Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Capturing Hummers

Re: Capturing Hummers

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade
    I'm shocked you guys are using Lightroom exclusively, I have never used Lightroom, I do all my processing in Photoshop

Joel, I use lightroom because the learning curve is something I can almost handle. I have been an owner of PS for about 3 years and have read andwatched a ton of video tutorials, but I just can't seem to get a good grasp of PS. It seems even the simplest things require a huge amount of effort to me. Nothing in PS seems to "flow" logically to me.Even a simple conversion toJPEG is a multi stepped operation----So, I decided tofocus most of my efforts on the photographic technique and composition rather than manipulation of the photo.I know I am missing a lot by not working with PS more,butmy intrest lie in the capture of the image rather than the processing. Lightroom gives me a decent balance between power and ease of use.

Although, when I see images like this one you posted, I really have to 2nd guess my priorities. This image you created is nothing short of fantastic, pure artistry. Simply beautiful. I love it [Y] [Y] [Y].

Bob
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams
    JJ, Your tough.

I didn't mean it, Bob(I know you were kidding) at least I used "however" instead of "but"[:P] anyway, don't take my words too serious, i'v been just learning photography.

I am not sure how to balance sharpness with noise reduction yet,

I guess that's why Joel likes using layers and masks so you can adjust your main subject and background separatly( just guess, maybe I'm wrong)

One question for you: I am getting huge color differences between PS and Lightroom, Any suggestions???

now you really make me feel embarrassed cause I have just started learning PS, and accurately I have the same question to ask, I got different color within my PS, DPP, and preview(I use Mac), can anybody help?

<script id="gtbTranslateElementCode"]<!--
    var gtbTranslateOnElementLoaded;(function(){var lib = null;var checkReadyCount = 0;function sendMessage(message, attrs) { var data = document.getElementById("gtbTranslateElementCode") ; for (var p in attrs) { data.removeAttribute(p); } for (var p in attrs) { if ("undefined" != typeof attrs[p]) { data.setAttribute(p, attrs[p]); } } var evt = document.createEvent("Events"); evt.initEvent(message, true, false); document.dispatchEvent(evt);}function checkLibReady (){ var ready = lib.isAvailable(); if (ready) { sendMessage("gtbTranslateLibReady", {"gtbTranslateError" : false}); return; } if (checkReadyCount++ &gt; 5) { sendMessage("gtbTranslateLibReady", {"gtbTranslateError" : true}); return; } setTimeout(checkLibReady, 100);}gtbTranslateOnElementLoaded = function () { lib = google.translate.TranslateService({}); sendMessage("{EVT_LOADED}", {}, []); var data = document.getElementById("gtbTranslateElementCode") ; data.addEventListener("gtbTranslate", onTranslateRequest, true); data.addEventListener("gtbTranslateCheckReady", onCheckReady, true); data.addEventListener("gtbTranslateRevert", onRevert, true); checkLibReady();};function onCheckReady() { var ready = lib.isAvailable(); sendMessage("gtbTranslateLibReady", {"gtbTranslateError" : !ready});}function onTranslateRequest() { var data = document.getElementById("gtbTranslateElementCode") ; var orig = data.getAttribute("gtbOriginalLang"); var target = data.getAttribute("gtbTargetLang"); lib.translatePage(orig, target, onProgress);}function onProgress(progress, opt_finished, opt_error) { sendMessage("gtbTranslateOnProgress", {"gtbTranslateProgress" : progress, "gtbTranslateFinished" : opt_finished, "gtbTranslateError" : opt_error});}function onRevert() { lib.restore();}})(); (function(){var d=window,e=document;function f(b){var a=e.getElementsByTagName("head")[0];a||(a=e.body.parentNode.appendChild(e.createEleme nt("head")));a.appendChild(b)}function _loadJs(b){var a=e.createElement("script");a.type="text/javascript";a.charset="UTF-8";a.src=b;f(a)}function _loadCss(b){var a=e.createElement("link");a.type="text/css";a.rel="stylesheet";a.charset="UTF-8";a.href=b;f(a)}function _isNS(b){b=b.split(".");for(var a=d,c=0;c&lt;b.length;++c)if(!(a=a[b[c]]))return false;return true}
    function _setupNS(b){b=b.split(".");for(var a=d,c=0;c&lt;b.length;++c)a=a[b[c]]||(a[b[c]]={});return a}d.addEventListener&amp;&amp;typeof e.readyState=="undefined"&amp;&amp;d.addEventListe ner("DOMContentLoaded",function(){e.readyState="co mplete"},false);
    if (_isNS('google.translate.Element')){return}var c=_setupNS('google.translate._const');c._cl='en';c ._cuc='gtbTranslateOnElementLoaded';c._cac='';c._c am='lib';var h='translate.googleapis.com';var b=(window.location.protocol=='https:'?'https://':'http://')+h;c._pah=h;c._pbi=b+'/translate_static/img/te_bk.gif';c._pci=b+'/translate_static/img/te_ctrl3.gif';c._phf=h+'/translate_static/js/element/hrs.swf';c._pli=b+'/translate_static/img/loading.gif';c._plla=h+'/translate_a/l';c._pmi=b+'/translate_static/img/mini_google.png';c._ps=b+'/translate_static/css/translateelement.css';c._puh='translate.google.com ';_loadCss(c._ps);_loadJs(b+'/translate_static/js/element/main.js');})();
    // --></script>

Bob,

I do not know why your colors would be different unless you are using a different color space, I don't know about LR but PS has a place to assign the color space, probably need to make sure you're using the same one.

JJphoto is right to some extent...it is easy to adjust the background separately from the subject in photoshop but it offers so much more in terms of editing nondestructively.

I started off with PS and have stuck with it but I agree Bob with your philosophy because there is no doubt that you get better results when you get it right in the camera.....then it becomes even easier to take a good photo to the next level.

Joel

Ok, here are some more that I shot last week---Just now got around to processing. A couple of them are a little soft (OOF) but I like the positioning of the bird, so I posted them anyway. I am still not real happy with the backgrounds or the lack of other elements (Flowers) in them, But I think the birds themselves are starting to get better. These were shot with the same basic techniques as last time. One camera mounted flash set @1/16, one flash for the background set at 1/16 triggered with a pocket wizard. 7D/100-400L Exposure: 1/250, F/11, ISO 200---fully manual flash and camera, tripod mounted and remote triggered. Oh, This only works in a well shaded area, if you shoot in sunshine you willsee quite a bit more ghosting and it will change the exposure considerably. So, for those wanting to shoot hummers, I think this is a good starting point. If you only have one flash, you may try putting the backgrounds in the sun and keeping the bird feeder or flower in the shade---this worked a few times for me. Anyway, hope this helps. I still hav have a lot to learn and practice with and as I learn more, I will continue to share.

One more thing---I have never been able to full appreciate the sharpness of my 100-400 until I started shooting these guys in manual focus and tripod mounted. I now love this lens.

Here are the results:

Hope you enoy,

Bob
    Bob

Bob,

These lastest photos are so beautiful! I would give anything to capture hummers the way you do! I have packed away my feeders now for the year but next spring ...I'm going to be a woman on a mission!!! [:P]

Denise

Thanks for the support Denise, I guess in Wisconson, its probably starting to get chilly. Its cooled down a bit here as well, but I think I may still have a week or two of humming birds--Although they are allready starting to thin out. I think I only have a couple of regulars left. I really wanted to try and get a couple of more flashes going and a little better background, but I think I too, have run out of time for that. Maybe next year, after I load up my Christmas list [].

On another subject, I noticed you were considering trading in your 100-400 for something else---If your still interested in Hummers, you may want to re-consider. I have really grown to love this lens for this type of shooting.

Thanks again for looking,

Bob

Bob

Yeah, I think the 70-200 would go first (and maybe only) if I get the 70-300mm.

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

Yeah, I think the 70-200 would go first (and maybe only) if I get the 70-300mm.

Denise
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Now, That sounds like a winning idea---If the 70-300 has a decent IQ.

Bob

Bob

Bob, these shots of hummingbirds are simply awesome! I love each o f them. lighting and color are very nice! you just showed us how fast a person can learn, let's see how fast Denise can go[:P]( just teasing you Denise)

I believe this will be my last capture of a hummingbird in my backyard for 2010.

It was taken 9/2 just before I left for NM and I haven't seen one since my return on 9/12.

male juvie Ruby-throated HB