Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Capturing Hummers

Re: Capturing Hummers

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W

Just wondering did anybody catch Nature's Magic in Air (repeat) on your local PBS station?

If not, you should; superb video shots and commentary on a large variety of HBs.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/hummingbirds-magic-in-the-air/introduction/5424/

This show is wonderful---Wish I was in South America---well maybe not---But those birds are just to cool. Would love to shoot some of those.

Bob

Sorry for ignoring the string these past few days, but I was so excited about the lightning, the birds took a back seat. Anyway, I was back out this evening and I think I figured acouple ofthings out. You guys tell me:

1. The noise, I adjusted exposure so that I didn't have to push in post. I also dropped my ISO by half

2. This is a taste thing, But the wing blur is about like I want it. It shows some detail, but also shows some movement without the ghosting (Shutter speed 2000)------ 4000+ does a pretty good job atfreezing thewings.

On this set, I was still trying to light up the iridescent feathers so I used a 400 watt halogen shop light at about a 30 degree angle from the bird and 2 feet away (Surprisingly, this didn't seem to bother them)---And my on camera speed light set at 1/8th. Unfortunately, the heavily colored birds weren't interested in modeling for me---They were more interested in defending the feeder than eating from it.

So here are my results, please tell me if you think I got 1 and 2 right. I will say that I am tired of the green background and need to put some flowers in the pic---but for now, I was just trying to get some of the technique down.

Settings: ISO 800, F 5.6, 1/2000. One 400 watt halogen light, on camera Speedlight set to 1/8th, tripod, remote.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob

Bob,

Much better! The eye is sharp in each shot and for me that is key. If the eye is not sharp than the shot is not a keeper. With all of that light I thought you might be able to knock the ISO down even more. What lens are you using?

Tom

Bob -

I love the second and last one!! Wow, what a difference from your first set! You're determination & dedication are sure paying off ...I think you have the camera settings and lighting set uppretty darn good now! [Y] I am very impressed (and envious)!

Denise

OK, Bob, this is what I think

you cropped a little too much(bird looks a little too big and just about to loss detail)

a little noisy

lighting feels a little "flat"(I don't know if it's a correct word to describe it and also don't know how to make it better and maybe I'm totally wrong.I just feel that way and I guess that's why Joel uses multi flash)

other than that, they are great shots and everybody can see a great improvement from your first set.

just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto

you cropped a little too much(bird looks a little too big and just about to loss detail)

Agree, I purposely went a little wider to increase my chances of catching the birds, which means I had to crop about 50% when I did catch a bird----But, Like you, I didn't care for the end result. I don't think I'll use that approach again.

a little noisy

Hmm, I don't see it, Perhaps my monitor, my eyes---But I will be mindfull in post next time.

lighting feels a little "flat"(I don't know if it's a correct word to describe it and also don't know how to make it better and maybe I'm totally wrong.I just feel that way and I guess that's why Joel uses multi flash)

Agree, I am still not happy with the on camera speedlight--The halogen light didn't seem to add much either. I also didn't like the "two" lightsources reflecting in the eyes.

JJ, Thanks for your input and critique, it is very useful.

Bob
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

Bob -

I love the second and last one!! Wow, what a difference from your first set! You're determination & dedication are sure paying off ...I think you have the camera settings and lighting set uppretty darn good now! [img]/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img] I am very impressed (and envious)!

Denise
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Thanks Denise, I appreciate the support.

Bob
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wertman
    With all of that light I thought you might be able to knock the ISO down even more. What lens are you using?

Tom, I am using the 100-400 and this time I pulled it back to about 320mm. The ISO is what I needed to get the back ground lit up at at these shutter speeds. Now, I think I can afford to drop the shutter even more and still get my desired effect. As far as the back ground---That is a group of trees about 100 Yards away---so I am kind of stuck with that until I build some kind background stand. I also have been shooting in the late afternoon so the ambient light starts to change rapidly on me.

Thanks for the remarks,

Bob
    Bob

Bob....nice job. I agree w/Tom, ifthe bird'seye(s) are notsharp the photo gets the big "D".

On my monitor (or my eyes)your noiseis a non-issue, but as JJ pointed out the cropping is tight. But, I'll assume your feeder is right in front of the HB's beak and you wanted it out of the picture.

I also have a tendency to crop too tightly and then increase size as large as possible....sometimes 100% to getas muchdetail of their feathers (scales?).

Also, I like the your wing detail (though I don't shoot much over 1/1000th and I will go as low as 1/80th). IMO, it's a nice balance of movement and detail.

You have given me some motivation Bob....I've been toying w/the idea of purchasing some painters' lamps and bulbs w/Kelvin ratings of 2700 to 5000k to help light up my area when the shade moves in.

BTW....are these Calliopes?

Spending money on lighting is not necessary if your Hummers are in a good spot. My technique described above explains how I do it. Unfortunately until Bryan can get this forum back to normal my included samples are not available. Not complaining I know he is hard at work.

Bob, can you get the lighting up higher above the Hummers? It may bring out more of the colors. Just a thought...

Tom