Thread: Photoshop

Photoshop

Hi All

I am comparatively new to photography but having now got my head around the 5d just a little, I am thinking about buying Photoshop, but I am totally confused by the vast difference in prices.

Whilst I appreciate that the very low prices are most likely copies, the American internet prices are up to 50% less than GB pricing.

Also does the1 user licence mean you can only load on 1 machine?

Which version do I buy?.... I hate throwing money away unnecessarily, so if I need the latest version, I would sooner buy it now than go through the upgrade route.

Any advice/comments will be most appreciated.

Thanks

Keith

Re: Photoshop

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]Hi Keith, welcome to TDP.

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]This is a excerpt from the licence agreement for Photoshop CS5.

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]2.5 Portable or Home Computer Use. Subject to the important restrictions set forth in Section 2.6, the primary user of the Computer on which the Software is installed under Section 2.2 (&ldquo;Primary User&rdquo may install a second copy of the Software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable Computer or a Computer located at his or her home, provided that the Software on the portable or home Computer is not used at the same time as the Software on the primary Computer.

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]So as far as I can see you are able to install CS5 on two computers, as long as they aren't being used at the same time. I suppose that's where a volume licence would be used. Just quietly though, I can't see how they would monitor this though, especially if you weren't connected to the internet at the time.

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]Furthermore, if you have one computer running Windows and another running Mac OS then you'd need to purchase a separate licence for each.

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]I can't help you out with the difference in prices between countries.

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]I'd suggest you look at the base version of CS5, unless you are interested in 3D rendering then you might consider the extended version. Also, if you or your spouse or whoever else is a student or teacher, go for the education version as it's so so much cheaper. Just be sure you can qualify for that version before purchasing.

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]If you don't want to go all out have a look at Adobe's Lightroom 3. It doesn't have all the features of photoshop but is great for managing youphotos and making a hugerange of adjustments to them. It's a very popular program.

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]Hope this helps.

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]Cheers, Ben.

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Hi Ben

Thanks for the welcome and the reply. Unfortunately I am nearer the OAP range than student, so I've no chance of getting the cheaper option.

Thanks

Keith

Welcome to the forum.

I am a part time professional wedding photographer. I use photoshop elements 5. I am sure I would like CS5 but elements serves me well. I would rather put the other $500 towards new glass.

Mark

www.markclemphotography.com

Mark

You're welcome Keith.

Mark has a good point there that I didn't consider. Photoshop elements has a lot of the features in CS5 and would be another good option. CS5 can be pretty heavy to get your head around. I've been using CS4 for 2 years and I'm still learning.

Ben
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Re: photoshop discounts... It probably wont help you but dont forget that you can get the educational discounts for your children... My 5year old is the proud owner of a copy of elements ... which he lets me use. (and to be fair; he can use the spot healing tool like a pro, when he's not just painting purple onto all the faces)