Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Capturing Hummers

Re: Capturing Hummers

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W

Bob....good thought to start this link and you have some nice shots, but I have to say I prefer natural light capturing my HBs.

Well, Afew of reasons I am trying to get the flash technique down.

1st--To get the bright <span style="font-family: Verdana; color: #000000; font-size: 9pt;"]Iridescent colors to light up.According to most of my reading,off camera flash (usually multiple flashes)is the only consistant way to achieve this.

<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: #000000; font-size: 9pt;"]2nd, I like the natural look of blurred wings, but I also like to see some detail in the wings, not complete blurs or ghosted images. To me, the ghosting often makes it look like the bird has four wings

<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: #000000; font-size: 9pt;"]3rd, My bird feeder is under a shaded porch or early in the morning it has a strong backlight from the rising sun---Either way, I need some sort of light unless I move my equipment in to the yard and then I get the house as a background..

<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: #000000; font-size: 9pt;"]Finally, Don't get me wrong, You and others that use existing light are getting some great shots--I really like them. But for me, its as much about understanding the technical challenge offlash technique as it is about getting the shot.

<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: #000000; font-size: 9pt;"]Here are a couple of more shots I took yesterday: Although I didn't achieve my goals, I am getting closer--On these shots the wings are almost frozen, thanks to 1/4000 shutter speed and attached flash on HSS at about 1/16th power. Actually the wings are a little too frozen, even for my taste and I didn't get the color pop that I do with the off camera flash, but, again, I am starting to understand more. This afternoon, I will slow the shutter to 1/2000 with same set up and see if I can get the wing effect I am looking for.

<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: #000000; font-size: 9pt;"]This shot is very soft, but I did like the comical pose the bird offered:

<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: #000000; font-size: 9pt;"]

Here are a couple more:

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade

Very nice work, capturing those little guys in natural light.

I tend to like both types of hummingbird shots, the "frozen" multi-flash ones and the natural ones. The challenge with ambient light alone is to get enough light for a good exposure to review good feather detail on the head and body. These I took with a combination of ambient light and fill flash. I don't like the head angle on the first one but it demonstrates the technique.

Joel, Very Nice Work, ---I really like these shots.
    Bob

Hey Bob,

I hope I didn't come out too strong. I like your shots and I get your point of shooting with flashes.

I'm not sure how far away your flash needs to be, but wired ETTL cables aren't that expensive at all and they allow you to use wired of-camera flash with ETTL and HSS.

I like your 3rd shot of the latest set. While the background suffers from some noise(which is fixable) the bird has nice details and colors.

Anyway good thread since I often see pictures of hummingbirds passing by. Perhaps you can call your thread: "Masterclass shooting hummers" []

Good luck with trying your techniques!

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    I hope I didn't come out too strong.

Not too strong at all, Jan--Infact, I liked your comments ---Learning aboutvarying techniques and tastes helps me a great deal in what I am trying to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    I'm not sure how far away your flash needs to be, but wired ETTL cables aren't that expensive at all and they allow you to use wired of-camera flash with ETTL and HSS.

Actually, I have been looking for a reason to buy a set of pocket wizards--I understand that they can communicate ETTL and HSS information----As far as a tether, Imay give that a try in the interim.

I will fix the noise issue today.

Thanks
    Bob

Bob....like Jan I hope I didn't come across too harsh....if so, mea culpa.

Iridescence;yeah I hear you here. My garden is set upso I shoot from the East side in the morning which gives me the lighting I need to light up the m RTHB's gorget. That is, when the male shows up....I have more females and they chase the male(s) as soon as he appears. So my photo ops of a male are limited.

I applaud you for expanding your photography techniques Bob....I just haven't been motivated to shoot the HBs w/a flash since blowing out their eyes w/my 580.

BTW....I enjoy their comical positions also...thanks for posting yours.

Second BTW Bob....headedto ABQ Labor Day wkend for a week's visit w/my cousin. He's a Nikonian, but he's alright, plus he has a great back yard for the local HBs.

Keep posting your attempts....

Regards

Bill

Just wondering did anybody catch Nature's Magic in Air (repeat) on your local PBS station?

If not, you should; superb video shots and commentary on a large variety of HBs.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/hummingbirds-magic-in-the-air/introduction/5424/

Bill,

Love the splash. Whatever technigue is used, at the end of the day if its a great shot the shoot was a success.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams
    I liked your comments ---Learning aboutvarying techniques and tastes helps me a great deal in what I am trying to do.

Well to be honest where I live are no hummingbirds nor am I a bird-photographer. So don't take my advice too serious []

The fact was that I've never seen photos of hummingbirds without flash and I really liked what I saw. The black backgrounds on a lot of shots are very disturbing I think personally.

Actually, I have been looking for a reason to buy a set of pocket wizards--I understand that they can communicate ETTL and HSS information----As far as a tether, Imay give that a try in the interim.

Well they can, but they are very expensive if you just want to try...

I will fix the noise issue today.

Well the bird looks good, it's only the background that needs some work I think.

headedto ABQ Labor Day wkend for a week's visit w/my cousin. He's a Nikonian, but he's alright
    <div>

I would sincerely doubt that Bill and from the bottom of my heart I must warn you: do not take the bait!!! Brrr...the idea....horrible.. []

If not, you should; superb video shots and commentary on a large variety of HBs.
    <div>

Arg... it isn't supported in my region [] I will find another way to see it [:P]

Jan

As for now: Bob I'm really curious how your photos will look like at the end of all this [Y]
    </div>
    </div>

Actually, I have been looking for a reason to buy a set of pocket wizards--I understand that they can communicate ETTL and HSS information.

The PocketWizard Mini/Flex units do communication ETTL and HSS information, and they can also squeak out an extra 1-2 stops of light from your remote flash(es) when doing HSS (and use less battery power when doing so). Although I rarely do on-camera flash anyway, I always go for the PW units when battling sunlight. I've had some incredible successes shooting bicyclists courtesy of my PWs in broad 11am sunlight with &lt;2 second recycle times and great coverage.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Just wondering did anybody catch Nature's Magic in Air (repeat) on your local PBS station?

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/hummingbirds-magic-in-the-air/introduction/5424/

Had downloaded it and have just seen it...

WOW! Pretty cool documentary on hummingbirds. Now I know why you guys all love to take shots of them. They are something special.

Very cool and thanks for telling Bill.