Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Use protection to prevent STDs

Re: Use protection to prevent STDs

I recently bought a pelican 1550. It good.

(Okay, not as detailed as John's review, but you get the idea)

There's not much not to like. The hardest part is deciding on the size.

Very nice, John!Thanks for making me realize just how disorganized things have become around my place! Now if I could just figure out where to put all the other stuff I've accumulated! Let me know if you ever come across a case that will hold two tripods, two light stands, a backdrop stand, softboxes, umbrellas a beauty dish and various misc. items! [:P]

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by <span>Iguide
    John,<span>you are a hoot. Provocative title with accurate and powerful delivery.

Thanks, Wayne!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle
    I recently bought a pelican 1550. It good.

It good, indeed! The 1550 was on my short list (along with the 1560 and 1610, until I decided to forego wheels). The 1550 is essentially the same height as the 1600, similar style. What swayed me to the 1600 over the 1550 was the extra couple of inches on each side (which I needed, as it turned out) and the fact that a lid organizer is available for the 1600, but not for the 1550.

You left out the most important fact about your 1550 - what color did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by <span>ddt0725
    Let me know if you ever come across a case that will hold two tripods, two light stands, a backdrop stand, softboxes, umbrellas a beauty dish and various misc. items!

That's easy - it's called a closet. [:P] Ok, not waterproof or very protective - but the size (and price) are just right!

I really like this forum. Providing solutions to problems that I am just begining to realize I have. I had been thinking of storing my camera gear at home in a camera bag, but now I'll look at a pelican case. Thanks.....

Same thing just happened in another thread where someone provided a link to "macro rails".....makes perfect sense.

BTW, I can't wait for the after school special on STDs. Kids everywhere will have safer cameras and camera phones.

John:

Yea, I really like the part about a two yr. old. You might have an inkling of what is to come, but actually most likely have no idea. Wait till the teen yrs., you'll have fun then. Mine are all grown &amp; gone and the next young one in my life will most likely be a grandchild. Unless, my young wife of 10 yrs can convince me to get a reversal and make more myself. I aint to sure bout thatun though.

Godspeed

Wayne

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"]</input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    What!? I'm going to make sure I get one that can survive being run over by at least 100 tonnes. [img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]

Hmmmm.... good luck!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    You left out the most important fact about your 1550 - what color did you get?

Light gray. I didn't want black because I use it at night (it holds astrophotography gear) and didnt want it to get too hot during the day. I didn't know it was avaliable in bright yellow or I might have gotten that

I also considered the 1610 because of the wheels, but it wasn't quite the right shape. I have a doskocil extra large (another very nice case) and was looking for another in just about that size.

Mine is foam instead of divided, which I don't think I would recommend for lenses and more standard photography gear, but which was perfect for what I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    First, there&rsquo;s not as much extra room as I had hoped there
    would be.<span> It&rsquo;s not a big issue &ndash;
    it does hold all my gear, and it&rsquo;s not tightly packed, so I can reorganize to
    make more room (I&rsquo;m hoping for a 35mm f/1.4L II and wishing for a 5DIII).

I would just sell off the 85 f/1.8 since you have the 1.2 version already. The 5d could fit if you put both bodies in without lenses attached.

Quote Originally Posted by crosbyharbison
    I would just sell off the 85 f/1.8 since you have the 1.2 version already.

Yes, I'll do that at some point soon. I wasn't sure if I'd need the faster AF at some point in the future, but I haven't used the 85mm f/1.8 since getting the85mm f/1.2<span style="color: red;"]L II, which pretty much answers my question.

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor
    Have a look at Storm Cases as well for your next buy. They are very similar to Pelican cases in construction but I find the latches to be a lot more user friendly. i.e the good old Pelican "knuckle buster" latches can be a pain in the... finger if they get a bit tight.Pelican actually bought out Storm a couple of years ago and started selling them as Pelican Storm cases so they must be the goods. I've got a couple at work and they're just as robust.

I was looking for a case for carrying on a plane, and debated the Pelican 1514 (1510 with dividers) vs. the Storm im2500. One of the things I hate about buying cases/bags online is that you can't test the fit of your gear. Both the 1514 and the im2500 meet the airline requirements and have very similar exterior dimensions. But the internal dimensions (more important for obvious reasons) are a bit different - the Peli is 0.4" deeper, whereas the shallower Storm is 0.5" wider and 0.75" taller. While those don't sound like much, 1/2" can make the difference between a lens upright vs. on its side, or a gripped body not fitting.

I decided on the Storm im2500. To be honest, part of the decision was that it comes in yellow (which matches my Peli 1600, but also stands out better than basic black or desert tan). The latches are much easier than the Pelican (even after they updated them to the double-throw style). As it turns out, that 0.4" of height makes a difference - the 5DII is a very tight fit in the im2500 lying on its side (it wouldn't fit upright in either case without removing the grip).

My first thought was, "Should I return this for the Peli?" But then I thought some more - about why I want/need the case. The only other time I've traveled with my gear by plane (Boston to San Francisco), I simply put it in my Lowepro Flipside 400AW and carried it on the plane, and around town in the same pack. That was a direct flight, and we had a car once we got there. For our trip to China, I'm facing the realistic possibility that I'll have to check the bag at some point - thus the hard case (and a set of Tamperseal locks). But, traveling around China, I'm not going to take a hard case with me walking around! So, if I pack my gear in the hard case for the trip, what do I do with the Flipside 400AW that I'll need to carry it around during the day? Fill it with socks and underwear and check it? Seems a little silly...

The solution is obvious, and Bryan suggested it in one of his hard case reviews - remove the dividers and put the padded camera bag(s) directly in the hard case. Here, the 0.5" of width is definitely in the Storm's favor - the loaded Flipside 400AW is a tight fit for depth in the empty im2500, but it turns out the limiting dimension is width, and while I can get it into the Storm, I think it wouldn't fit into the slightly narrower Peli.

So, thanks for your suggestion of looking into Storm Cases, Ben - I think the im2500 will work out well! Once I round out my lens collection for the trip, I'll do a test-pack to make sure it all fits, and post some pics.