Thread: Fstoppers - Photoshoot with the worst possible camera!

Fstoppers - Photoshoot with the worst possible camera!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOoGjtSy7xY

I just bumped into this and thought it was quite funny and worth to share. It's about this guy from Fstoppers (don't really know or follow this) that wants to prove that you can make great shots without expensive pro camera equipment. So he takes the iPhone 3GS and doese the rest as he normally doese in the studio.

I really like this, and especially since I've got this phone and never really seriously thought of using it like this!

Ofcourse, as you can see in the vid, the studio equipment he's got there and, proberly even more, the retoucher helped a lot, but still it's funny. And he proberly aimed this at the people that complain they can't do anything because of their entry-level DSLR.

Hope you enjoyed it and perhaps it was even a bit instructive for those who get in the studio to do their shots!

Cheers, JdeJ.

Re: Fstoppers - Photoshoot with the worst possible camera!

I must say that I liked watching it, although it is a little catchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorundr-Jorgensen
    that wants to prove that you can make great shots without expensive pro camera equipment

Perhaps a crappy camera, but a great studio with people who actually know what they are doing, probably professional photographers, amazing models...[A], great make-up and stuffand I must say that the photoshop-guy did quite a lot as well.

So I agree with the fact that it can be achieved by a simple camera, although you must also figure that these are not the normal amateur photographers and models. Also I bet they would have struggled a lot harder with natural light only.

I really like this, and especially since I've got this phone and never really seriously thought of using it like this!

I wish you the best of luck![]

And he proberly aimed this at the people that complain they can't do anything because of their entry-level DSLR.

but still it's funny

Can't agree more with you [Y] thanks for sharing,

Jan

That was pretty cool. Proper lighting is always the key is what should be taken from this.

you can make great shots without expensive pro camera equipment

I would probably include that collection of softboxes and monolights in the category of 'expensive pro camera equipment'. Even accounting for the pair of relatively inexpensive Home Depot flood lights behind the large octagonal softbox, I'd guess the lighting equipment in that studio adds up to more than a 5DII and 85L. Does the expensive lighting plus inexpensive camera make for decent shots? Yes. Could the 5DII+85L have gotten shots as good without the lighting? No. But, I think Jan's right in that this is not a 'normal' situation.

Also, I doubt many photo editors for fashion magazines would accept a 3 megapixel image for publication. [:P]

But, the video does make some great points!

I now feel worse about my abilities as a photographer, lol. Cool video, pretty cool site too. Definitely some truth to the video, but like everybody else said, I don't have access to crazy lighting like that, or even studio backgrounds like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    Perhaps a crappy camera, but a great studio with people who actually
    know what they are doing, probably professional photographers, amazing
    models...[img]../emoticons/emotion-13.gif[/img], great make-up and stuffand I must say that the photoshop-guy did quite a lot as well.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    I would probably include that collection of softboxes and monolights in the category of 'expensive pro camera equipment'.

Yeah, sorry, I kinda wrote that incorrectly, what I ment with pro camera equipement was lenses and camera bodies, not the lights ect.

Anyway, happy that you guys like it, yesterday I watched the vid about the professional snowboard photographer, also quite nice and instructive!

Cheers!