Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Use protection to prevent STDs

Re: Use protection to prevent STDs

Glad to help. I actually bought the Storm im3300 rifle case a couple of months back and it
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor

I like the look of the im2400 / 2450 but will have to do some measuring. I really just want to hold the 5D2 gripped...

Measure carefully, and don't forget the padding/foam. I don't think the 2400 will work - I tried out the im2075 with the idea of keeping a gripped body (7D at the time) with attached 17-55/24-105, and a 430EX II, in a downstairs closet for quick access. The gripped 7D would not fit with the padded dividers in place - the case was not deep enough, and the im2400 is shallower than the im2075. So, the im2075 went back. The im2450 should work fine for you, though.

Quote Originally Posted by freelanceshots
    Just hope no one ever breaks into your house and finds that case because that's a very simple way to lose all your valuable equipment in a simple grab and go.

That would be my fear as well.

After a few bad dreams that I came home and all mylens were gone, I invested in a box to store mine as well. It is not to portable, weighs 1600 lbs and has a prety good locking system on it.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

Quote Originally Posted by freelanceshots
    Just hope no one ever breaks into your house and finds that case because that's a very simple way to lose all your valuable equipment in a simple grab and go.

That would be my fear as well.

From my limited knowledge of the subject (based mostly on Discovery Channel and TLC shows on theft), it wouldn't matter if the camera gear is stored in a bright yellow Peli case, in a camera bag in the closet, or stashed in several drawers around the house. 'Professional' thieves will be in and out in minutes and are very thorough. The home security system will deter 'casual' thieves, and the gear is covered by separate insurance against loss. The case isn't to protect from theft (ultimately, nothing can prevent that), but from other unexpected occurrences - burst pipes, toddler hands, etc... Insurance covers those things, too, but the cases are inexpensive self-insurance.

I invested in a box to store mine as well. It is not to portable, weighs 1600 lbs and has a prety good locking system on it.

A 1600 pound box to store your camera gear??

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

A 1600 pound box to store your camera gear??

Well yeah...its called a safe. I have been thinking about one for a while, it cost me a bit more than some of my L lens and alot less than my 500mm F4L.

Very sound advice.

I just ordered Pelican 1564 to put all my gear in. With a few different day bags, I found I would leave bits a pieces in a bag and then spend time wondering where is the remote, or lens cloth and so on. Now I will be able to have it all in the one place.

Great post, thanks.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    I think the im2500 will work out well! Once I round out my lens collection for the trip, I'll do a test-pack to make sure it all fits, and post some pics.

Ok, here's how it shapes up:

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles/00-00-00-35-15/CarryOnCase.jpg[/img]

In the Flipside 400AW is a griped 5DII with EF 24-105mm f/4<span style="color: #ff0000;"]L IS, and working clockwise from there, a PowerShot S95 in a Lowepro Napoli 20 case, EF 16-35mm f/2.8<span style="color: #ff0000;"]L II, 430EX II in it's pouch, TS-E 24mm f/3.5<span style="color: #ff0000;"]L II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8<span style="color: #ff0000;"]L IS II, and the hoods for the 16-35mm and TS-E with an EF 1.4x II Extender tucked in the center. Filters, chargers, cleaning supplies, extra flash cards, etc., are in the outside pocket. The whole backpack fits snugly into the Storm im2500 with all of the dividers and lid padding removed. I think I'm set!

On a related note, I gave the im2075 another try for keeping the camera ready for (pseudo) easy access in a downstairs closet, while maintaining protection. I got the foam version, and with the foam removed except for the lid and the bottom liner, it holds the gripped 5DII + EF 24-105mm f/4<span style="color: #ff0000;"]L IS and the 430EX II, and with the lid closed it's held tightly enough that there's no movement in the case (but not so tight I'm worried about the integrity of the body). With the easy-to-open Storm latches, it's convenient to grab and shoot (as convenient as being in a drawer, at any rate, and safer).

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles/00-00-00-35-15/im2075.jpg[/img]

John

[^o)] Where does the tripod go?

Rick

[img]/emoticons/emotion-40.gif[/img] Where does the tripod go?

LOL. It goes in a 'regular' carry-on (or checked, for that matter). I got a 4-section CF tripod so it will fit in a carry-on - just not that carry-on. CF-magnesium tripods are tough. Once I'm there, it goes on the back of the backpack in the tripod holder.