Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wide angle

wide angle

i have the canon 40D and as you all know my 17-85mm is not wide enough sometimes.i want to buy a zoom lens starting from 10mm ,but it turns out that is not a very easy choice.there's canon 10-22mm, sigma 10-20mm ,tamron 10-17mm, and the new tokina 11-16 mm.i know that 11-16mm seems more like a prime lens but is f2.8!!! if if have any of these lenses, please tell me what you think i should do.sigma is cheaper, but has only one year warranty ,tokina seems better optically and has 3 years warranty but is more expensive.

thank you

Re: wide angle

EFs 10-22mm i would go for this.... it beats lots of other manufacturer.It cost alot. but worth it at least with crop sensor it became 16-35.2mm

Save money and buy a Full Frame. 17 will be plenty wide.

Adrian,

Hi. Basically, SupraSonic summarized it quite nicely. The 10-22 is probably the best wide angle lens you can get for the Canon crop cameras. Apart from Bryan's review, I liked what Roger from lensrentals.com said about the lens (I hope it's OK to quote this here!):

"I’m usually not too much of a ‘Canon snob’ and for most items we carry
    several alternative lenses in that focal length. This is an exception –
    I’ve tried the other ‘ultra wides’ and the Canon is just better."

http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon-ef-s-10-22mm-f3.5-4.5/for-canon

Its disadvantages (IMHO) are two: (a) it's expensive (I really didn't want to spend that much money on an EF-S lens) and (b) for the price, the build quality is really not all that great (but I'm generally an L snob). Image quality is great, though, and it's lots of fun using the ultra wide angles.

Regarding the Tok 11-16, here's a nice review:

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/379-tokina_1116_28_canon

Its main disadvanteages (apart from the limited focal length range) are CAs. But, apart from that, it looks like a very sharp lens.

The Sigma 10-20 is OK. Not quite as sharp as the Canon 10-22, but it's a very good value for money (and you get the lens hood and a lens bag too for the price!). I got it but unfortunately I got a horrible copy (very soft on the left side). So, I was put off. Many folks have complained about getting horrible copies of that lens (one after the other too). So, I know that Sigma is maybe trying to save money on doing less QA, but I'm sure having to deal with all the returns is not helping them much...

Hope this helps,

Tony

thank youall, but where i am now (abu dhabi UAE) the 10-22mm from canon costs 1000$ , and the sigma 10-20mm costs around 540$.tokina and tamron is impossible to find but i am still looking .you guys have no ideea how lucky you are living in the States (regarding this subject).

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by adrian mandea
    and the sigma 10-20mm costs around 540$

You could try the Sigma... but make sure you get it from a place where you can return it if the quality is not what you expect...

Tony

you are right, but can you tell me please how can i do that while in the store? is very hard to take the same picture after you change the lens and i don't think they'll let me set up a tripod and do my test shots there. what am i supposed to look for? sharpness? distortions? i can't see much on the camera's display and i might end up with the wrong copy of teh lens without even knowing it.

thank you guys for all the answers and sorry if my english isn't good enough but it is not my first language.

I have found this thread (and website for that matter)VERY helpful. I just purchased my Canon 40D and am looking for a wide angle lens for landscapes as I am going to New Zealand next month and want to take some pix of the scenery w/o a tripod. I am a beginner but will invest in a good lens if I will be able to learn and grow with it. I was looking into the Canon 10-22 but am a bit concerned for the $$ and no tripod it would not be a good fit.

Thoughts??

Thanks much in advance!

I have found this thread (and website for that matter)VERY helpful. I just purchased my Canon 40D and am looking for a wide angle lens for landscapes as I am going to New Zealand next month and want to take some pix of the scenery w/o a tripod. I am a beginner but will invest in a good lens if I will be able to learn and grow with it. I was looking into the Canon 10-22 but am a bit concerned for the $$ and no tripod it would not be a good fit.

Thoughts??

Thanks much in advance!

I'd recommend the Tokina 12-24 f/4. Very sharp, costs less than the 10-22 and is built like a tank.