Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rasmussen
As you can see itis different from what youare seeing, showing a DR from -9EV to around +3.6EV.

True. I see that in the manual. But then again, I see that when I open up a 12-bit image in DPP v3.8.2. We don't know what camera the image used for demo purposes came from (in the section on viewing the shooting information, whoever wrote the manual specifically redacted the camera model/image size/etc. - it's a crop body, though, since it's using an EF-S lens, and it goes to ISO 3200 so it's not an XTi, but it could be a 20D, which is 12-bit).

We know there is a huge technical difference between a 14-bit and a 12-bit file.

Certainly. Canon even published an article on the benefits of 14-bit A/D conversion.

Does it show up in DPP...that is the question?

It seems to...at least for me. RAW histograms from other 12-bit cameras (5D, XTi/400D) show up as -9 to +3.5 just like the Rebel XS/1000D, while RAW images from other 14-bit cameras (5DII, T1i/500D) show up with the wider dynamic range of -11 to +3.5 just like I see with the 7D.

I think if you don't see a difference between the two image types in the DPP RAW histogram, that's not correct.

PS! Does the 7D file have the vertical bar to the left like the XS file did? If so can you drag it to the right and adjust DR?

Yes, that moveable bar just initially overlaps with the left axis of the graph - hovering the mouse over that axis changes the cursor to a bi-directional arrow. The line can be dragged in from the left edge to adjust the DR.