOF I have ever seen. Due to it's much closer MFD some of the shots were beyond what the 85L could do.

It's indeed extreme! I just looked at the lens-specs from Bryan and although the Sigma has a shorter MFD the magnification is lower [^o)]I feel cheated now...

While the Sigma may be as good for a lot less, I may never know

I could post some shots and 100% crops if you want, but when I look at your shots, I believe it would suit me as well [:P]

Again, very nice and I hope you'll enjoy it,

Jan