Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Capturing Hummers

Re: Capturing Hummers

Nice shot Bill, and love the lighting

Bob
    Bob

Here is a quick one I shot this morning hand held, natural light, on a canon 40D with a EF F2.8 IS 70-200, manual focus, ISO 100, 1/500sec, f/2.8.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/1307._5F00_007-copy.jpg[/img]

Why I use three feeders

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/6332.IMG_5F00_6339-copy.jpg[/img]

Thanks Brant and Bob for the compliments.

Tom....2 nice perch shots, but I

<p class="MsoNormal"]I posted this on the "Birds" string but no comments---Perhaps I'll try and see what the H-Bird connoisseurs thought. I personaly did not care for the Walmart background but did think the flower made difference in overall presentation. For some reason (to me) no matter how good the portrait of an H-Bird is, if there is no flower/flowers in the shot it just seems to be missing something (unless they are perched of course)--what do you guys think.
    <p class="MsoNormal"][img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/6786.IMG_5F00_6513.jpg[/img]
    Bob

I fully agree with you ...photos of hb

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Williams
    <p class="MsoNormal"]I personaly did not care for the Walmart background but did think the flower made difference in overall presentation. For some reason, if there is no flower/flowers in the shot it just seems to be missing something
    <p class="MsoNormal"]-what do you guys think.

Hey Bob,

I'm not a big fan of this background either. I think it just may be too bright and artificial looking. It also reminds me of Fall colors as opposed to Spring or Summer colors, but what do I know about flowers. I don't even have a Garden. [] I would also prefer some green in the background.

As far as the photo goes. I too like a flower in the shot..., sometimes HB shots can look too clinical or scientific without the flower. I do however, think that the flower is a bit over exposed. I think that the bird is very nicely exposed though. I also like the shutter-speed and wing blur. I always like catch light in the eye, but I'm a little unsure whether I like 2 distinct catch lights, maybe even three? Believe me when I tell you that I'm clueless when it comes to lighting, but I do know what I like when I see it.

The background looks very creamy with no noise, another nice plus!

I think there is too much negative space at the top of the photo (which can easily be fixed by cropping, and of course the obvious, which is you have cut off the birds tail and feet and for that reason I believe that this shot is not a keeper, as it leads the viewers eye down the length of the bird and directly out of the frame which further exacerbates the omission.

I know you can do better.., because I've seen you do better and I know that there are many good things about this photo that will certainly help you nail your next attempt. []

Keep posting!

Rich

@ Richard and Denise, Thanks for your comments---Just to let you know--I bought and orange an a green background and both ended up as garage rags--They were both just a little too loud for me. I have tried several artificial back grounds but keep coming back to the natural ones for a few reasons: 1. they just look better; 2. they fit the "vision" of hummingbirds better; and 3. Plants and flowers are just easier to light and are very forgiving if the light is a little dark or a little light allowing one to focus on the birds exposure. Now, If I can just balance exposure between the bird and the flower he is feeding on, I should be in pretty good shape.

Rich, your right, the flower is blown out and the crop is off. The only reason Im keeping it is because it has the flower in it--I only have a couple of these, so when I get a few more with flowers, I
    Bob

Bob....I

The female's are starting to make an appearance....I witnessed a few territorial battles in the garden this morning. I wish I was quick enough w/the camera to follow their frenetic flight during these battles.

Here's a female (territory victor?) that held her hover long enough for me to capture.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/4431.fRTHB.jpg[/img]

Thanks for looking

Bill