Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forum Issues

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Forum Issues

To all, Before I email Bryan, I wanted to make sure that my issues with the forum are actually forum issues and notBob issues.

1. I am getting duplicate responses in my email to the discusions I am monitoring. Is anyone else having this issue? If so, does Bryan already know.

2. In your profile, there is an option for your personal web address, But I can't find where that is available to other users or even myself? I would gladley like that to be available to others and I would like to be able to view the sites of others without having to go through the discussion strings to find them---Am I missing something obvious?

3. I seem to remember a forum topic that was specifically for forum issues, But I no longer see that---Am I losing my mind or did it go away?

4.I often find myself deletingphotographs off of the site so that I can show a newer photo. Unfortunately, the old photo is removed from the previous discussion string.I know Bryan works very hard to keep the site free and available to all and as such, he has to limit storage space. My question is:

Would other regularforum members be willing or interested in paying a small annual fee for an enhanced membership that offersincreased storage? Is this something we should request from Bryan?

Bob
    Bob

Re: Forum Issues

I have noticed #2 before as well. I'm not currently subscribed to any active threads, so I can't help you there.

As for uploading photos, you might try linking from your flickr (if you have one). There is a thing on flickr that will generate the code for you, all you have to do is copy and paste it. I find that quicker and easier than uploading to this site, mostly because the upload function doesn't seem to work for me. Maybe I'm just already over my limit from the two photos I do have.

They're not just Bob issues, there seems to be something funny going on. I'm getting duplicate emails of threads I'm subscribed to as well. Have also noticed # 2 before.

I agree that the best way to free up space is just to link to your flickr/ other file sharing site's image url.

Hope this eases your mind... you crazy B#$tard!!!! []
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Hmm, did I upset the internet gods, Now none of my pics are available in my profile?
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams

Hmm, did I upset the internet gods, Now none of my pics are available in my profile?

No, this is another non-Bob forum issue. They are there, sort of - the links to them are functioning improperly. For example, I see no thumbnails on my profile page, but when I click on a missing thumbnail, the image does display. Posting images in threads results in them being visible immediately, then the link breaks (and sometimes, you cannot even link the image). Bryan is aware of the issue.

The duplicate notification is also a forum issue; I wasn't sure if it applied to thread posts (I routinely uncheck the email notification box), but updates to Conversations resulted in me getting triplicate email notices. Bryan is aware of that one, too.

In your profile, there is an option for your personal web address, But I can't find where that is available to other users or even myself?

Agreed - I can't find it displayed after it's entered. I don't think this is a new issue. I suppose you could add it as ann announcement, or simply put the link right in your Bio.

Quote Originally Posted by <span>btaylor
    I agree that the best way to free up space is just to link to your flickr/ other file sharing site's image url.

Concur. But, after I finally de-cluttered my Flickr page, and posted the link to it here, I've wanted to keep it mostly uncluttered. So, I have been using the TDP upload space for things like 100% crops, examples used in responses, etc. Hopefully the site will be functioning properly again soon!

Hi All:

There are some other issues also, like when I try to reset my password it tells me I can't and when I was able to it does not stick, only the one that was assigned to me once mine dissipated into thin air during the change. I guess he is having a really hard time with the m0ve and I know from personal experience that fairly often the site that is being left can make it very difficult if they know before you go. I don't know if that is happening here, but nothing is so bad to me yet that it is a problem &amp; I'll just let him handle it as he can. I know it can be VERY frustrating from where he is sitting.

Bob Williams

Would other regularforum members be willing or interested in paying a
    small annual fee for an enhanced membership that offersincreased
    storage? Is this something we should request from Bryan?

To answer both of your questions Bob, I don't know &amp; I don't know. I do know that I really enjoy the site and most of the people, however I also find myself going to other sites that are Canon exclusively. The public is not spending a lot this year so funds can be a bit tight, but I suppose that a small annual fee won't drive me to live in the poor house. What amount were you thinking of Bob? I could probably go for $20 or $25 per year as those are amounts of other groups associations &amp; clubs I belong to. How about the rest of you now that Bob has brought it up?

Godspeed

Wayne

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden" /><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"]</input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

Hi Bob &amp; All,

1. Thanks for letting me know that - Neuro made me aware of this also.

2. I took a quick run through the configuration options and do not see an option to make the email address displayable. I'm sure this is for privacy reasons. The advice to include it in your bio sounds good to me.

3. There indeed used to be a forum suggestions topic. I removed it for two reasons - the first is that it was not used much and the second is to make the forum site more ready for a version upgrade that functions a bit differently. I'm still unsure I likethe new version- and obviously have not rolled it out yet. Sending me an email works best for me.

4. Relative to what everything else costs, the image storage is not a huge expense. I'm open to some suggestions on how much storage you would like to have. The images are currently stored on Amazon S3.

4b. One of the big problems I've been working on is that some of the site-hosted images are not showing up right now. Telligent support is baffled - as am I. We're definitely working on it.

Thanks,

Bryan

I often find myself deletingphotographs off of the site so that I can show a newer photo.

I had the same problem before, after neuroanatomist pointed out we can use other online image storages on other thread, I have started to use http://imageshack.us/ and it's been working pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto

I had the same problem before, after neuroanatomist pointed out we can use other online image storages on other thread, I have started to use http://imageshack.us/ and it's been working pretty well.

Hmm, When using these types of services, does the picture display on the forum or just the link?

This is a test for me:

http://rwilliamsimaging.com/p841423985/he8cdac0#he8cdac0

Bob

Hey Bob,

The image should show, not just the link. I'm far from and expert with html code and stuff but you need to include the right code to do it though. So for this image (linked to my flickr account) the code would be (minus the spaces inside each square bracket:

[ img ] http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4120/...a17d01e80d.jpg [ /img ]

the bits you need to add are in bold.

Something simple... by Ben__Taylor, on Flickr/

(I HOPE THIS WORKS OTHERWISE I'LL LOOK LIKE A PROPER DILL! [:S] )

If you use flickr then you can just open the photo in your photostream, click on "Share This", click "Grab the HTML" then click "BBC Code". Copy this link and past in into you post and it should show up like above with a link and the image.

Smart eh!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30