Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera bag

Camera bag

So by a fortuitous turn of events I have both outgrown my current camera bag, (a little cheap thing that only holds a body with a lens mounted) and my school laptop backpack is breaking after 6 long years of hard use. That means I need a bag to replace both. Infact, i have been able to convince my wife to let me spend a bit to get something higher quality because it would double as both a camera bag and my day-to-day school bag.

I currently have a Rebel XTi (400D), 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 II, 70-210 f/3.5-4.5, 50 f/1.8, Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro. So here are the requirements for a new bag:

1) Must have a dedicated laptop slot

2) The camera padded space must be able to come out so I can use it as a day bag.

3) Messenger style bag

4) not too "Hey! I'm a camera bag" or dorky looking

Those qualifications have left me with a short-list of candidates that are in my price range and meet my needs:

1) Tamrac Evolution Messenger 4. Nice looking, serves my purpose. The downside is that the camera insert does not have a closable top for storage when it is out of the main bag

2) Tenba Messenger Large. (The small would be fine too, but for the minimal price difference may as well get the larger one) This one is also nice, a little more stylish than the Tamrac, however it too does not have a closable top on the removable insert.

3) Kata DB-455. This is the smallest, cheapest, and most "city" looking of the bags. However the downside is that its insert is rather small. I could hold my camera with any lens mounted and maybe my nifty-fifty in the insert. That said, the insert doesn't take up the whole space alotted for it so a LowePro 1n lens case could sit beside it for an extra lens.

4) Kata CS-15. Not very good looking, more than I want to spend.

5) Naneu Pro Sierra or Tango. These are essentially the same bag as far as look and function go, but just slightly different sizes. Both are decently priced but ugly as all get out, so not to high on the list.

6) Naneu Pro Sahara 115F. Current favorite. The shuttle comes out and closes, even has hooks to attach its own shoulder strap should I need the space. Looksreally,really good in green.

So my question to the general wisdom of TDP: have any of you used any of the bags, or just the brands? Do you have good things to say about Naneu especially, or only bad?

Thanks so much!

Dan F

Re: Camera bag

Dan, I wish I could help, but unfortunately I know nothing about any of these bags, But I do have a couple things you may want to consider:

1. You have a body, 4 lenses, a laptop---andI assume a few accessories----do you plan to carry all of it in the desired bag? If so, This could get very difficult anduncomfortablewith one (1)shoulder strap.

2. Do you do a lot of walking/hiking or city touring with your gear? If so, you may want to consider some level of rain-proofing and a place to carry a camel pack or water bottle

I purchased and used the Lowepro 300 Slingshot AW--A very Nice Bag, did everything I wanted, But.....I failed to heed Bryan's warning and discovered that this one strapbag is very heavy and uncomfortable when fully loaded, I should have gone with a "back pack style instead"---That's on the wish list now.

Good Luck on your search--

Bob

Bob

Have you considered a Crumpler bag?

Hey Dan,

I'm a city-dwelling creative and I totally get your search for a good-looking yet discreet bag, most of them look terrible or completely obvious as a thief-target. I agree with the commenter who said you probably can't carry all your gear at once (I assume you know that) and I also agree that a one-shoulder sling-bag/messenger bad will get heavy and uncomfortable, more than you think. I originally got a LowePro 200 because I wanted something ultra-compact but good-looking. It's nice but if I carry more than my XSi + 24-70mm (which is about as heavy as a 70-200mm) my shoulder is aching by end of day. The sling look isn't worth it in my opinion, and I'm pretty in-shape.

That said, I recently got theKata KT DR-467as a gift and it's nice. The all-black outside looks cool and like a regular backpack. The sealed zippers are very helpful in bad weather, yellow insides help you see black lenses in low-light, the laptop pocket is big enough for a 17" MacBook Pro, it's got removable panels like crazy, and a really well thought-out amount and placement of extra pockets. Now, I don't know if the pockets on that will be big enough for your 70-210(?) but it fits my 24-70mm on-camera with enough room to fit my 50mm in the next panel-pocket over. The top is possibly as big as the bottom... you could probably fit four 580 flashes in there, no joke.

I'm not saying my bag model is the one for you but the quality and architecture from Kata is extremely high.

Good luck man.

<meta charset="utf-8" />

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams

1. You have a body, 4 lenses, a laptop---andI assume a few accessories----do you plan to carry all of it in the desired bag? If so, This could get very difficult anduncomfortablewith one (1)shoulder strap.

yeah, I have thought about that. My heaviest lens is the Sigma which weighs in at 32oz. The 70-210 come next at about 2/3 that weight. I don't think the weight will be a problem, but I may be wrong that said, weight is an issue for class. quite often I hit the library for research papers and walk out with 20+ books (not in one bag)

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams

2. Do you do a lot of walking/hiking or city touring with your gear? If so, you may want to consider some level of rain-proofing and a place to carry a camel pack or water bottle

rain proofing is something I do need to get, most of the bags have some sort of a water bottle attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by ShutterbugJohan

Have you considered a Crumpler bag?

Yes I have, they are about 50% more for the equivalent bag. I wish I could blow the money on one. That said the ones I looked at didn't have a removable camera insert.

Quote Originally Posted by 216by773

I'm a city-dwelling creative and I totally get your search for a good-looking yet discreet bag, most of them look terrible or completely obvious as a thief-target. I agree with the commenter who said you probably can't carry all your gear at once (I assume you know that) and I also agree that a one-shoulder sling-bag/messenger bad will get heavy and uncomfortable, more than you think. I originally got a LowePro 200 because I wanted something ultra-compact but good-looking. It's nice but if I carry more than my XSi + 24-70mm (which is about as heavy as a 70-200mm) my shoulder is aching by end of day. The sling look isn't worth it in my opinion, and I'm pretty in-shape.

That said, I recently got theKata KT DR-467as a gift and it's nice. The all-black outside looks cool and like a regular backpack. The sealed zippers are very helpful in bad weather, yellow insides help you see black lenses in low-light, the laptop pocket is big enough for a 17" MacBook Pro, it's got removable panels like crazy, and a really well thought-out amount and placement of extra pockets. Now, I don't know if the pockets on that will be big enough for your 70-210(?) but it fits my 24-70mm on-camera with enough room to fit my 50mm in the next panel-pocket over. The top is possibly as big as the bottom... you could probably fit four 580 flashes in there, no joke.

I'm not saying my bag model is the one for you but the quality and architecture from Kata is extremely high.

Thanks for the input! I will definitely take a look at some backpacks now. I will admit to my vanity being the prime motive for looking exclusively at messenger style bags. I am starting to get a little sick of the "student" look at 25...so why did I choose "professional student" (ie academia) for my career? But I will take a look at backpacks again. My 70-210 doesn't rank anywhere near its L brothers and sisters at about 3"x5" (my rough measurements) as opposed to 3"x6.8 for the f/4 and 3.3"x7.6" for the f/2.8!

Thanks everyone!

I really appreciate input

<span style="font-size: xx-small;"]<span><span style="font-size: large;"]<span>

<span style="font-size: small;"]<span>Check out the Mountainsmith Endeavor, it comes with the removable kit cube , which may work in other bags too.

<span style="font-size: 11.6667px;"][url="http://www.mountainsmith.com/products.asp?productId=272&amp;categoryId=13&amp;s ubCategoryId=13&amp;subCategory2Id=0]http://www.mountainsmith.com/products.asp?productId=272&amp;categoryId=13&amp;s ubCategoryId=13&amp;subCategory2Id=0[/url]

[url="http://www.mountainsmith.com/products.asp?productId=290&amp;categoryId=13&amp;s ubCategoryId=29&amp;subCategory2Id=0]http://www.mountainsmith.com/products.asp?productId=290&amp;categoryId=13&amp;s ubCategoryId=29&amp;subCategory2Id=0[/url]

[url="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/673852-REG/Mountainsmith_10_81054R_01.html#features]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/673852-REG/Mountainsmith_10_81054R_01.html#features[/url]

<span style="color: #0000ee; font-size: x-small;"]<span style="color: #000000; font-size: 14px;"]Maybe the ThinkTank 70 would be good, and you could also buy the Mountainsmith Kitcube for $29 to leave at home when you don't need to take your camera with you. Although it doesn't mention it on the website, I thought that the Thinktank Urban's inner padding was removable, however the inner padding<span>doesn't have its own cover.

<span><span>[url="http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/urban-disguise-70-pro-shoulder-bag.aspx]http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/urban-disguise-70-pro-shoulder-bag.aspx[/url]

<span><span>[url="http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/urban-disguise-70-pro-shoulder-bag.aspx][/url]The ThinkTank is more Urban and the Mountainsmith is more Rural.

<span style="font-size: 11.6667px;"]Good Luck,

Rich

<div>

</div>

Quote Originally Posted by 216by773
    That said, I recently got theKata KT DR-467as a gift and it's nice.

Another question specifically about that bag. Can you fit a decent sized book in the top, say something 9"x6"x2" hardcover?

I use a Domke F-802 for a similar load (I don't like to carry a laptop, but I could fit one in there in a padded sleeve no trouble). It isdiscreteand good for city outings. It also makes a nice briefcase.

Quote Originally Posted by Whatsreal
    Another question specifically about that bag. Can you fit a decent sized book in the top, say something 9"x6"x2" hardcover?

<meta charset="utf-8" />
    [Edit]: Actually on second thought maybe you could fit that book. It's definitely close enough that I can't say "no" definitively. I don't have the backpack around right now but I did fit quite a bit of stuff in that top panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Whatsreal

[Edit]: Actually, on second thought,maybe you could fit that book. You might have to squeeze it in there a little bit, but it's close enough that I shouldn't say no so quickly.

<meta charset="utf-8" />

====

Hmm I don't think you could. It's definitely made for separating camera gear rather than acting as a true backpack. But they have other models that zip all the way down in front with removeable panels, you might want to check those out. Mine has 3 distinct sections: laptop back, camera body/lens bottom, accessory top.