Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lightning over Pine Key, FL

Re: Lightning over Pine Key, FL

Dallas nails it: "absolutely a magnificent shot"

Really epic composition too, I've never seen anything quite like this. Maybe it's the water. Very powerful!

Anything to add you ask? ...tell how you captured it.

great pic...how in lords name can you identify barrel distortion and sof edges on that shot...stop pixel counting so much and enjoy the result would be my only advise

Rick You can accept what you see. It's very powerful and a one in a million image capture. You should enjoy it for what it says. Looks like you are doing fine with the equipment here. It's the person behind the tool that makes great photographs pulling the most out of what there is to work with. Thanks for sharing this.

Hi Bryan,

I wanted to thank you for both the comment left and the advice from my e-mail about the 5D2 and 1Ds2. Sorry for the late reply and post as I was without a computer this weekend. Doesn't look like I will be able to pick up either body. Just doesn't seem like I'll ever catch a break. I'm sure I'll talk to you later!!

Rick

No trigger here, however I would like to try it out someday. I live in Tampa, FL and during the months from mid May (if I'm lucky) to about late October there are thunderstorms that you can just about set your watch to everday. During that time I set my alarm on my cell phone to 12am and 2:30am so I can wake up and check the radar on it. This particular night there were a couple very small cells rolling in off the gulf so I got out of bed and flew out to the Skyway bridge (I-275) which goes over the opening of Tampa bay. There is a small rest stop there on either side of the bridge where I can pull right up to the water, get out of the car and walk down the shore a few yards to set up. So here I am on the water line with my tripod as low as it will go while squatting down to take pictures of the incoming storm (nothing around for 30 yards or so, I just happened to be the tallest thing out there. NOT something I like). This was the third frame taken that night of about 30 before I had to leave and drive to work. Summers are bad for me since I work about 40 miles from home and usually do not get any sleep as I'm out shooting storms from 1am-5am until I have no choice but to leave and go to work. Had some close calls (within 20 yards before) and I'm sure I'll get struck sooner or later but the rewards, for me at least, are worth it. Anyway, I'm glad everyone seemed to like it. Again, I'm sorry it took so long to respond. Talk to you all later!!

Rick

Thanks John. It's sooooo hard sometimes when I think about what I could really do if I had the equipment I wanted. One day...I will get a 1Ds and some decent lenses. Maybe then I can get my photos out there. I can't imagine the kind of detail I could pull out of that lightning with a full frame high res camera. I won't even get started with med format!! ;-)

Hey, it's a goal. A little something to reach for.

Rick

*picks jaw off floor*

Beautiful.

Add a good line, and you can sell them on Skymall as inspirational posters

I think that with photoshop you can fix this photo, and make it more like you want it too. It can also take the barrel distortion out, and you should try to burn the highlights in the clouds to make them stand out more in photoshop. Otherwise I think you've got an amazing shot.

Quick update....Got a 1Ds2!! Now of course, I have to wait for storm season :-(

But this season is going to be REALLY fun. Picked up the 100mm Macro lens with it so I have something to help pass the time. This lens is by far the most fun I've had with new glass! I am obviously new to Macro so I will be putting up some shots for critique. Talk to you all soon.

Very cool photo!