Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My very first Lightning shots

Re: My very first Lightning shots

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane

Cool Shots.., I hope you used a Carbon Fiber Tripod, so you don't get fried!

That looks pretty scary!

That first shot is kind of unusual with the lightning going sideways as opposed to striking the ground.

Rich
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

The lightning was very close, some strikes even hit our nieghborhood and yes, I had my trusty Gitzo CF tripod[:#]

Bob
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane

Cool Shots.., I hope you used a Carbon Fiber Tripod, so you don't get fried!

That looks pretty scary!

That first shot is kind of unusual with the lightning going sideways as opposed to striking the ground.

Rich

The lightning was very close, some strikes even hit our nieghborhood and yes, I had my trusty Gitzo CF tripod[:#]

Bob
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

Wow, looks like one heck of a storm!! Awesome shots, Bob!

Thanks Denise.
    Bob

Just an FYI Bob (and others)...carbon fiber does conduct electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams
    Her is the crop you suggested:

Hmm I'm not sure about it. I like the fact that it lost the disturbing objects, however it somehow lost a sense of nature in it as well. It does seem unnatural going this way, while with the foreground objects you can see that it actually happened. I guess I was wrong [] What do you think yourself?

<div>

Don't know exactly why the color purple---Just before the storm @ sunset the sky was actually a very rich gold color.

I'm not sure either, but I guess you used auto white balance, which could be off for these shots. And perhaps the lightning creates this sort of color due to electrons and gasses or something(like the space photos from Jon Ruyle)...really I have no clue.

Why is the sky normally blue when you look upwards? While if you see shots from a space shuttle or something, it's all black around the earth [A]

This could be an interesting debate [:P]
    </div>

Hmm I'm not sure about it. I like the fact that it lost the disturbing objects, however it somehow lost a sense of nature in it as well. It does seem unnatural going this way, while with the foreground objects you can see that it actually happened. I guess I was wrong [] What do you think yourself?

<div>

Don't know exactly why the color purple---Just before the storm @ sunset the sky was actually a very rich gold color.

I'm not sure either, but I guess you used auto white balance, which could be off for these shots. And perhaps the lightning creates this sort of color due to electrons and gasses or something(like the space photos from Jon Ruyle)...really I have no clue.

Why is the sky normally blue when you look upwards? While if you see shots from a space shuttle or something, it's all black around the earth [A]

This could be an interesting debate [:P]
    </div>

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    Why is the sky normally blue when you look upwards? While if you see shots from a space shuttle or something, it's all black around the earth

Simple answer for you Jan;

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]"The blue color of the sky is due to Rayleigh scattering. As light moves through the atmosphere, most of the longer wavelengths pass straight through. Little of the red, orange and yellow light is affected by the air. <o></o>

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]However, much of the shorter wavelength light is absorbed by the gas molecules. The absorbed blue light is then radiated in different directions. It gets scattered all around the sky. Whichever direction you look, some of this scattered blue light reaches you. Since you see the blue light from everywhere overhead, the sky looks blue. <o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]Out in space, the sky looks dark and black, instead of blue because there is no atmosphere. There is no scattered light to reach your eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W

Simple answer for you Jan;

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]"The blue color of the sky is due to Rayleigh scattering. As light moves through the atmosphere, most of the longer wavelengths pass straight through. Little of the red, orange and yellow light is affected by the air.

I knew someone would answer this question [:P], and I just figured it was because we had lots dirt in the air.

Bob
    Bob

Hmm I'm not sure about it. I like the fact that it lost the disturbing objects, however it somehow lost a sense of nature in it as well. It does seem unnatural going this way, while with the foreground objects you can see that it actually happened. I guess I was wrong [img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img] What do you think yourself?

I agree with you, it looks fake withoutreference objects

Bob

Nope, White balance was set to daylight--I figured this was as close to white light as I could get, But---this was also the color actually seen, so I left it alone. I also liked it because it was a little different than normal.

Bob
    Bob