Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast

Thread: Capturing Hummers

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    PS I have obtained a second hand Epson 3880 printer and I am planning to print some HB backgrounds .... it can go up to 17X22 inches. If you're interested, I can print a few and send 'em for you to try.
    Thanks Joel, I appreciate the offer, but I too have a large printer; I have just been to lazy to make my own backgrounds. Congrats again on the grandbaby.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    Thanks Joel, I appreciate the offer, but I too have a large printer; I have just been to lazy to make my own backgrounds. Congrats again on the grandbaby.
    I have had the same problem ... I keep saying it's just too hot outside ... perfect excuse!!

Here are some more from Sunday morning: I changed the backgrounds up a little. The first is a piece of cloth that I purchased from Wal-Mart; the second is one of my wife's plants, I think it's a coleus? Shhhhhh---Don't tell her I borrowed it.

I am not sure I like this background, tell me what you think?

and here is the second with The Wife's plant: I think I like this one as a background.

Bob

Bob:

I have been away for awhile, and got back to find you have posted a lot of great shots of HB's. It is nice to see you posting them... I always enjoy your HB's.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    Bob:

I have been away for awhile, and got back to find you have posted a lot of great shots of HB's. It is nice to see you posting them... I always enjoy your HB's.
    Thanks C
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    Bob:

+1 ... never boring to me, fascinating to see high speed events frozen with exquisite detail

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    The first is a piece of cloth that I purchased from Wal-Mart; the second is one of my wife's plants, I think it's a coleus?
    I am not sure I like this background, tell me what you think?
    Nice shots Bob! I'm not digging either background too much myself. Out of the two backgrounds above, I prefer the softer colors of the first one.

However, since the hummingbirds and flower have so much color on their own, I actually prefer the simpler backgrounds that you usually use.

Rich

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	201A2912_resized2.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	1371

Hi Bob,
    Just wanted to say thanks for all the tips. I used a four flash setup this weekend to shoot some local ruby throated hummingbirds and got a decent result (attached). I experimented with backgrounds and decided using a matching flower to the bait was what I liked best. Details - 5DMKIII, 300 2.8 II w 25mm extension tube, f16, 1/200, flashes set at 1/32 power.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post

Hi Bob,
    Just wanted to say thanks for all the tips. I used a four flash setup this weekend to shoot some local ruby throated hummingbirds and got a decent result (attached). I experimented with backgrounds and decided using a matching flower to the bait was what I liked best. Details - 5DMKIII, 300 2.8 II w 25mm extension tube, f16, 1/200, flashes set at 1/32 power.
    Cheers
    Vern, Very nice shot and I also like the matching background--Evrything in the picture just seems to work and very nice detail and exposure on the bird. One thing I have found useful is to put a piece of leaf green posterboard behind the background flowers to fill in the dark spots if you are so inclined. I personally like your shot as is.

Nice work,

Bob
    Bob

Good idea about the background. I sort of liked the dark backdrop behind the bird's head in this one but a little brighter might be good too. I'm hoping a male will show up next w/e. I could test your theories about lighting the throat then.....

We had lots of males in mid-summer but I think our residents have moved on and we need a northern one on the way south to come through. I'm jealous of your riches in the hummingbird variety department - may need to book a trip out west (or Costa Rica one day....) to expand my options.

The wings on this one aren't in the best position, but check out the tongue.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	201A2883_resized.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	175.1 KB 
ID:	1372

Thanks again, Vern