Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon Releases Six New L-Series EF Lenses and Two New Extenders

Re: Canon Releases Six New L-Series EF Lenses And Accessories

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Wow
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72
    I am pretty excited about the 70-300 mm f4.0-5.6 IS. I've been seriously considering buying the 70-200 mm f/4 IS. If the IQ is similar,the extra 100 mm for a few hundred dollars may be a bargin. And I was also looking at both extenders
    <div>

Keep in mind that you're getting 100mm but your losing a stop of light, going from f/4 to f/5.6. An f/5.6 apertureat the long end means if you add one of those new extenders (or an old one) to this new 70-300mm L, you will lose autofocus capability unless you have a 1-series body (and even a 1-series body will not AF with this new 70-300mm L + 2x Extender, since that will be f/11 at the long end).

<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I definitely willbe looking at what range that is f/4 and what range is f/5.6.The70-300 Lis also 1 lb lighter than the 100-400, but ~0.75 lb heavier than the 70-200 f/4. It is short and somewhat stumpy, but, if I am readingthe MTF chartscorrectly, the optics should be very good (http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_70_300_f_4_5_6l_is_usm#Overview). I had been planning to get a 70-200 f/4 this year and then start saving for a 100-400....this could be a nice compromise.

I have a 7D, could you explain the extenders not working at certain apertures?
    </div>

When I bring the 70-300 DO, I'm already compromising on focal length and IQ for size/weight convenience, so even if this new lens isn't a compromise on IQ it's still a compromise on focal length and I'm not gaining nearly as much convenience.

It'll be interesting to seehow much better the new 70-300mm Lwill be over the 70-300 DO in terms of IQ. Since Canon slaps the L lable on the new 70-300, it should be better than the DO. But would it be better enough to justify the size, weight and price increase over the DO is another question.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodger

Ahh, college kid budget. I'll be sticking with craigslist and all the trust worthy sellers on these forums for my lens purchases.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Good idea. Sooooo anybody want to sell their 300mm f2.8 for like 1000$? [:d] haha

Ok the announcment says "The EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens carries on this tradition with improved image quality, lighter weight, improved Image Stabilization and enhanced durability"

My 300mmF2.8l and 500mmF4.l are both razor sharp now. Is there going to be another level of sharpness and qualitythat we can expect? Will my fingers bleed when I pickup these lens because they have gotten to sharp?Lighter weight would be welcome but for a few thousand dollars I can deal with an extra pound.

The extenders look the most interesting. I wouldn't mind an extedner upgrade if itimproves quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodger
    Ahh, college kid budget. I'll be sticking with craigslist and all the trust worthy sellers on these forums for my lens purchases.
    Ditto! But seriously, you can't beat great savings from trustworthy, reputable resellers on Craigslist. I'm saving tons of money over retail stores in Toronto by purchasing used. []

The 8-15mm fisheye zoom? The fisheye look has it's place, sure - but that place isn't worth a $1400 spot in my camera bag.

Yeah, fisheye is definitely an in-your-face effect. Most would say to use it sparingly. [] I've been thinking about getting one for starry timelapse videos (to complement the 24mm f/1.4 II).

It's only 24% shorter and 24% lighter than the 100-400mm L, and gives up 100mm on the long end - and I think most people buy the 100-400mm for the long end.

I definitely would have preferred a new version of the 100-400. Even more, I would have liked to see a 500mm f/5.6 L IS for around $2,500. But Canon doesn't seem to tailor lenses to my specific tastes and budget. []

<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="content-type" />
    <div>

Quote Originally Posted by darklord
    It'll be interesting to seehow much better the new 70-300mm Lwill be over the 70-300 DO in terms of IQ.

To me, there isn't really any comparison. The way I see it, the 70-300 DO answers this question: "What is the sharpest, highest quality telezoom I get in four inches and one and a half pounds, no matter the cost?" There are already many lenses that are both cheaper and higher quality, but none that fit the size/weight profile.

Like the others, I am really curious about how the new 70-300 will compare to the 70-200 f/4 L IS. If it stays around f/4 at 200mm, and the image quality is comparable (especially resolution and bokeh, I can live with a bit more distortion), I'll definitely buy it: it would be worth the extra weight and cost to me.
    </div>

Wow I read this on another site and my attention went straight to the 70-300L. (Mostly because the rest is way out of budget-range probably)

I always thought the 100-400 was going to be my first purchase in the future, but now I'm really wondering.

The new 70-300:

I hope it's as sharp and good as the latest new L-lenses. We'll have to see.

It's weathersealed which is a big plus.

It's fairly small, which helps with stabilizing it. The length of the 100-400 makes it a pretty long swing if you're following an airplane at 400mm.

It's internal focus and zoom, I don't know but I just like the look and handling a lot.

4-stops image stabilizer, very nice!

0.21x magnification which is not that bad.

I hope it will not be too expensive. Somewhere around the 100-400 price? [A]

<div>

The new 70-300mm f/4-5.6L is potentially the most interesting of the lineup, but franklyI'm pretty thoroughly<span class="bbc_u"]unimpressed by this new lens

I would be too if I had just bought the DO version [:P]

<div>

I can save nearly 50% in size/weight with the 70-300 DO.

Isn't the new 70-300L smaller than the 70-300 DO fully extended?? [A]

Anyway, pretty big updates!

To be honest the 60D doesn't really blow my mind. Too much consumer functions which I probably would not need. And for the price/specifications ratio I'd rather have the 7D.

A fish-eye zoom is a nice idea, however spending big money on a fish-eye...hmmm [^o)]

Jan
    </div>

</div>

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky

I hope it will not be too expensive. Somewhere around the 100-400 price? [img]/emoticons/emotion-13.gif[/img]

Looks like ~$1,500 released in late October (bottom of the write up on it on this link). I wonder what it will be going for on amazon, etc..

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Press-Release/Canon-2010-Summer-Lens-Announcement.aspx

If that's true, it's very promising. Now I'm really interested in some reviewing [:P]

When I first read about this this morning, I was alittle disappointed. I was expecting an entirely different announcement coming our way like a 135mm IS or an updated 100-400mmor 35mm. So, originally I thought the only thing that looks good to me are the updated extenders.

Now that I've had time for the wheels to turn a bit ...I'm wondering if it would be worth my ditching my 100-400mm &amp; 70-200 f/4 IS along with my 1.4ex II and just go with thenewCanon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM &amp; the new 1.4ex III and/or 2x III (?) I guess this announcement gave me more to think about than I initially realized! It will be interesting to see the reviews when they come out.

Denise