Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My very first Lightning shots

Re: My very first Lightning shots

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W

Just an FYI Bob (and others)...carbon fiber does conduct electricity.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

NOW you tell me [:#]
    Bob

Thanks for the "simple" answer Bill, it does make a lot of sense [] After reading it 3 times, I learned something today [Y]

<div>

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams
    it looks fake withoutreference objects

Exactly my point. Too bad..
    </div>

I really like the shots... great job!

Well Bob, at least you didn't go up on the roof like someone else I know in the ABQ area....[li]

Well Bob, at least you didn't go up on the roof like someone else I know in the ABQ area....[img]/emoticons/emotion-60.gif[/img]
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Nope, I was sitting down, under cover of my back porch with my remote in one hand and a [B] in the other.
    Bob

Thanks Matt
    Bob

Well Bob, at least you didn't go up on the roof like someone else I know in the ABQ area....[img]/emoticons/emotion-60.gif[/img]

No doubt...that must be your Nikonian cousin [:P]

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wertman

Bob,

You have captued the light streak very well. I am curious as to why the sky is so purple though? Was it dusk or is this over exposure? Also I find the tree tops and roofs in the neighborhood a little distracting as if you were outside on you patio or deck.

Tom
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I need to clarify something. I have spent a good portion of the day looking at lightning photos and 70%of them have a purple sky so it seems to be pretty normal. Also having trees or something to present scale or a sense of nature is a good thing, but the best shots I have seen are near water/boats, or a park, city skyline etc. However there is nothing like walking out your back door and capturing the sky in action.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wertman

I need to clarify something. I have spent a good portion of the day looking at lightning photos and 70%of them have a purple sky so it seems to be pretty normal. Also having trees or something to present scale or a sense of nature is a good thing, but the best shots I have seen are near water/boats, or a park, city skyline etc. However there is nothing like walking out your back door and capturing the sky in action.

Tom, No need to clarify, I understood exactly what you were saying and your absolutely correct. Though I am proud of these shots, They are not magazine quality with the water, desert or city scapes as a foreground. Though the actual capture of the lightning was one of the easiest photographic endeavors I have done; the real challenge is planning the shot. Those plans would have to include watching the weather, know the location and movementof the storm, knowing theattractive foregrounds/landscapes in your area and then positioning yourself at the right angle at the right timeto capture the lightning with an interesting foreground...and beeing lucky enough to have a strike with your shutter open. Thats what makes a great lightning shot.Just like most other photographic subjects, the planning, set up and willingness to stay the course is paramount. Thats what I think seperates the money makers from the hobbiests.

But for now, as an inexperienced hobbiest, I was pretty happy just to get ashot of a lightning strike. Being able to apply theory to practice was an accomplishment for me. Theory that I have primarily learned from the participants and administrators of this forum. Two years ago, I would have been out there trying to snap a shutter at the same time a strike hits. The fact that I took a semi educated approach to this effort and actually produced decent photos of lightning strikes is a credit to this forum and that I am proud of.

So, Don't be afraid to critique, nor apolgize for your critique. I personaly value them.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob

Bob,

This is a great forum and I have learned a lot from reading it. I don't chime in much unless I have something good to offer or a question. Such as posting my hummingbird shots to share with you another technique I find useful. Once you get the flash technique down I will be asking for specifics.

Thanks,

Tom