Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Capturing Hummers

Re: Capturing Hummers

Hi Bill,

Nice Capture!

Rich

Nice shot Bill. No shortage of hummers here in Western NY this year just a shortage on shooting time for me.

Tom

Thank you Rich & Tom for your compliments.

This is female from this morning, finally making use of some perches I put up.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/5100.fRTHB-perched.jpg[/img]

Thanks for looking

Bill

Today's capture, the elusive male RTH. All shots taken with 40D, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, natural late afternoon sunlight on a beautiful 4th of July in Western New york.

Thanks for looking. Comments are always welcome.

Tom

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/7673._5F00_009-copy.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/5187._5F00_010-copy.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/5287._5F00_030-copy.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/4278._5F00_031-copy.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W

This is female from this morning, finally making use of some perches I put up.

Bill
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Very nice Bill. I like the pose and head angle, sharpness is great. You might try a version with a little cropped off the left sideso the frame is slightly more vertical. Very nice image.

thanks Joel....I

m RTHB taken this morning

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/770x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/8171.m-RTHB-23-copy_5F00_DxO.jpg[/img]

Thanks for looking

Well, Its almost that time of year again so I thought I would revive this thread. Since I don't have any new H-Bird pics yet I thought I would ask a couple of questions and fill you in on recent preparations I have been making in anticipation of the arrival of my favorite subjects.

First, after a dissapointing year (last year) primarly due to problems with ghosting, I decided I needed two things to overcome these problems; More flash power and a means to isolate my birds and backgrounds from as much ambient light as possible. With this in mind, I decided to give up on the Vivatar flashes since they will only go down to 1/16 power. Don't get me wrong---these are great flashes and have served me well, but I just wanted the option of faster flash durations, so I purchased another 430 EXII and hopefully one more before the birds arrive. This will increase my flash inventory to 4 430's and 1 580 all capable of 1/64 flash power or 1/30,000 flash duration which should get me where I want. My intent is to use two 430's on the background and the other 3 on the bird at no more than a 3 foot range---the birds seem to be fairly tolerant of this type of set up. With all of this in mind, I spent this weekend building my "hummingbird studio" . The intent is to isolate most of the ambient outdoor light from the background while still retaining versatility in the types of backgrounds I can use---I'll try to post photo's and explanations of this "engineering masterpiece" sometime this weekend.

Second, Zenfolio now offers a blog service for thier members and I thought I would give it a try but I have never operated or even participated in a blog before. So here are my questions:

1. Would an open discussion on the trials and tribulations of H-bird photograpahy be a good subject?
    and....
    2. Would any of you be interested in participating in a blog like this?

Just curious, please let me know what you honestly think?

Bob
    Bob

Bob, I think if the writting and story is enjoyable and well written I think people would enjoy it. I too use zenfolio, however, I have my own blog on my personal site. I'm wondering if I should start using their blog to give some of the photos a history. I'll have to look into it.

By the way your photos are great. Do you sit in a bird blind or have a large lens? I use the Canon 70-300 non L lens (I'd love to trade up to it though). I can't hotlink from ZF, but I'll post a link until I can get it uploaded elsewhere: http://www.jrogdenphotography.com/wi...other/ec6f0140 - the male wouldn't come out to play, only the female.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    Well, Its almost that time of year again so I thought I would revive this thread. Since I don't have any new H-Bird pics yet I thought I would ask a couple of questions and fill you in on recent preparations I have been making in anticipation of the arrival of my favorite subjects.

Bob
    You and I must be having the same thought process as of late!!! I too have been planning my strategy for getting better hb photos. Looking at photos from last year the Orioles and hb's were in my yard around May 10th but I am already planning for their arrival! With the extremely mild winter we have had, I am wondering if it is safe to assume they will arrive slightly earlier this year(?)

Anyway, I have made a few purchases in anticipation of their arrival although I will still be limited to space and to only 2 flashes so I will have to make it the best that I can. I have no choice but to hang the hb feeders off of my garage because of where the sun hits my yard but I have purchased some clamps that I will be nailing to the siding which will make it easy to put up & take down a variety of different background cloths and colored foam boards, which in turn will make a much better background than siding! Also, I am hoping the Manfrotto flex-arm & clamp will work well attaching to the gutter and then I can bend into position the direction of the flash where I need it depending on the time of day. The other thing I am thinking is since I only have 2 flashes, I could use the Vanguard utility arm to hold a reflector and my lightstand for the other flash. Lots of trial and error coming up for me!

As far as your blog goes, I too have never had the chance to partake in one but I very much would like to see yours up and going ...I would find it very interesting.

Cheers to an up and coming good HB season!!

Denise
    Last edited by ddt0725; 03-07-2012 at 12:28 AM.