Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wedding Gear Recommendations Needed

Re: Wedding Gear Recommendations Needed

Do you know for sure that you can use a flash during the ceremony? Do you plan on taking solo portraits of the bride? (I certainly hope so!).

I should point out that you have a 1.6x crop body and are proposing another 1.6x crop body, and you have all f/2.8 maximum aperture lenses. That leaves you a bit lacking in the thin DoF and low light department. I'd consider a faster prime (50mm f/1.4, although it's a bit soft wide open, or the 85mm f/1.8, which is an excellent portrait lens).

If you plan to shoot with both bodies (i.e. 17-55mm on one and 70-200mm on the other), you'll probably want a Speedlite on both of them.

Thanks guys!

I'm just doing it as favor, not getting paid. But I am going to be the main photographer.

I did a wedding as second photographer for some of my friends not to long ago with my 17-55 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 II and they Really, Really liked my pictures [] The lighting in that church was a nightmare though.

The church that this wedding will be at, has better lighting I think.

I'm going to try to take a good look at it sometime to see what the lighting and stuff is like. I will post an update when I get to check it out.

I'm sure I can use the flash during the ceremony. I will be using bounce flash if the ceiling is not to high.

Ok I got to visit the church.

The lighting it pretty good. And all of the ceilings are white. Great for ceiling bounce.

This is the gear I plan on bring to the wedding

Canon 7d, With 2 batteries, and a grip.

Canon XSi with grip, and 3 batteries.

Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II,

Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS,

Canon18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS As a backup lens,

Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens,

Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS as a backup telephoto.

Canon Speedlite 580EX II Flash, with 24 AA batteries.

A laptop so I can backup the photos.

A tripod.

Cheklist of important photos to get.

Is there anything that I should add to my list?

Any last minute stuff I should buy or rent?

Quote Originally Posted by Elon Gane
    Canon Speedlite 580EX II Flash, with 24 AA batteries

If you mean 'regular' (alkaline) AA batteries, I'd really recommend rechargeable NiMH batteries - particularly Sanyo eneloop batteries. Like alkalines, they have a good shelf like when charged (a problem with brands other than eneloops, which are specifically designed for that). But most importantly, they offer significantly faster flash recycle times than alkaline batteries (my 430EX II with eneloops can actually keep up with my 7D for a few frames).

If you know you'll need to rely on a flash for many shots, consider bringing a backup flash as well - falling back on the pop-up is not a good idea.

Good luck!

--John

Thanks!

16 of my AA batteries are Sanyo eneloop, the other 8 are rechargeable but not Sanyo eneloop.

Renting another 580EX II flash I think would be a good idea.

So I might add that to the list.

Thanks again!

Sounds like a plan to me
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Elon Gane
    I'm going to be shooting a wedding in October as the main photographer, And need some advice as for what lenses & stuff I should get.

Have you shot a wedding before as a second shooter? If yes, then your new gear will do the job assuming you know how to use it all, especially the flashes. If not, you have a huge task ahead of you and the best thing you could bring with you is an experienced wedding photographer as a second shooter. I started as a second shooter well before I ever considered doing it as lead. There is a tremendous amount of knowledge needed that goes way beyond the gear. And there is no dress rehearsal for the B&G. You have to get it right the first time. Good luck and let us know how it went.

Tom

Elon,

I think you've got it down pretty well. The 50 f/1.4 that everyone has been mentioning would be good, but you'll be fine with the high ISO of the 7D and the f/2.8 of both of your main lenses.

Earlier, you mentioned 2 16GB cards. If you plan on shooting full RAW with the 7D, your files will be about 24MB each. That gives you about 560 high ISO (1600+ in my books) photos per 16GB card. I don't know if you have stocked up more since you last mentioned your cards, but you may look into that. Also, (I've learned this lesson at weddings the hard way), go all out and buy cards that transfer at 60MB/s. My old 30MB/s cards would fail on me when I took too many full RAW photos in a row.

That's my only comment really. You're line up looks good to me! I guess my only last comment from my wedding experience is to have a plan for the worst, but don't dread that the worst will happen. Have fun, you've got to be relaxed or the bride and groom will see your nerves and then no one will be having fun.

Best of luck to you!

Rodger

I can

Good luck Elon Gane! You