Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wedding Gear Recommendations Needed

Wedding Gear Recommendations Needed

I'm going to be shooting a wedding in October as the main photographer, And need some advice as for what lenses & stuff I should get.

This is the gear I currently have:

Canon Rebel XSi with grip,

Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS,

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS,

Canon Speedlite 580EX II.

So what lenses and other stuff should I get? My budget is around $5000 and no more.

I'm currently thinking of getting the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II.

Would those two lenses be good for the whole wedding? It is going to be an inside wedding...

What other lenses should I consider?

What about another camera body?

Is there something else I need?

I would really, really appreciate any advice! []

Thanks!
    <h3 class="r"]<a b5d1226280777ae8c562="true" linkindex="26" href="http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&amp;source=web&amp;cd=1&amp;ved=0CC0QFjAA &amp;url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.the-digital-picture.com%2FReviews%2FCanon-EF-S-17-55mm-f-2.8-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx&amp;ei=VS9aTJ5Ai72eB6_TnYkC&amp;usg=AF QjCNE8vo6BWEuD7jX5kemmqxF2OMPoyA" class="l" onmousedown="return rwt(this,'','','','1','AFQjCNE8vo6BWEuD7jX5kemmqxF 2OMPoyA','','0CC0QFjAA')"]
    [/URL]</h3>

Re: Wedding Gear Recommendations Needed

In addition to the 17-55 and 70-700, I would recommend purchasing a used 40D, 430EX II, and 50/1.4. This should all fit within your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by ShutterbugJohan

In addition to the 17-55 and 70-700, I would recommend purchasing a used 40D, 430EX II, and 50/1.4. This should all fit within your budget.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>
    70-700 would come in pretty handy but it might cost more than $5000[:P]

Hi!

Indoor shoot... You may need another camera body, 2 umbrellas, 3-4 flashes (consider yongnuo 560, about 85-87 $ on e-bay), 3-4 battery packs, a bunch of RF-602 triggers, an assistant, checklist, spare memory card, Canon 50 f/1.4.

If you get an extra camera body then you've got a backup and you can put one lens on each body so you can take group or protrait without changing lenses.

If you're going to use your flash quite a bit you might consider an external battery pack or the transistor pack. Your 580 has a connector for those. I used a Canon transistor packfor a relative's wedding and it made the flash last forever with very quick recycle time. However, having a springy cord attached to something on your belt can get annoying. If you're going to bounce the flash it'll use more battery. Don't forget to pack spares...

Personally I'd consider 85mm f/1.8 rather than 70-200 f/2.8. 200mm is pretty long at 1.6x indoors and 85 f/1.8 isabout 1stop wider than 85 f/2.8 at the short end. 85 f/1.8 takes great portraits- and it's a much lighter load. I'm no indoor wedding expert though - just that's what I'd prefer. Hmmm, $5000, 85 f/1.2... Hmmm...

Probably a good idea to find somewhere about the same size asthe venue, take some friends and try some focal lengths with your current lenses. That'll give you the best idea if you need something particular.

Best of luck.

Paul.

Welcome to the TDP Forums!

Absolutely get a second body. If this is a one-time thing, you might even consider renting one. But, either way having two cameras is much better - there's no do-over - if a lens stops working, well, you can move more and still get shots. If your one camera dies, you're done - and will likely have a very unhappy couple! The other main advantage to a second body is fewer pauses to change lenses.

The EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and theEF 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS are excellent lenses with significant versatility. 200mm on a 1.6x crop might be long indoors, but during the ceremony you may need the length if you're shooting from the back of a church. Asecond the recommendation of a fast prime, 50mm f/1.4 or 85mm f/1.8. The 85/1.8 is an excellent lens for tight portraits (head/shoulders) on a crop body, but the 70-200mm will cover those, and usually you want wider framing at a wedding to show the bride's dress. Consider the 35mm f/1.4L, too, although it will take a substantial part of your budget.

You might also want to consider picking up a 500D Close-Up Lens for the 70-200mm, for hand/ring shots (the 0.21x magnification of the 70-200mm would be enough, but the MFD is 4 feet which might be a challenge - the 500D lens changes that to 20", a more convenient distance). I've used a 500D lens with my 70-200 II, and the results are very good.

For convenience, consider something like a BlackRapid double strap - slinging a body + 70-200 2.8 around your neck with the Canon neck strap will not be comfortable or convenient.

Only other recommendation would be to decide and purchase soon, so you have time to get comfortable with the new gear.

Good luck!

--John

You will need, iron underwear, a few cans of your preferred energy drink, a few pills of valium, earplugs, the ability to tell the mother of the bride to go &amp;^&amp;^ herself as the bride is the boss.

You will need to be able to coax the groom to the alter, wrangle drunk family members, deal with the other guests who have cameras and shadow you......

Quote Originally Posted by Ehcalum

You will need, iron underwear, a few cans of your preferred energy drink, a few pills of valium, earplugs, the ability to tell the mother of the bride to go &amp;^&amp;^ herself as the bride is the boss.

You will need to be able to coax the groom to the alter, wrangle drunk family members, deal with the other guests who have cameras and shadow you......
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

There is too much truth in this jest...

Quote Originally Posted by alex_sb
    You may need another camera body, 2 umbrellas, 3-4 flashes (consider yongnuo 560, about 85-87 $ on e-bay), 3-4 battery packs, a bunch of RF-602 triggers, an assistant, checklist, spare memory card, Canon 50 f/1.4.

I guess buying an assistant would be way out of a $5000 budget [] (Besides, I don't believe current laws would allow that, but you can always hire one [A]).

Wow, everyone said some REALLY GREAT things... not much else to say. My opinion right from the start was... you should an X0D camera (or 7D) as your main camera, and use the XSi you have a spare. 50D or 7D works great, though you could get by just fine with a 40D if you wanted to put more of the money toward your lenses. I own the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM and it's a GREAT lens and a must have for any 1.6x body at a wedding. The 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM I'd also recommend, don't think you need the version two (that should give you enough money to buy an EF 50mm f/1.4 USM instead, which you definitely need!) IF you don't end up getting the 50mm f/1.4, then you'd need both or one of the following: 85mm f/1.8 and 35mm f/1.4 L I'd recommend the 50mm as it's inexpensive and a moderate focal length, vs two lenses that collectively are about 4 times the price of the 50mm. Plus, you'll have less lens changes.

Also, perhaps an ultra-wide angle or fisheye, though that's certainly not necessary.... it just give's some fun to some of the photos... but especially with a fisheye, the look will get old fast so dont' use it too much! The Tokina 10-17mm fisheye is a great option, and the Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 is nice too. For non-fisheye ultra wides, I'd go with the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. I think those 4 lenses and two bodies would do you fine. Then all you'd need is spare memory cards (twice as much as you'd guess you'll need) and another flash (430EXII should be fine).

I like the "assistant" comment... FOR SURE! You really should have a second shooter... and if he/she doesn't have a camera of their own, then you should have a third camera/lens combo for that person! Whatever the case, make sure none of the cameras you and that person are shooting with are pocket cameras.... it would really cheapen your image (even though many pocket cameras take amazing photos!) Also, make sure both of the lenses you currently have aren't used at the wedding, as they won't suffice. The XSi isn't bad, and the 580EXII is perfect though. Get a diffuser or small soft box for each flash you have though too... and wireless transmitter if you can (the Canon 7D has a built-in wireless transmitter and is an amazing camera too... I'd highly recommend that as your main camera). The difference in price from a 50D will almost pay for the wireless transmitter! But the 7D is tougher, weather-sealed, takes video, higher MP, better noise-reduction (which probably about evens out in MP though) and has other goodies!

Oh one more thing... if you mount your 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM that you [hopefully] purchase on your XSi, BE CAREFUL TO ALWAYS HOLD IT BY THE LENS AND NOT THE CAMERA AS YOU MAY BREAK THE XSi's MOUNTING AREA. On non-Rebel bodies, you should be okay!

- Jordan

www.freshphotohawaii.com