Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Capturing Hummers

Re: Capturing Hummers

Thanks Jan
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    Bob, the improvements you have shown since you first started posted these is nothing but remarkable!! You have made it so I already have plans for my yard to be a hb paradise come next spring!

Thanks Denise----This has now become a real challenge for me. Like you I plan to build an HB haven in my back yard this winter----and my wife has a LOWES CREDIT Card---Yippeee [6]

Bob
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams
    Like you I plan to build an HB haven in my back yard this winter

Keep me posted ...I just may have to steal some of your ideas! My plans right now consist of planting every flower I can find that says "attracts hummingbirds" on the tag and extremely increasing my number of feeders. I planted a vine late spring of this year that is suppose to work really well to attract them ...the vine took off like crazy but did not produce one flower![] So for this year, I found butterfly bushes really do attract butterflies galore and sedums really attract the bees!!

Bob, your HB shots are definitely improved to a very high level[Y]

about this shot, I do think the earlier one was a just a little darker, however the later one seems a little too bright(the belly of the bird)IMO and the background has a bit noisy.

just my 2 cents.

Just returned Sunday from our vacation in NM.

The little time we spent at my cousin's house, I was only able to capture a Broad-tailed HB....missed the Rufous and didn't see a Black-chinned.

Sorry folks, w/all the discussion of flashes, I'm still working w/natural lighting.

Bob....as folks are saying; your shots have improved esponentially....nice work!

BTW...had a great time in your state and had the privelege of having it rain on us. LOL

Regards

Bill

But I think the image is much better--What do you guys think?

I think the background is much better, although the noise is somewhat more visible. The bird is just a bit too bright for my liking. Somewhere in between would work best for me I think.

I love Lightroom and I really dislike photoshop

Photoshop is a place that I only visit if it's really necessary [A]

Another Broad-tail, only this time sipping at a Yucca.

7D, 100-400 at 400, f7.1, 1/2000, ISO 640 from approximately 13 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W

BTW...had a great time in your state and had the privelege of having it rain on us. LOL

Bill,

Glad you had a good time in NM, Did I miss the rain???? Dang it. If you witnessed rain here----It certainly was a priveledge. Loved your bird shots, It really reminds me that I need to incorporate flowers in mine. I keep trying the tricks on the videos, but when I replace the feeder with the flower, the birds seem to ignore it or they pull the flowers out looking for the feeder. Maybe I will try different flowers next time.--Also, You did good with the broad billed, I haven't recognized one of those, and I only live 20 miles from Albuquerque. Keep shooting and keep posting.

Bob
    Bob

Bill,

I like the flowers being in the image but the birds look soft, I wonder if your autofocus had locked on to the flowers instead of the bird, the background is nice as well.

Bob & Sheiky,

I'm shocked you guys are using Lightroom exclusively, I have never used Lightroom, I do all my processing in Photoshop. I know it can do all the basic processing but I love using layers and masks, being able to blend in adjustment layers etc etc... I guess I'm going to have to investigate Lightroom some more but it's hard to find time for everything.

Joel

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.32.28/_5F00_43V8174.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto

Bob, your HB shots are definitely improved to a very high level[img]/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img]

about this shot, I do think the earlier one was a just a little darker, however the later one seems a little too bright(the belly of the bird)IMO and the background has a bit noisy.

just my 2 cents.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

JJ, Your tough. But again, I agree with you. I think the noise came from my efforts to sharpen in PS. I followed the instructions (I think), but I had a rough time figuring out how to convert and resize in PS. I did recognize this and tried to use the noise reduction filter but I was afraid it would soften the image too much, so I just gave it a little bump. I am not sure how to balance sharpness with noise reduction yet, something I need to study a little more.

One question for you: I am getting huge color differences between PS and Lightroom, Any suggestions???

Thanks,

Bob
    Bob