Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hedychrum nobile (Wasp)

Hedychrum nobile (Wasp)

Hedychrum nobile (Wasp)

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.46.87/20080528_2D00_IMG_5F00_5867_2D00_2.jpg[/img]

Canon 400D, Canon 100mm f/2.8 @7.1 1/200 ISO 400, hand-held

Re: Hedychrum nobile (Wasp)

Very interesting wasp. I have never seen one in my neck of the woods. Where are you located, is it a solitary wasp or a social wasp?

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"]</input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

Quote Originally Posted by Iguide

Very interesting wasp. I have never seen one in my neck of the woods. Where are you located, is it a solitary wasp or a social wasp?
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Must be solitary...I only see one. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

<div id="refHTML"]</div>
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Must be solitary...I only see one. :-)
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I see two, and it looks like they are about to kiss [:P]

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonTRD
    I see two, and it looks like they are about to kiss [img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]

I actually see THREE. And yeah...I won't take it any further. This is a family site. [:P][:$]

Quote Originally Posted by powers_brent

I actually see THREE. And yeah...I won't take it any further. This is a family site. [img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img][img]/emoticons/emotion-10.gif[/img]
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

he he he

Well I see that there are at least three people in this world that have too much time on their hands. Do any of you have any idea just what I was asking? No? I didn't think so. Perhaps that is why you answered with attempts at humor. Rather poor attempts at that. So let me go through the steps of trying explain the differences to you.

A solitary wasp let's say Hemipepsis spp. ( Tarantula Hawk Wasp ) is a predatory insect that seeks out it's prey, such as a spider immobilize but does not kill it with her sting, digs a burial chamber puts the spider in ( there may be more than one spider used by her ) lays one egg on a spider. The egg will hatch in a few days and larva will feed on the living but immobilized spiders until it is ready to pupate. Which it does in the chamber until it develops into a fully grown adult, digs it's way out the chamber to start the cycle over again with a new generation.

Social wasps such as Polistes spp. ( Paper Wasp ) live together in nests where they care for the nest and larva with a communal society headed by a queen that lays the eggs and the workers care for the larva and the nest as a group.

So you see if you observe a single wasp it has nothing to do with it being a social or single wasp species. The same can be said of social wasps that are observed away from the nest are. More than one does not mean they are social wasps.

I could not find Hedychurum nobil in any of my North American Insect reference materials so that would lead me to conclude that it comes from another part of the globe.

With that,, our science lesson for the day is concluded.[W]

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"]</input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

Iguide-

Search the net for "Hedychrum nobile" instead.

Iguide if you look at the OP's profile you can see that he is from Switzerland. So I assume, and I may very well be wrong, that the shot was probably taken in Switzerland or nearby.

Well I see that there are at least three people in this world that have too much time on their hands.Do any of you have any idea just what I was asking? No? I didn't think so. Perhaps that is why you answered with attempts at humor. Rather poor attempts at that. So let me go through the steps of trying explain the differences to you.

I can't speak for the world, but in this particular thread, I see only one person with too much time on their hands. Should you decide to take a respite from your busy schedule - which is otherwise apparently quite occupied with denigrating the intelligence of others - and attempt to find him, a nearby polished reflective surface might be a good place to start looking.

<div>

Quote Originally Posted by hj.leuenberger
    Hedychrum nobile (Wasp)

Sorry for the attitude, there's a fly (or wasp, as the case may be) in almost every jar of jam. [:P]

My personal experience with wasps has usually involved avoiding them, rather than capturing their beauty as you've so effectively done. Welcome to the TDP forums, and thanks for sharing the interesting image! []
    </div>