Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats lenses do I have to buy?

whats lenses do I have to buy?

Hi, I am very new to this DSLR, I only knew about this type of camera few days ago through my sister. Anyway I just bough a Canon 450D body only and I need to buy the lens to go with it. I was looking at the 50mm f/1.8 lens and 55-250mm f/4-5.6 (base on what my sister told me to buy) but then when I read some of the comment on this web site I got confused that do I have to buy the lens kit which is 18-55mm in order to use the lens I wanted to buy or not? Or can I just buy the lenses I want and use straight away? Also what is two lenses? I saw someone was talking about using 2 lenses to take this type of photo and 1 lens to take a different type of photo. I really appreciate for everyone help.

Re: whats lenses do I have to buy?

Hi Jeany,

You do not have to buy the kit lens. The 50mm f/1.8 and 55-250mm f/4.5-5.6 will work just fine. Although you may find that you want something wider. 50mm on the 450D is not very wide.

Let us know what type of pictures you want to take, what your budget is, and I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice.

Derek

I might suggest something like a 17-55mm or a 17-85mm for your walking around lens. I think you will find that 50 or 55mm on the short side will not give enough wide angle view making you want to back off a "close up" quite a fair piece. Those are both EF-S lens and I would double check to make sure that they sill work on a 450D body. Mostly the point I was trying to make is that I would suggest that you have some/a lens that starts with a lower mm than a 50 or 55mm by a fair amount.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"]</input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

Congratulations on your DSLR, you'll love it. I'll agree with the others about needing a wider lens. As you seem to be looking for lower prices lenses, consider a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. It's supposed to be a great lens.

Quote Originally Posted by jeany
    Also what is two lenses? I saw someone was talking about using 2 lenses to take this type of photo and 1 lens to take a different type of photo.

I remember a recent post about that. What they did was mount one lens to the camera. Onto that lens they put a reversal ring, which just has threads on both sides, allowing you to mount a lens backwards. The second lens is mounted backwards, so that it's front is facing the first lens's front. If you already own these lenses, the reversal ring provides a cheap way to use them together as a macro lens. If you don't have the lenses already, you could look into a proper macro lens, or a close-up filter that fits on your 55-250 (close-up filters work best on telephoto lenses), or extensions tubes (which, I think, work best on non-telephoto lenses)
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Hi.. You might consider Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non vc. It's one of my favorite lens. 90% of the time attached to my rebel xsi/450d. Nifty-fifty 50mm 1.8, best price value lens for Canon, great also for low light photographs

Hi Jeany and welcome,

You do not need to purchase the kit lens. You have the body so now you can get any lens you like and attach that.

I also think the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 would be a good starter lens for you. As you are new to DSLR's it's not overly expensive and will give you a fantastic starting point. You might also consider the Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. It's another reasonably priced lens with a good focal length range. The tradeoff with having the great range is that image quality can suffer a little. It's a great lens to start out with though.

I started out with the Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS when I bought my first DSLR and it was great for me until I learnt more about photography and wanted to upgrade. It's also a nice piece of kit for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Iguide

Those are both EF-S lens and I would double check to make sure that they sill work on a 450D body.

Both EF and EF-S lenses will work on the 450D so you are not limited to any particular type of lens.

Hope this helps, enjoy learning the intricacies of a DSLR.

Ben.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Thank you very much for the advice from every one. I love to take a picture of my baby so what is your opinion about what type of lens should i use? And because I am a stay at home mum at the moment so I only have a small budget to spent just for now until I go back to work lol. Many thanks.

Go for the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. It will serve you well for that purpose. Have fun!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor

Go for the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. It will serve you well for that purpose. Have fun!
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

If Iam not wrong my camera only use the EF or EF-S lenses, so would the Tamron 17-50mm will work on my camera?

Quote Originally Posted by jeany
    If Iam not wrong my camera only use the EF or EF-S lenses, so would the Tamron 17-50mm will work on my camera?

Yes, the Tamron 17-50 will work on your camera. EF and EF-S are Canon brand names, so Tamron cannot use them. Instead, they just say that the lens is for "Canon mount" or for "Canon EOS Digital Cameras".