Thread: Canon 300mm f4 L IS: Any Experiences On FF?

Canon 300mm f4 L IS: Any Experiences On FF?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a longer lens and I recently rented the Canon 300mm f4 L IS to try it out. I did some shooting with it on my 40D last night and, so far, I really like it. I would like to move to a FF body eventually. Does anyone have any experience with this lens on FF? Were / are you happy with it?

Thanks,

Tony

Re: Canon 300mm f4 L IS: Any Experiences On FF?

It's a fanatastic lens for both FF and crop. It works great with the 1.4x and is light and portable enough to pack into the bush. Most highly recommended! Only drawback is that it only has older 2 stop IS.

I used mine on a 40D and 5D. I found it to be sharp, with good contrast and color. I reluctantly sold it because it was not on my camera enough to justify the cost. It held it's value extremely well so I didn't lose much for the 1-2 years I owned it (could not have rented it for less). If you want it for birds, animals, etc. it will do well, but the 400 f/5.6 might be better, w/o the IS of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Printezis
    I'm looking for a longer lens and I recently rented the Canon 300mm f4 L IS to try it out. I did some shooting with it on my 40D last night and, so far, I really like it.

I haven't used the lens, but I just want to say this. You might be very happy with the 300mm on a crop body, however a lens like this acts a whole lot different on FF. If you like the reach the crop sensor gives you, you could be in for a surprise once you go FF.

It's real different world and if you really like long range, FF is something you really must get used to I think.

If you have a lens you can put to 185mm, that would give you about the same angle of view as the 300mm would give you on a FF body.

Hope this makes any sense,

Jan

My favorite lens on both 7D and 5dMII. By itself, w/ extension tube, w/ tele-xtender, w/both. This lens just simply puts out great images. However, autofocus is a little slow for BIF, especially with IS On in either Setting 1 or 2.

<span style="font-size: 11.6667px;"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Printezis

<span style="font-size: 11.6667px;"]I'm looking for a longer lens... I would like to move to a FF body...

I haven't used this lens either, however I do own the 300mm f/2.8L IS on a 7D (1.6X) crop body and the image quality is outstanding (but it costs a small fortune), but I agree with the others, that it will represent a much shorter focal length on a FF Body.

The 300mm f/4L IS will work great on a FF Body. The only problem is that you will be taking one step forward with this longer 300mm lens and then when you put it on a FF Body, you will be taking one step backwards regarding your desire for a longer lens.

<span style="font-size: 11.6667px;"]The 300mm lens on your 40D 1.6X crop body represents a 480mm focal length and it will only be a 300mm on a FF body. So, if you like the extra reach then you could always add a 1.4X extender and bring the 300mm f/4 back up to 420mm f/5.6 and keep the IS, or you could consider the 400mm f/5.6 but then you loose the IS, loose the faster f/4 at 300mm, and some versatility as compared to the 300mm with a 1.4x extender.

Rich

I own the EF 300/4L IS as well as the EF 300/2.8L IS, and shoot on a 5D2.

The 300/4 is very sharp, very portable, and performs best from f/5.6 - 8. The corners are a bit soft at f/4, but it is still really quite good. There's some very slight CA that is easily fixed if you shoot RAW. The main issue I have with this lens is that it has relatively old IS, and AF is not the fastest. It does not take the EF Extender 1.4x II as well as the 300/2.8, but it does reasonably well. The one big advantage it has over the f/2.8 is the close focusing ability--it has one of the highest maximum magnifications of any telephoto lens. More than the light weight, it is the one reason why I have not yet sold my copy.

The 300/2.8...well, where to begin.... This lens is ridiculously sharp but also terribly heavy at 6 pounds. Best performance is from f/2.8 - f/5.6, although it is still sharper at f/8 than the 300/4 is at f/4. Contrast is superior to the 300/4. Lateral CA is pretty much nonexistent, though you can see some axial CA if you shoot in high-contrast situations wide open. There is some vignetting at f/2.8 but it becomes unnoticeable by about f/4. It takes the EF Extender 1.4x II quite well. AF is very fast.

In summary, the 300/4L IS will give you excellent image quality on a full-frame sensor, better than any zoom, including the 100-400/4.5-5.6L IS, but if your intent is to use an extender, you'll find the 400/5.6L or the 100-400 to be a better solution.

Hi all,

First, thanks very much for taking the time to share your experiences.

Only drawback is that it only has older 2 stop IS.

Of course, but it's better than no IS. :-)

but the 400 f/5.6 might be better, w/o the IS of course.

you'll find the 400/5.6L

I did try the 400mm 5.6. I liked how lightweight it is and I very much liked its IQ. And I did get some great shots with it. But, I found the lack of IS very limiting in lower light conditions (during which I really enjoy shooting). Clearly, I'm totally spoiled by the excellent IS on my 700-200 f4 IS.

or the 100-400 to be a better solution.

I haven't been enamored by the 100-400. The push/pull look awkward and the IS is apparently not much better than the 300mm f4. Additionally, the 300mm f4 will give me f4 at 300mm, which is a stop faster than the 100-400 at the same focal length.

You might be very happy with the 300mm on a crop body, however a lens
    like this acts a whole lot different on FF. If you like the reach the
    crop sensor gives you, you could be in for a surprise once you go FF.

The only problem is that you will be taking one step forward with this
    longer 300mm lens and then when you put it on a FF Body, you will be
    taking one step backwards regarding your desire for a longer lens.

It's real different world and if you really like long range, FF is something you really must get used to I think.

I totally understand the focal length differences between the crop and FF bodies. Right now my longest lens is the 70-200 (which has worked for me pretty well on my crop bodies). Which is also why I'm looking for a longer lens, 200mm will probably be a bit short on a FF.

I do own the 300mm f/2.8L IS on a 7D (1.6X) crop body and the image quality is outstanding

This lens is ridiculously sharp but also terribly heavy at 6 pounds.

I'd of course love to have the 300mm 2.8. But (a) I can't justify its price and (b) I don't want to carry it around.

Tony