Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon Releases Six New L-Series EF Lenses and Two New Extenders

Re: Canon Releases Six New L-Series EF Lenses And Accessories

(as I said in a different forum)

Does anyone see the irony? They announced these lenses along with the 60D. So, here's a plastic low-ish end body. And here are 6, no make them 8, lenses that most folks who will buy said body will never be able to afford.

Eh? [*-)]

Tony

It's really 6 Lenses with 2 Extenders.

Where's the new Flagship Full Frame Body; 1Ds MKIV ? What's it going to cost, $8000?

I think they will make a big splash with more announcements before Photokina.

Rich

I am pretty excited about the 70-300 mm f4.0-5.6 IS. I've been seriously considering buying the 70-200 mm f/4 IS. If the IQ is similar,the extra 100 mm for a few hundred dollars may be a bargin. And I was also looking at both extenders. Can't wait for the reviews and actual price points on all of these. If nothing else, maybe the prices of the 70-200 f4 IS/extenders (mrk II) will come down.

I am disappointed that there weren't any new consumer/prosumer primes released. I had read rumors that the35 mm f/2 or the 50 f1.4would be updated, potentially with IS. I would have considered both of those.

As for the300/400/500/600 primes just released....the list of things I would buy if I ever won the lottery just expanded. Too bad, I don't even play the lottery. [:P]

Wow - that's quite a few lenses! But I'm really not at all wow-ed by these additions to the lineup. []

The 8-15mm fisheye zoom? The fisheye look has it's place, sure - but that place isn't worth a $1400 spot in my camera bag.

The new 300mm and 400mm primes are nice, sure. But the original versions were steeply priced, these even more so.

The new 70-300mm f/4-5.6L is potentially the most interesting of the lineup, but franklyI'm pretty thoroughly<span class="bbc_u"]unimpressed by this new lens. It's only 24% shorter and 24% lighter than the 100-400mm L, and gives up 100mm on the long end - and I think most people buy the 100-400mm for the long end. Yes, it has better IS than the 100-400mm. But not a faster aperture, and unfortunately it's still variable aperture - a 70-300mm or even 100-300mm with a constant f/4 would have been better. I changed out my 300mm f/4L IS for the 100-400mm because I wanted the extra 100mm. The 100-400mm is relatively large/heavy, so I got the 70-300mm DO for times when carrying the 100-400mm isn't practical. I've got $2K just waiting to be spent on a new lens, but I see absolutely no need for this 70-300 L - if I'm going to give up 100mm on the long end for portability and convenience, a 24% savings in size/weight isn't worth it when I can save nearly 50% in size/weight with the 70-300 DO.

<div>

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72
    I am pretty excited about the 70-300 mm f4.0-5.6 IS. I've been seriously considering buying the 70-200 mm f/4 IS. If the IQ is similar,the extra 100 mm for a few hundred dollars may be a bargin. And I was also looking at both extenders

Keep in mind that you're getting 100mm but your losing a stop of light, going from f/4 to f/5.6. An f/5.6 apertureat the long end means if you add one of those new extenders (or an old one) to this new 70-300mm L, you will lose autofocus capability unless you have a 1-series body (and even a 1-series body will not AF with this new 70-300mm L + 2x Extender, since that will be f/11 at the long end).

The new extenders, hmmmm... The possible bright spot for me in these announcements is an optically improved 2x III Extender - I'll wait until Bryan gets one in his hands and tests it with the 70-200mm II. The 100-400mm is optically superior to the 70-200 II + 2x II Extender, but if the 70-200mm II + 2x III is optically equal to the 100-400mm that would give a weather-sealed 140-400mm f/5.6 with 4-stop IS (well worth losing 2/3 of a stop at the short end).
    </div>

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

The new 70-300mm f/4-5.6L is potentially the most interesting of the lineup, but franklyI'm pretty thoroughly<span class="bbc_u"]unimpressed by this new lens. It's only 24% shorter and 24% lighter than the 100-400mm L, and gives up 100mm on the long end - and I think most people buy the 100-400mm for the long end. Yes, it has better IS than the 100-400mm. But not a faster aperture, and unfortunately it's still variable aperture - a 70-300mm or even 100-300mm with a constant f/4 would have been better. I changed out my 300mm f/4L IS for the 100-400mm because I wanted the extra 100mm. The 100-400mm is relatively large/heavy, so I got the 70-300mm DO for times when carrying the 100-400mm isn't practical. I've got $2K just waiting to be spent on a new lens, but I see absolutely no need for this 70-300 L - if I'm going to give up 100mm on the long end for portability and convenience, a 24% savings in size/weight isn't worth it when I can save nearly 50% in size/weight with the 70-300 DO.

This lens is intriging to me and it will come down to image quality. I think this announcement pretty much puts the nail in the coffin for DO technology. Canon does not seem to be pursuing it anymore and that is probably due to all of the negative things written about it over the last few years. If I can get better IQ without the necessary post processing required from the 70-300 DO I am going for it. Holding off on buying the DO will have been a good thing for me. For outdoor shooting at 300, f/5.6 is fine. I can't see myself needing 300 indoors anyways. I own a 70-200 f/2.8L IS and use it mostly for indoor sports because outside as a walk around lens it is too heavy. I welcome the size and weight reduction of this new lens. But again it is going to come down to IQ so I can't wait to see some samples.

Tom
    <div>

</div>

<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wertman
    I think this announcement pretty much puts the nail in the coffin for DO technology.

I'm not sure on that one -DO lenses are niche lenses, intended for those for whom size/weight are a premium worth sacrifices (in terms of money or IQ). This new 70-300mm L is 43% longer and 46% heavier than the 70-300mm DO - so the 'need' for the smaller/lighter DO lens is still there.

About 8 months ago, Canon filed patents on a 300mm f/2.8 and a 400mm f/4 with a pair of DO elements in each lens. Patents are not necessarily indications that such lenses will be produced, but it's clear that Canon is still doing R&amp;D for DO lenses.

<div>

I welcome the size and weight reduction of this new lens. But again it is going to come down to IQ so I can't wait to see some samples.

That's a great point - the 70-200mm II @ 100-200mm has significantly better IQ than the 100-400mm @ 100-200mm. If the new 70-300mm L has a similar margin of improvement throughout the overlap with the 100-400mm, that would make it more attractive. The new 70-300mm is an interesting lens, especially compared to the 70-300mm non-DO - but personally, not that attractive to me.

For outdoor shooting at 300, f/5.6 is fine. I can't see myself needing 300 indoors anyways.
    </div>

It usually is, yes. And 300mm indoors, especially on a crop body - not too useful. But for nature shooting, 300mm isn't usually long enough - my 100-400mm is often zoomed out to the long end, and even then I often want more reach. When I bring the 70-300 DO, I'm already compromising on focal length and IQ for size/weight convenience, so even if this new lens isn't a compromise on IQ it's still a compromise on focal length and I'm not gaining nearly as much convenience.

Alan

Yawn....

Maybe this will lower the price of the current 300mm 2.8. I love the lens and never want to take it back when I rent it... Maybe it'll make the market at bit better for us cheapies []

Dang, Canon is working hard to keep Brian busy with the reviews. They must have been jealous that he started reviewing Nikon too.

Ahh, college kid budget. I'll be sticking with craigslist and all the trust worthy sellers on these forums for my lens purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

I think this announcement pretty much puts the nail in the coffin for DO technology.

I'm not sure on that one -DO lenses are niche lenses, intended for those for whom size/weight are a premium worth sacrifices (in terms of money or IQ). This new 70-300mm L is 43% longer and 46% heavier than the 70-300mm DO - so the 'need' for the smaller/lighter DO lens is still there.

Once extended to 300mm its about the same length. Looks like the new one does not need to extend.

About 8 months ago, Canon filed patents on a 300mm f/2.8 and a 400mm f/4 with a pair of DO elements in each lens. Patents are not necessarily indications that such lenses will be produced, but it's clear that Canon is still doing R&amp;D for DO lenses.

My point is that what was announced does not include DO. How much longer are we willing to wait for better DO. At this rate it will be 6-8 years sinceinitial release.
    <div>

I welcome the size and weight reduction of this new lens. But again it is going to come down to IQ so I can't wait to see some samples.

The new 70-300mm is an interesting lens, especially compared to the 70-300mm non-DO - but personally, not that attractive to me.

If I just bought a 70-300 DO I might agree.

For outdoor shooting at 300, f/5.6 is fine. I can't see myself needing 300 indoors anyways.
    </div>

It usually is, yes. And 300mm indoors, especially on a crop body - not too useful. But for nature shooting, 300mm isn't usually long enough - my 100-400mm is often zoomed out to the long end, and even then I often want more reach. When I bring the 70-300 DO, I'm already compromising on focal length and IQ for size/weight convenience, so even if this new lens isn't a compromise on IQ it's still a compromise on focal length and I'm not gaining nearly as much convenience.

If you mean wildlife than we really need 500-600 minimum because nothing is really long enough. I don't think this lens isintended to compete at that level.

Tom
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>