Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon Announces EOS 60D Digital SLR Camera

Re: Canon Announces EOS 60D Digital SLR Camera

Ditto[]

Quote Originally Posted by peety3
    I think you need to go buy enough 1D Mark IVs to make you happy. Unfortunately, you're never going to get a 1-series camera in a 60-series price point.

I think people are just pissy that the new camera announcement wasn't a 5dIII or a new 1d. The upgrades sounded good to me, and lacking any kind of hands on review, we really have no idea how this thing preforms.

I must admit, I was ratherdisappointedwhen I saw 8 new lenses and none that were of interest to me. Thought maybe we'd be getting the 24-70 IS.

Why would you anticipate/expect autofocus improvements? By the way, it did improve - cross-type (at f/5.6!) sensors at all positions sounds new to me.

Sorry, Pete, no improvement in the AF system on the new 60D.

According to Canon, "The EOS 50D has a high-precision 9-point wide area AF that uses cross-type points at f-stops of f/5.6 or faster, [and] ...a diagonally mounted cross-type sensor that is sensitive to both vertical and horizontal lines at f/2.8."

Also according to Canon, "The EOS 40D...has a newly designed, high-precision 9-point wide area AF that uses cross-type points with lenses f/5.6 or faster, [and] ...a diagonally mounted, high-precision cross-type sensor at the center AF point that is sensitive to both vertical and horizontal lines when fast lenses (f/2.8 or faster) are used."

So, in a very 5DII-like manner, the newly announced 60D is using a three year-old AF system, in this case one that was new two camera generations earlier.

Why would you expect a magnesium alloy body in an "advanced amateur" body?

Because the 50D had one. Because the 40D had one. Because the 30D had one. Because the 20D had one. Because the 10D had one.

But, Canon has addressed that concern. If you carefully read the last line of Canon's overview of the 60D, you'll notice that they state, "With continuously curved surfaces, user-friendliness and exuding solidity and refinement, the EOS 60D is true digital inspiration!"

Since those continuously curved plastic surfaces exude solidity, the camera doesn't need the real solidity of a magnesium alloy body.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren
    Very disappointed...

I'm mostly in agreement with Oren on this new body - lots of bells and whistles, but not really an 'upgrade' to the 50D. The lack of a price increase relative to its predecessor is great - but the features that were eliminated in the revision, which helped keep production costs down while adding things like the articulating screen, are losses that outweigh the gains.

I will remain a happy 7D owner - even happier now that I see what the 60D doesn't have to offer.

EDIT: I just read over dpreview's hands-on preview of the 60D, and they have a statement that sums up the 60D's place in the lineup rather nicely:

Quote Originally Posted by dpreview.com
    With the 60D Canon has unashamedly moved the X0D range out of the 'semi pro' bracket and instead focused on the enthusiast photographer looking to upgrade from their Rebel. As a result, it's not the obvious continuation of the 30D - 40D - 50D pattern that its naming might suggest. Rather than being a direct upgrade replacement for the 50D, it's perhaps better understood as a 'Super Rebel.'

Some key features 'lost' from the 50D:
    • plastic body instead of magnesium alloy
    • 4-position controller instead of multiposition joystick controller
    • SD cards instead of CF cards
    • 1 fps slower shooting rate
    • only one custom mode on the mode dial
    • no AF Microadjustment

<div>I just noticed that last one in DPR's preview. Ouch!</div>

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Some key features 'lost' from the 50D:
    • plastic body instead of magnesium alloy
    • 4-position controller instead of multiposition joystick controller
    • SD cards instead of CF cards
    • 1 fps slower shooting rate
    • only one custom mode on the mode dial
    • no AF Microadjustment

<div>I just noticed that last one in DPR's preview. Ouch!</div>

No AF Microadjustment?! That may be the worst thing about this camera--even more so than the loss of the magnesium alloy body.

This is not considered an upgrade but more like a step back where camera body updates are concerned

Why would anyone upgrade from a Rebel Series to the 60D, seriously who??? it would make sense to go directly to the 7D more now than ever as the prices are dropping. The 7D was had at launch date for 1999, now 1500!

Canon, please say it ain't so!
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

So how long will the 50D continue to be available? I don't have the cash at the moment but was set on a 50D as an upgrade from my ageing 400D. I definitely want 6fps and focus micro-adjustment. At first glance, all these bells and whistles on the 60D are of no use to me personally. I'm sure others will think otherwise.

New cheaper 2nd body is the way I'm looking at it!

[]

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters
    No AF Microadjustment?! That may be the worst thing about this camera--even more so than the loss of the magnesium alloy body.

I agree. I wonder why they ditched it? It doesn't seem like the 7D needs AF micro to differentiate it from the 60D.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren
    Vari-angle screen? A vari-angle screen could be very useful for me in many situations, but it also sounds to me like a weak point:

• it could be broken very easily.

• As much as I know, those screens are connected with flat cables to the main electronic circuit and those cables tend to break after a while. When that happens, Canon will charge you 20%-40% price of a new 60D to replace it with a new one.

You might be right, but my personal experience with the reliability of these vari-angle screens has been very good. I've used them in a variety of different camcorders and digicams for about 6 years, under a lot more abuse then I allow for my DSLR, and none of them have broken (yet!). (Broke plenty of other stuff though, like card hinges, automatic lens caps, control dials, etc.)

<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="content-type" />
    <div>

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    lots of bells and whistles, but not really an 'upgrade' to the 50D.

While the 60D is certainly missing some features that the 50D had, it also has some nice upgrades in key areas. For one, ifthe sensor and electronics have the same performance as the 550D, then the low light performance will be much improved over the 50D.

<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="content-type" />
    <div>

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

Yeah, I was all ready to buy my first DSLR with an articulating LCD until I read this. 60D is right out.
    </div>

</div>

Quote Originally Posted by cian3307

So how long will the 50D continue to be available? I don't have the cash at the moment but was set on a 50D as an upgrade from my ageing 400D. I definitely want 6fps and focus micro-adjustment. At first glance, all these bells and whistles on the 60D are of no use to me personally. I'm sure others will think otherwise.
    <p style="CLEAR: both"]

Henry's Canada currently has the 50D Body on clearance. It's 799 Canadian in the current flyer while supplies last.