Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Histogram / RAW conversion comparison

Re: Histogram / RAW conversion comparison

Sorry, the comments above was to neuroanatomist :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rasmussen
    If all you see is white there may be something wrong with the installation? 7D files I have looked at are similar to other models.

What version of DPP are you using? I do see other screen captures that look like what I see - here's one posted on birdphotographers.net, for example.

I also ran across this in a tutorial video from B&H - starting at 52:28 he discusses the DPP RAW histogram (and why you should just leave it alone, in his opinion). He has gray space on the left of his histogram and is showing DPP 3.4. You'll also notice that there are only 4 sliders below the histogram. I'm using DPP 3.8.2 and there are 6 sliders on mine (as there are in the screenshot I linked above).

neuroanatomist,

I am using v3.8.1, the latest windows version. Earlier versions only had 4 sliders, the two new ones are the sliders for highlight and shadow correction. They are not very useful in my opinion, Lightroom or ACR are better for pulling back highlights or shadows, but I still use them occasionally.

Odd! Although I'm using the Mac version, the screenshot I linked is Windows. Do you have a link to a 7D RAW file that shows up on your DPP with the white region of the histogram starting at -9.0?

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.85/7D-HTP-turned-off.JPG[/img][img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.85/1Ds-Mark-III-HTP-OFF.JPG[/img][img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.85/40D-HTP-OFF.JPG[/img][img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.85/50D-HTP-OFF.JPG[/img][img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.85/50D-_2800_same-scene_2900_-HTP-ON.JPG[/img]

From top to bottom, from left to right:

7D with HTP OFF, 1Ds Mark III with HTP OFF

40D with HTP OFF, 50D with HTP OFF

50D with HTP ON (same scene)

PS! The 7D file can be found here http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E7D/E7DFARI00100.CR2.HTM other raw files can be found here http://raw.fotosite.pl/ but this site seems be having problems right now.

FWIW, for me, that file shows up in the DPP histogram like this, with no gray area at the left:

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.35.15/7D-RAW-histogram.jpg[/img]

Mac users....you guys just have to do things different...[]

Seriously, it is not important but still a little strange that Mac users can´t read the DR from raw files. Guess it is a design decision specially made for Apple.

Mac users....you guys just have to do things different...

Seriously, it is not important but still a little strange that Mac users can´t read the DR from raw files. Guess it is a design decision specially made for Apple.

Well, yes, we 'think different' [:P] ...but that's not the reason for this. Here's that screenshot I linked earlier...now, I may be a Mac user by choice, but I use Windows when 'forced' to...and I know a Windows window when I see one.

Got any other ideas?

Hmm, that is odd. The only other thing I can think off is that there may be something wrong with the installation files. I know it sounds unlikely but I can not think off any other reason. Have never seen this before.

PS! I remember my wife had a problem with DPP a couple of years ago. The RAW tab or the RGB tab menus did not work properly. I had to do a clean install with "fresh" files from Canon to get it to work.